GO!

How can I get people to look past my appearance??

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 4 of 9: Viewing entries 31 to 40)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  
Keira

Mommy's Girl

Barked: Mon May 30, '11 12:22pm PST 
@Kai-- I (Keira's Mom) have never met a dog I didn't like. smile And Akita's are big teddy bears as long as they are properly socialized!
@Mr. Pibbs-- Keira is still intact, but will be getting spayed in July. Because of some health issues (Infections, parasites, and allergies) when we adopted her, our vet and I decided to wait until we were sure she'd had enough time to recover and to make sure there were no residual effects.

I am having a hard time remembering who all said what, haha. I've reached my mid day slump. Time to break out the coffee!
But again, THANK YOU for the support and kind words. We adore our Keira. snoopy
[notify]
Buddy

Giving my paw- can get me- anything!

Barked: Mon May 30, '11 12:23pm PST 
I ignore ignorance. If its something I am able to let go, I will. If its a comment that I absolutely cannot tolerate then I try to counter it with facts. But sometimes you just can't help a rude comeback!!

The best thing you can do is have a friendly, socialized dog. That way, they can talk all they want but have nothing to back it up with except tail wags and kisses!!
[notify]
Fergus TT

mmm... feet.

Barked: Mon May 30, '11 12:31pm PST 
My brother has a GSD and most people are pretty afraid of him. They never go up to pet him. Now, I have a wheaten terrier who is cute, cuddly, and looks like a teddy bear. People come up to us all of the time. I see people pointing and smiling when they drive by. My brother couldn't believe the reaction Fergus gets on walks, since it's the complete opposite to his experiences. It's sad since his GSD is the most laid back, cool dog.

Anyway, I think wearing some sort of accessory could soften people's attitudes. Maybe a cute bandana, t-shirt, or backpack? Maybe teach her some tricks to show off? When someone says something rude, she could put her paw over her eyes.. haha laugh out loud
[notify]

Mr. Pibbs- *CGC*

Snuggle up!

Barked: Mon May 30, '11 2:28pm PST 
Oh, I hope I didn't offend you about the neutering. I was just relaying the irony of the situation.
Mr. Pibbs also had to wait a bit before being neutered for the exact same reason's as Keira. He was the sole survivor of a back yard breeder and was infested with worms and parasites.
She is a beautiful girl and I hope you meet many people who are willing to be interested and kind to her!happy dance
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Mon May 30, '11 3:11pm PST 
Fergus think that is the GREATEST IDEA!!! If she could just learn that it would be perfect. Something a bit easier would be to teach a "dead dog" command, which could also be fairly effect.
[notify]
Kai

Still even more- to learn.

Barked: Mon May 30, '11 3:26pm PST 
Keira Mom,
Thank-you,we appreciate the people who do understand that the problem as you know is not the breed but the person who raises them.If raised by responsible people who do the research and ask for and take good advice and know what they're getting into with the so called "bully breeds" there wouldn't be this prejudice and we would all be alot happier and even learn that a pitbull,or Akita,Boxer and all the other bad dogs might just fit into our homes ,too.
[notify]
Toni

Barked: Mon May 30, '11 4:22pm PST 
Im sorry your dealing with ignorant people.I also have a beautiful 2 year old APBT. Shes an amazing dog, and I also get rude comments from people. I even lied to people about her breed because I didnt want the comments. But not anymore. Shes a great, loving, sweet dog, and the breed is an awesome breed. They are generally sweet loving dog. I will get another someday. Keep your head up, and be proud! wink
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Mon May 30, '11 4:53pm PST 
Toto's little human friend, Skye, was raised by a pibbie. She is now 11 and was just here for a nail trim. The dog really doesn't know me at all, HATES to have her feet handled, yet she was a perfect angel thru the whole process. I NEVER once had to remind myself to be careful because she was a pitbull, and an older one at that.
She NEVER created any issues with Skye's friends coming over and visiting and slept with Skye every night. Great dog all around, and a perfect nanny dog!!!
[notify]
Gracie

Barked: Mon May 30, '11 6:15pm PST 
People just seem to assume that they can judge a dog's personality by the breed/what it looks like.

My Gracie is this cute, fluffly, little dog, and everyone assumes when they meet her that she will be a sweetie...until she growls at them. I try to explain to people that you can't just look at a dog and know how it is going to act!
[notify]
Tigger

I'm- Tiggerriffffic!!- !!!

Barked: Mon May 30, '11 6:41pm PST 
ignore them. your baby is beautiful. mine is half pitt and usually gets tons of attention for his cuteness but we do get remarks and often asked if he is mean. That makes me mad. i wouldn't take a mean dog out to a pet store. depending on my mood i may ignore people or smart off. often i tell people he is quite sweet and i'm the one with the temper. they just look at me funny and walk away. lol.

i blame the media for all this. i remember in the 90's everyone hated rotties's. before that people were scared of german shepards. be proud of your baby. i'll trust a dog i don't know more than most peoplesmile
[notify]
  (Page 4 of 9: Viewing entries 31 to 40)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9