GO!

Golden Irish?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

Desmond CGC

Poodle Swag

Barked: Sun Nov 21, '10 5:10pm PST 
I was wondering if you guys could tell me a little bit about this mix- the Golden Retriever with the Irish Setter. I hadn't heard of them until today (as referred to as a "Golden Irish" instead of just a rescue mix).

I met one at the dog park today, and he was something else. Beautiful, smart, friendly, and so playful! He was a very nice dog, and a handsome dog, as well. I have always preferred more field-type goldens, so I really liked him.
So, I went home and did a bit of reading, since I was curious. I couldn't find much- is this a popular mix? Is it just another designer dog, or does it actually serve a purpose for these two to be mixed? It seems they have been mixed for years and years as working dogs, and I always knew Setters played a part in the creation of the Golden way back when. I would think they would be excellent field dogs when crossed; do people still use them for that purpose?
However, I could also see people just breeding them since they are really pretty and lord knows Goldens are popular dogs.

Well, does anybody here know much about this mix? I'd love to hear it, really just to satisfy my curiosity. smile
[notify]
Desmond CGC

Poodle Swag

Barked: Mon Nov 22, '10 5:47am PST 
bump...
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Mon Nov 22, '10 6:43am PST 
*Yikes* Whatever reflection you read about them being mixed for years as field dogs is a bunch of hooha slick salesmanship. Crossing retrievers/setters certainly was done way back in the day (going back a century) and is oft assumed to be contributory to the deeper reds of the Golden. However, most historians credit the Gordon as the more likely setter "type," which has those deep mahogany markings and is more in keeping with Tweedmouth's program generally, as they as setters work closer to the handler than setter types to typically. The Irish is the converse.....the most free spirited of the setters with the least biddability. Bear in mind, too, that back then retrievers were in "development" whilst nowadays are very well seated, the perfection achieved distancing themselves from setters, who unlike retrievers are lesser biddable and handler-keyed.

The CONCERN with this cross is the differences in temperament/balances and, critically, the extremely disconcerting history of the Irish Setter when indiscriminately bred. There was a period in history when the Irish shot way up in popularity and, along with the Collie, it ranks as two of the most disastrous popularity surges in dogdom. Character on the dogs broke down terribly and the dogs were insufferable, and health concerns skyrocketed to where it was a huge struggle simply to salvage the breed.

Given that on top of this BYB Goldens in recent years have been showing more and more personality breakdown, this is one of the "shake a test tube and see what explodes" pieces of insanity.
[notify]

Desmond CGC

Poodle Swag

Barked: Mon Nov 22, '10 8:22am PST 
Ah Tiller, that's what I feared. frown
Such a shame what people will do to dogs, I was hoping maybe this mix wasn't just for fun. Thanks for the info though.
[notify]
Maggie

Wiggle-Butt

Barked: Mon Nov 22, '10 3:36pm PST 
On a related note, Tiller (if you're still around) what do you know about a Golden Ret./Cocker Spaniel mix? I saw a website (BYB! BYB! BYB!) selling these, claiming they would be happy, friendly, dogs who love to play fetch (like both parent breeds) and resemble a mini Golden. What do you think?
[notify]
Becky RNCL

My Hat is Two- Sharks

Barked: Mon Nov 22, '10 3:40pm PST 
@Maggie...they're called "Comfort Retrievers" I believe....silenced
[notify]
Sonny

the world's- first blond,- agility Beagle

Barked: Mon Nov 22, '10 4:23pm PST 
I thought they were called "mixed breeds" or "mutts"....

When asked I say Sonny is a Golden Retriever/Beagle....but I don't mean to say it was a deliberate mix or a designer name. He's a mutt, with obvious parentage.

As for the Golden Retrievers creation....
"Originating in the Scottish Highlands in the late 1800s, the Golden Retriever was developed by Lord Tweedmouth, by crossing the original yellow Flat-Coated Retriever, with the now extinct Tweed Water Spaniel. He later crossed in the bloodhound, Irish Setter, and more Tweed Water Spaniel. The dogs were called the Golden Flat-Coat and only later were they given the name Golden Retriever. The Golden Retriever is one of the most popular breeds known today, not only as family companions but for obedience competitions, hunting and tracking, as a bird dog on both land and in the water, narcotics detection, service dog for the disabled, a guide for the blind and as a therapy dog. The Golden Retriever was first recognized by the AKC in 1925. "
[notify]
Winnie Mae

Just let me jump- it!

Barked: Mon Nov 22, '10 5:19pm PST 
Sonny big laugh

Are you planning on rescuing? Because personally, I wouldn't buy a crossbred from a breeder, unless you really needed it for working purposes.
[notify]
Maggie

Wiggle-Butt

Barked: Mon Nov 22, '10 8:16pm PST 
Oh, no way would I buy a designer mutt! I just was curious if those breeds actually make a good mix, or a monster...
[notify]