GO!

How can I get people to look past my appearance??

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 7 of 9: Viewing entries 61 to 70)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Fri Jun 3, '11 5:06pm PST 
Keira I know she is pretty and sounds really sweet, it is hard to believe no one adopted her in all that time. Unfortunately in this area there are so many pitties and bully breed mixes the shelters are full of them. frown

That is great that you are planning to do the CGC and therapy dog work, I think it is a wonderful thing to do and can really help to change peoples' perceptions of the breed. Bianca and I are going to be volunteering in program where they take dogs into schools and juvenile centers and teach kids and teens how to treat animals humanely.
This is the program: http://www.safehumanechicago.org/
[notify]
Keira

Mommy's Girl

Barked: Sat Jun 4, '11 9:07am PST 
Bianca, do you know if they have this program in Georgia, or SC? Because this program sounds really interesting! And since Keira loves kids, and doesn't mind being handled by anyone of any age, I think this could work for her as well! smile
[notify]
Charlie Pete

G-day mate! - Wanna Play?

Barked: Sat Jun 4, '11 10:22am PST 
I'm sorry...I'm going to disagree heartily. Pitties ARE a menace to public safety!! Yesterday I was driving down the street and nearly crashed into the car in front of me when I saw the MOST GORGEOUS white pittie pup with two brown eye patches on the side of the road. Dang that dog was adorable (lot like the original poster here). But clearly a menace. Oh wait...what was it someone said about people being the problem and not the dogs? laugh out loud
[notify]

Keira

Mommy's Girl

Barked: Sat Jun 4, '11 11:06am PST 
laugh out loud OMIGOSH! BOL
I read the first two lines and nearly got mad!
I agree though, sometimes they are just so beautiful that you lose track of what you're doing!
[notify]

Barked: Sat Jun 4, '11 1:34pm PST 
Keira I don't think they have it other places yet but Safe Humane Chicago partnered with Best Friends and I read that they are going to be expanding the program to other places soon.
Here's some info:
http://network.bestfriends.org/6452/news.aspx

Also this website might be useful, it lists therapy dog programs and groups:
http://www.dogplay.com/Activities/Therapy/index.html#overvi ew
[notify]
Torie

If you can roll- in the dirt, do- it!

Barked: Sat Jun 4, '11 1:38pm PST 
Clothes make the pitbull? I'd say go towards cute side.
Bright nylon type colored collar with paw prints or a bandana.
Definitely tone down on any macho image. Sensation or Easy walk harness over prong.

--des
[notify]
Bianca

Graceful as a- moose

Barked: Sat Jun 4, '11 9:11pm PST 
My dogs are plenty cute on their own, but I agree that costumes can help. They also draw people immediately to your dog, so make sure your dog is able to handle that.

Bianca loves to play dress up with the neighbor girls (ages 6, 9 and 10). They put all sorts of silly things on her, some I've sewn and some they invent themselves, and she thinks the attention is great. Of course, if an adult tries to put something on her, she isn't as cooperative, but she puts up with it.

Cody and Zack also put up with a lot of silly costumes. Zack really doesn't care as long as he's with me; Cody is not particularly fond of dressing up, but he is the best of the three at keeping hats on.

Cute tricks are good too. Zack can choose toys by name; Bianca can "sit pretty" and shake hands.

I can't decide if people in my area are extraordinarily well-educated about pit bulls, or extraordinarily bad at breed identification. Very few people who have had bad experiences with pitties, or believe all the rumors, identify any of the dogs as a pit mix. Most of the people who ask if they are pit bulls, have only positive things to say about the breed, or have owned (and loved) a pittie in the past. "Your dog looks exactly like _____, the best dog I ever had," is a comment we get a lot.

ETA: Each of the dogs has some of their costumes on their profile.

Edited by author Sat Jun 4, '11 9:13pm PST

[notify]
Keira

Mommy's Girl

Barked: Sun Jun 5, '11 9:04am PST 
@ Bianca #1- Thanks you! hug

And lol @ the costumes... I think we'll probably stick with bandannas for now, as Keira is just getting used to the idea of something extra around her neck. We are actually thinking about going for a harness, now that she's a little bigger stronger. Just for some added control when she gets excited. It will most likely be pink... big grin It is her favorite color, after all! We've stuck to "girly" looks from the day she became a part of our family.
[notify]
Dingo

Leader of the- Dog Gestapo

Barked: Sun Jun 5, '11 10:46am PST 
I feel you, even though my pittie mix passed many moons ago. When we moved to out new home, my neighbors were constantly telling me my "pit bull" was a danger to everyone around and that they were going to report me to the city because "pit bulls" were not allowed in my city... which they are, by the way.

I'm posting as my "pit bull".

big laugh

Honestly, I would say "I'm sorry, but my dog comes from a well-rounded, loved background and is certainly not going to 'snap' and harm anyone. If you're ignorant enough to believe the hype, then I would appreciate if you would keep your opinion to yourself." I've had to give that speech many a time, as well as the "he's not a pit bull" with face-palm.

You're a gorgeous example of a young pittie and it certainly makes me jealous - I LOVE pitties! cheer
[notify]

Barked: Sun Jun 5, '11 2:42pm PST 
Hey I got this pink harness for Bianca recently (it was in the clearance bin at a pet boutique):
http://www.reddoghouse.com/shop/detail.asp?id=7239
[notify]
  (Page 7 of 9: Viewing entries 61 to 70)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9