GO!

Anyone have a Toller?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 7: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  

Barked: Wed May 11, '11 12:55pm PST 
I am very interested in the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever.

Any owners out there?

Any breeder OR rescue recommendations for the Minneapolis, MN area? I'm having a very hard time finding any rescues.

-D
[notify]
Torie

If you can roll- in the dirt, do- it!

Barked: Wed May 11, '11 9:16pm PST 
I've seen one or two on dogster. You could search for them in dogster and ask to be pup pals. Tiller probably knows about them if she is reading this. You could go thru the archive as I think I saw something maybe 10 pages ago.

This is a VERY high energy high drive dog. Think Border Collie in a sporting dog suit. You should definitely not get one if you aren't intending on doing hunting or something equally strenuous.

This is a rare breed in the US. There may be 3-4 at any time. Right now there are 3 nationally one is DA and one with special needs. Very occasionally one might show up in a shelter but odds are against it. (I'd seriously wonder if they were Brittany mixes. There's a coloration similarity.)

--des
[notify]
Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Wed May 11, '11 9:18pm PST 
One of the active dogsters with one is named Lilith. you can put that in with the search info.
[notify]

Shayne CGC,- RL2

Shayne- Disc Doggin in- the 'Burgh!

Barked: Wed May 11, '11 9:36pm PST 
I've had the pleasure of knowing a few Tollers... it's a breed that i'd absolutely consider for myself.

That being said, they are not for everyone. If you couldn't imagine owning a border collie.. you probably wouldn't be happy with a Toller. They are high energy, high drive dogs that require a lot of exercise and mental work.

They are pretty rare though i feel they are becoming more popular within the performance community...
[notify]
Nicky

bitches love- pantaloons

Barked: Thu May 12, '11 11:29am PST 
One of my friends has a Toller. She does everything with that dog. Hiking and jogging is her main form of exercise and the dog is still bursting with energy when they get home. If you have a very active lifestyle then they may be right for you. She's in IN and knows someone via college who shows them so she got hers through him.
[notify]
Cohen CD RE- ADC SGDC- FDCh CGN

The Monster

Barked: Thu May 12, '11 11:29am PST 
There are loads of Tollers where I live. I was surprised when I found out they're rare elsewhere.

Tollers are fantastic dogs. I absolutely adore them. There's one from sporting lines with whom I do agility, and I want this dog as my own. I've always thought of Tollers as herding dogs in a retriever-suit.

With that said, you absolutely have to be ready for a high drive bundle of energy. Some get more mellow as they age, but some stay at BC-levels of drive their whole lives. They're not for everyone. If you decide one is for you definitely have a plan (heck, have several) for how you're going to exercise it, fulfill its drives and put it to work.

Edited by author Thu May 12, '11 11:29am PST

[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Thu May 12, '11 11:47am PST 
My current foster dog is believed to possibly be a Toller/Aussie mix. He's NUTS!! smile SO MUCH ENERGY! I dog park him for 2 hours a day and he's still ready to go. He came to me with ZERO training, but is learning quickly. Would learn more if I had more time to work with just him. It took him a while to learn to sit, but it was like he just didn't get the reward thing- you know that "I do something you want, I get a cookie" principal. Once he figured it out- it's magical! He carried over into highly distracting environments immediately. Here's his profile:
http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/19147993
[notify]

Barked: Fri May 13, '11 9:48pm PST 
Thanks, everyone!

I can't contact Dogster members through pawmail since I don't have a photo or username.

I've found a breeder right near me, and tomorrow I'm going over to just see her (adult) dogs. Since I've never seen Tollers in person, that will give me a decent idea of what they're like, at least.

Yes, I know they are high energy. I wanted a Border Collie or Aussie originally. But Border Collies aren't as velcro, and most Aussies don't have a tail. The Toller is the right size, and seems perfect in every way. And yes, I want a very high-energy dog!

-D
[notify]
Ellie

Did I hear- WALK?!?!

Barked: Sun May 15, '11 7:15am PST 
How'd your visit go?
[notify]

Barked: Sun May 15, '11 1:43pm PST 
Wonderfully! I've fallen in love with this breed. Will be saving up and getting one as soon as it's feasible for me.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 7: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7