GO!

Anyone have a Toller?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 7 of 7: Viewing entries 61 to 68)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  
Gunther

Giant Shih Tzu

Barked: Thu May 26, '11 7:15pm PST 
I still think a Toller is a good choice. Breeders know their pups, and I think it might be smart to choose the most laid back pup in the litter. big grin

Sometimes when we have interests, we tend to think that it's the only way to live, the only way to raise a child, the only way to train a dog, etc. - but it isn't reality. Just because a lab isn't given the opportunity to retrieve a bird, it in no way means the dog will end up a "basket case disaster". As was already said, the last thing an SAR Lab is a basket case disaster...

I guess I should be thankful, Gunth gets to do everything he was bred for. laugh out loud Be held, look pretty, and sound a cute little "roof!" as an alarm when he hears noises. That's pretty much it for a Shih Tzu. He still loves agility and lure coursing though. puppy Go figure.
[notify]
Lilith

Barked: Fri May 27, '11 11:41am PST 
--American Eskimo (wish they were less shy & less vocal)

Just thought I'd mention this....have you ever heard a Toller scream? Its like nothing you've ever heard before lol. Not all Tollers scream, but Lilith does and does it with such enthusiasm you'd think she was dying lol. It will vary greatly among Tollers, but mine is most definitely vocal, she just can't get enough of her own voice lol.
Also Tollers are supposed to be reserved, not shy, but definitely not like a golden or lab in that sense. Mine however is the exception, shes an outgoing social butterfly. Anywho just a few more things for you to think about smile
[notify]
Hobbes

More flyball!

Barked: Fri May 27, '11 6:06pm PST 
Oh man, the toller scream. They sound like they are being tortured. Hobbes only does it on the way to the dog park and occasionally at flyball. Also, Hobbes just figured out how to roll down the window in our car. Yesterday he rolled down the window and had his head sticking out screaming so loudly that people on the sidewalk were staring as we drove past. I am so glad he never screams at home. He does whine sometimes if he wants something (like to go outside to play with the neighbor's golden whom he idolizes), but in my opinion it's nicer than barking.

Also, I second the opinion that a good breeder will help you find a "calm" toller based on the parents and the personality of the pup.
[notify]

Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Fri May 27, '11 11:10pm PST 
Oh goodness gracious! I had never heard of a toller scream before. Checked it out on youtube and it sounds like a cross between a squeaky door and a elk. laugh out loud
[notify]
Torie

If you can roll- in the dirt, do- it!

Barked: Fri May 27, '11 11:57pm PST 
Oh my, Torie was *very* impressed!!!

--des
[notify]

Barked: Sat May 28, '11 12:03am PST 
Yep, I've heard several recordings of a Toller's scream. Doesn't bother me! smile And I MUCH prefer it to constant barking.

I meant "vocal" in terms of "yappy". Dogs that bark if they hear a squirrel in a tree thirty feet away outside, that sort of thing. I've heard American Eskimos can tend to be barkers, especially if bored.

-D
[notify]
Maya-Living- in the UK

Pet me please?

Barked: Mon May 30, '11 9:46am PST 
Tollers are wonderful dogs, I can't wait till the day I can own one. don't like anyone put you off just because you can't do what teh dog was bred to do, i'd like to know how many pitbull owners on here fight their dogs or go bull baiting with them wink

I have a malamute that point blank REFUSES to do anything in anyway considered work, running is enough hassle for her let alone pulling big laugh

There are other substitutes, i'm sure in an ideal world every dog would do the job they were bred to do but it's not a perfect world and I for one am against hunting but I've grown up around springers, cockers, labs etc and springers are one of my absolute favourite dogs, I was lucky to have 4 years with a very wonderful lad, I never went hunting with him instead we done agility, long walks, dock diving etc and he loved his life happily.

Good luck on your choice and look forward to seeing you hear in the future smile
[notify]

Barked: Mon May 6, '13 5:47pm PST 
We have a rescue toller she is about 4. Meets all breed specs. She ran away in Alabama and a Florida retriever rescue brought her here.apparently some retriever rescues have sent descriptions of them to shelters with info to call if one comes in. Ours was quote ill, heart worms etc. she is a wonderful dog. She is,not high strung but is very smart and curious. Wants to know what you bring home in a bag, socialize with company and goes room to room making sure everyone is in their place. She can open french doors, minds well and if you mention the housekeepers name she runs to the door barks and jumps in the air. Not a destructive dog. Smarter than our beloved golden. They do have the retriever skin allergies and seasonal shedding. We think she's wonderful.
[notify]
  (Page 7 of 7: Viewing entries 61 to 68)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7