GO!

How can I get people to look past my appearance??

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 3 of 9: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Sun May 29, '11 7:34am PST 
Keira's mom, good idea!! We made some out of really cute patterns, we have ones or each season. Right now it's one with little sharks and fishes on it. Make sure to sew around the edges so it won't fray and we make a loop at the top so it can slide over his collar. That way the bandana stays straight and visible, doesn't get bunched up. way to go

I also have a cute blue backpack that Tanuk wears. It's a small size one that just holds extra poo bags and my keys, but people love it when he wears the backpack.
[notify]
Keira

Mommy's Girl

Barked: Sun May 29, '11 9:23pm PST 
I am totally LOVING the support we are finding here! cloud 9
Keira wears pink a LOT, her first 2 collars were plain hot pink, her newest one has a floral design, though we are still using the original hot pink leash. Too many people automatically assume she is male if there is no pink laugh out loud
I get the breeding offers too often. My girl isn't fixed yet-- but she will be as soon as she turns 6 months old, in July. The appointment has already been made and paid for!
I got offered $1000 for her at Petsmart when she was about 10 weeks old by a man who didn't even own a purebred APBT! He had what was obviously an American Bully-- and he even flashed his papers that clearly read that he owned an APBT. shock How crazy!
I just politely told him that she was not available for an price. She's family, and I waited too long for her to give her up for anything! People amaze me with their ignorance.
Thank goodness there are people who think like me out there! hug
[notify]
Sheeba

Always remember- the 7th of Feb- 2009 â

Barked: Sun May 29, '11 11:37pm PST 
wave You are adorable!
Surprisingly I haven't had much negativity towards Sheeba's breed and she's a "scary black dog with a mow-hawk" however I find when she is "pretty in pink" people can't resist patting her.
[notify]

Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Mon May 30, '11 12:37am PST 
I know what you mean. People see Bianca and they think "big mean Shepherd" and they won't come near her...which is a shame because she LOVES to get attention from people!

One thing that can help is if you can put a cute bandana, or a bow or even a t-shirt or something on if your dog will tolerate one. It helps make them seem less "threatening" and you can find bandanas and shirts with cute messages that make it obvious they are friendly. For example I got a bandana for Bianca that says "Don't just stand there, PET ME!" and she has another one with her name and "I'm Friendly" on it. I don't use them when walking around the neighborhood but rather if we are going to an event or festival or something with a lot of people.
[notify]
Jax (earned- her wings- 5/30/12)

Give me your- toy.

Barked: Mon May 30, '11 5:23am PST 
I agree the people are stupid. The other thing is, if they are that ignorant, then they are NOT dog people and you probably don't want them associating with your dog anyway.
[notify]
Mr. Pibbs- *CGC*

Snuggle up!

Barked: Mon May 30, '11 5:50am PST 
I had to laugh when you said people offer to "buy" her all of the time. That has happened to us more times than I can count and even more people inquire if we "are gonna breed him?". I know they are a few cards short of a full deck because all they would have to do is look at his umm, "manly area" and see that is not possible.
Mr. Pibbs and I volunteer every Wendsday at a spay and neuter clinic that is right next door to the rescue and I recently had a young man stop me as we were exiting to beg me to breed him with his female. I calmly explained that rescues do not sell breeding dogs and that he was neutered. I then directed him to maybe go to Animal Control and select one of the many, many, many pits that were scheduled to be euthenized because of back yard breeders. I don't think he ever quite caught on or most likely just didn't care.

BTW, I agree that when you use accessories with your bully it really does eliminate the fear factor!smile
[notify]
Annie

I know I'm cute- rub my belly!

Barked: Mon May 30, '11 9:13am PST 
I had a conversation with a coworker about this. He said "be carefull at the dog park of pit bulls". Apparently some one had a pitbull out there that attacked another dog and did some pretty severe damage. There is blood droplets all over the entry way. I told him sadly its irresponsible owners. If you have any hint your dog may be aggressive toward dogs or people then you need to properly control your dog and as much of his environment as you can. If you have one of those pitbulls that are the loving teddy bears that have a bad rap I feel for you. I would own one myself if I could but my allergies and my job don't really allow me to have a second dog.
[notify]
Kai

Still even more- to learn.

Barked: Mon May 30, '11 9:39am PST 
Keira,
You can walk away and ignore it or come up with a snappy comeback.Our Mommy was once told by a "trainer" that having us around especially with small grandchildren was "like giving a 6yr-old a loaded shotgun and expecting them not to use it" He also told Mom something to the effect that he would rather deal with a whole pack of pitbulls than even one Akita,so we understand.Mom just told him that since she already raised one she could have walked on a piece of dental floss,she'd be fine.We had/have some neighbors who have the same attitude until they meet us,we even changed one neighbors mind about our breed by being introduced to their litte girl who is afraid of dogs and helping her get over her fear. Then we have the people who have no idea what we are,pet us and then ask and tell Mom and Dad we're nothing like the things they heard about the breed. When Mom and Dad had just Mika they were even refused the chance to adopt another dog because Akita's are vicious,child killing,small animal eating,people mauling,unpredictable killers and should not be allowed to be owned by anyone,and if they had any sense they would have Mika put down before she turned on them or killed someone else.that really hurt Mom's feelings,she asked where that idea came from and the person said she read the profile.Mommy told her that some of that may be true if we're in the wrong hands but that wasn't her experience with the breed and Mika mothered her grandchildren,the shelter worker then told Mom an Akita should never be left unsupervised with children and should really be locked away from them.Mommy told her that even a beagle should never be left unsupervised with children and anyone who would leave a child alone with any animal,should probably be charged with plain stupidity. Wish we had a better answer for you cutie but Mom has decided that the best thing she can do is keep us on our best behavior so that we can be ambassadors for the best in our breed.
BTW/Mommy wouldn't be worried about letting her kids pet you or her grandchildren,we have a pitbull in the family.Mommy's nephew owns him
and he's very sweet.
Mika&Kai
[notify]
Bailee

Here\'s my Wubba- - now play with- me!!

Barked: Mon May 30, '11 10:08am PST 
Hi Keira, you can come to our house to play!! We have an AmStaff who lives with us and it seems like everyone is afraid of him at first, but really it's Bailee who will go charging at the neighbors barking her head off and Tension will run along behind her, then go up to the neighbor for some lovin' - Bailee will stay 10 feet away barking or whining! My mom was afraid of Tension at first just because of his breed but she's gotten a lot better, even though she's not really a dog person at all.

I think it's funny yet sad that a bandana can make all the difference in how a dog is perceived - obviously the person's fears are deep-seated!
[notify]
Lacie

Play...lets go!

Barked: Mon May 30, '11 11:13am PST 
When people react to us in a negative way it hurts our feelings. Sadly people need to work on their manners. You are beautiful and focus on the good people and try to remember it's their problem (rude and unkind) not yours. I learned this from my mom because people treated her this way too.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 9: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9