GO!

Dogs That Rarely Bark?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  
Zack

formerly The- Very Hungry- Puppy-pillar

Barked: Mon Mar 7, '11 10:57am PST 
Zack rarely barks. He often resorts to quieter alternatives (snorts, low growls) rather than barking. When he does bark, it's not particularly loud, and he usually only barks once or twice before stopping. The only time he really barks loudly is when Bianca and Cody start barking at something, and he joins in with them. He does whine a lot.

Are there breeds or types of dogs that are usually like this? Or is this a behavior/training thing?

Zack was at least five years old when I got him, and he was a stray (adult) the Humane Society found. I have no idea what breeds might be in his background or what previous training he may have had.

I just wondered if this was typical of any particular breeds or types of dogs, because a lot of people ask for suggestions of dogs that are relatively quiet.
[notify]
Lexi Hope

Mamma\'s little- attitude girl

Barked: Mon Mar 7, '11 11:06am PST 
When we were looking for breeds that we wanted, we didn't want one big on barking for several reasons. I read on some sites , wish I could remember which ones now that Maltese and...to my surprise...Yorkies are supposed to not be big barkers and easy to travel with. I have 2 Malts and a Morkie and none of them are real big on the barking thing, they are pretty quiet but my dau. has 3 Yorkies and they yap at anything they see constantly so ?????...from being around my other daus dogs I don't think the Shih-Tzu's do alot of barking either. I'm sure there are other breeds I am not familiar with but I would definately say the Maltese are quiet. My one though does "talk to me" through her growls.
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Mon Mar 7, '11 11:37am PST 
Huskies typically do not bark, nor do Malamutes, Basenjis, and a few others. Their vocal cords aren't set up to do so. However, they do talk and yodel, and give dissertations on why they should not have to get off the couch, often with great frequency. So "barkless" and "silent" are two totally different things, as many irreputable breeders fail to recognize!

I have also never heard a hound bark, however they do bay. It sounds more bark-like, but really, when you live with them, it's totally different. I've seen other dogs flinch and cower the first time they hear a hound bay, because they just don't know what's going on.

In terms of traditional barking, it's a mix of genes, personality, and training. Many Terriers, for example, were bred to work underground in narrow rodent burrows. After they had cornered and dispatched their quarry, the humans would have to dig to retrieve them. A silent dog would be lost pretty quickly, and so many Terriers tend to bark. Dogs bred to be watch dogs tend to bark a lot. How else would they let you know there is an intruder?

Training wise, if your dog runs up to you, drops a ball, barks excitedly and you stop what you're doing to throw the ball for him, within a few repetitions you will have created a dog who barks to demand balls be thrown. That quickly transfers to barking to demand all play, to barking to demand dinner, potty breaks, walks, attention, etc. On the flip side, if you wait out demand barking and train alternate behaviors, even a breed prone to barking will not go so over the top with the behavior.
[notify]

Ghost

Now starts the- fun part!

Barked: Mon Mar 7, '11 11:59am PST 
As a breed CsVs rarely bark naturally unless taught to them by other house-dogs. And even then they may never bark... here's one of Ghost's sire's breeder's dog trained to 'bark'... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wnh6_OTI42E...laugh out loudlaugh out loud
[notify]
Boomer - In Heaven- 11-15-07

Where ever you- go I go ;}

Barked: Mon Mar 7, '11 2:52pm PST 
Boomer was a boxer/mastiff. Mastiffs are known to not bark. They will creep up on whatever and then growl - barking is a last resort. She was real good at this....
[notify]
holly

THROW THAT- BALL!!!!

Barked: Mon Mar 7, '11 3:55pm PST 
Holly is ACD/Aussie, she very seldomly barks, unless she feels she has to referee a dog park dispute, but other than that she is not a barker, she thinks one or 2 good ones at home is enough to alert us to something amiss, and that happens about once every 2 weeks or so.
Kai is ACD/BC she was prone to barking when she was tiny but we never rewarded it but did reward her 'inside voice' (a low gruff growly bark) so now if she feels the need to alert us we aknowledge the bark then say 'ok, inside voice' and she continues in a much more acceptable volume.
Paislee the ACD/Houla/Aussie is learning stillconfused
[notify]
Haunter

Ch. BIS- Wandering Spirit- Vom Wildweg CGC

Barked: Mon Mar 7, '11 5:42pm PST 
I am shocked at the above poochie, she is a rare gem indeed. Herders are known for their barking...

Most sighthounds are not barky.
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Mon Mar 7, '11 5:46pm PST 
Ghost - sounds like he's sneezing!!

We've never been able to teach Tanuk to bark either, because he only barks at minorities standing at bus stops far away. thinking

He will woo on occasion, and talk back of course, but otherwise Tanuk is pretty much mute. He even disapproves when other dogs bark and will try to get them to stop.
[notify]
Cricket

Wanna race?

Barked: Mon Mar 7, '11 7:03pm PST 
Sighthounds tend to be very quiet dogs. I have two longhaired whippets - Cricket rarely barks at all except for a few woofs when someone is walking up the driveway. Journey on the other hand will bark whenever she's excited or frustrated, though she's still probably quieter than your average dog.
[notify]
Aspen, CGC

Little Miss- Popular

Barked: Mon Mar 7, '11 9:00pm PST 
I must have the world's only barking Husky! big laugh

Although I have to say, Aspen only barks as an invitation to play (and gets ignored when she does so), and it only lasts a minute -- maybe two before she gives up. The other 99% of her vocalizations are woos like Tanuk, howls, yowls, whines and the occasional scream. She does talk back & has lately started to grumble and mumble, especially when she feels I'm not dishing the food out fast enough and she's stuck in a sit-stay or down-stay waiting! I swear she meows too! shrug
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6