GO!

Lab/Shepard Mix

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

Molly

Barked: Sat Dec 18, '10 10:51pm PST 
I am looking for any information people might have on Lab/ German Shepard mixes. The mix interests me but I want to know what people's experiences with the mix are (if any) or any information on health issues commonly found with them etc.

Thanks for the Help
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Sun Dec 19, '10 1:44am PST 
well... Bruno has been called a Lab/German Shepherd mix, but I don't think he actually has any of either breed in him... I think that is the case with many "Lab/Shepherd" mixes in shelters, it's just a rough guess.

I don't think you can make generalizations about this kind of mix- especially since they rarely are JUST lab and GSD- usually there are other breeds in there too.

The only thing that comes to mind is hip dysplasia, because it's so common across the board in large dogs, very common in Labs and GSDs. Also bloat, because they are both large, deep-chested breeds. But it's certainly not a guarantee!

Every dog should be evaluated on his or her own merit, not breed stereotypes anyway, ESPECIALLY shelter dogs who's true breeding is unknown.

If you're looking at adopting a Lab/Shepherd mix, I say go for it, if you're ready for a big dog and you feel you have a connection with the individual dog. Good luck!
[notify]
Omen

zombie killer

Barked: Sun Dec 19, '10 8:34am PST 
my neighbor has what the shelter called a yellow lab/gsd mix. He is only around 40 pounds though and has a small head so im not sure what else went wrong or is mixed with him.

He is very VERY hyper though at just over a year old. Much more hyper and play play play then my 6 month gsd pup. I dont know if its the lab part of what but he barks at everything, wants to charge everything, and seems much more difficult to manage lol I prefer my aloof cautious pup smile
[notify]

Wiley

Where's that- rabbit?

Barked: Sun Dec 19, '10 9:07am PST 
My last dog was lab gsd/lab mix. As others have said, there is no standard when it comes to mutts, but my personal experience I had one of the best dogs eversmile He was about 70 lbs, was more compact, like a lab, than long, like a shep. Loved to fetch & swim, beautiful temperament, & very smart. He would jump the fence & go play with the elementary school kids during the day, then hop back into the yard before we got home. We "busted" him once by coming home early & seeing him in the school yard. He saw the truck & bolted home, jumped the fence & was laying there when we drove up as if to say "been here the whole time!" (Of course we fixed it so he couldn't jump out again)
No major health issues beyond cebaceous cysts until he was 12. He lived to be almost 16. I would definitely adopt another.
[notify]
Pepper

Got food? I- can be bought ya- know....

Barked: Sun Dec 19, '10 2:05pm PST 
As with any dog, the health of the parents can be passed to the offspring. If both the GSD & Lab had hip displasia in the Gene pool, any puppy of theirs has a better than average odds of having it too.

Any pound puppy has an uncertain past, and future, unless a loving person takes them home....
applause
[notify]