GO!

mini goldendoodle

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2  
Cohen CD RE- ADC SGDC- FDCh CGN

The Monster

Barked: Tue Jun 4, '13 12:28pm PST 
I don't mean to offend anyone I just deal with a ridiculous amount of breed snobbery where I live and it irritates me to no end. My dogs might be"mutts" or "mongrels" but they are good dogs.

No one does (or should) look down on you for having non-purebred dogs. The issue comes with the people purposefully breeding these dogs. 98% of the time it's done without health testing, without being conscientious of the lines from which each dog comes and without much reason other than to make a quick buck or two to cash in on a fad.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Tue Jun 4, '13 12:30pm PST 
Penny... no one is bashing true mutts and shelter mixes... we are just totally against breeding "designer" breeds, mixed breeds that have a cutsey name, and marketing them as NEW breeds for ridiculous prices. The point is, these dogs that people are spending thousands on are no different than the mixed breeds in the local shelters which can be had for the cost of neutering, and you will be saving a life, not contributing to some BYB's profits at the expense of the poor dogs!
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Tue Jun 4, '13 12:41pm PST 
Agree. I have no issue with mutts, just with people who breed and market them for huge money with lies and empty promises. If you want a dog and aren't picky about breed, go get a shelter dog and save a life.
[notify]

Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Thu Jun 6, '13 9:05am PST 
I call my mutts mongrels, heinz 57's, mystery mutts, and all sorts of "derogatory" names. I rather like the terms.smile
[notify]
Nicky

bitches love- pantaloons

Barked: Thu Jun 6, '13 9:49am PST 
Penny, the point Cobain was making was that these are not special breeds. These are mixed breeds/mutts/mongerels/heinz 57's/insert your preferred term here that are bred with no purpose in mind other than to make money off of. Their genetics, health and temperament are not predictable and they are not any different than dogs you can find at the shelter. In fact many of these dogs ARE ending up in the shelter most likely because they ended up not being what was expected. Calling them something other than what they are is just delusional.
[notify]
Cobain ADC,- SGDC, CGN

More Bored- Collies

Barked: Thu Jun 6, '13 4:56pm PST 
Hi Penny,
I am sorry that you took my post to be "snobbish"
If you'll notice, I too own a mongrel dog. She's a great little pup, and has blossomed beautifully from the shelter dog she was a year and a half ago. I wouldn't trade her for the world.

What I meant by "desirable" was that when people think of these Doodle dogs, they are looking for a standard. They want a non-shedding, friendly, calm-ish dog. When in reality, when you mix the 2 breeds that perfection people seek is often not the outcome.
Unfortunately, the vast majority, if not all, of these Doodle dogs that I have encountered not only have shed a ridiculous amount, but also had a near unmanageable coat. On top of it many of these breeders do not do health testing that a good breeder should, and thereby you end up with another unpredictable aspect.

I don't mean undesirable by being an unwanted, bad, or otherwise inferior dog. Just that the wanted traits are not always there.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2