GO!

why I love my presa canario- a supposed bully breed

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Zeus

Barked: Mon Sep 27, '10 2:51pm PST 
I have been rescuing presa canarios for about a year now and they are my favorite breed. I would not recommend a presa to a first time dog owner, but with an experienced, educated owner they make wonderful companions, just like most bully breeds. A friend once told me "once you own a bully, you won't want any other type of dog"... she was right!!!!
[notify]
Harper

THROW THE BALL- MOM!

Barked: Mon Sep 27, '10 3:47pm PST 
That's how I feel about cardigans, too!

I met a presa at a dog show and she was the coolest dog. Her owner had pembroke corgis, and she was actually submissive to Harper.

They are gorgeous dogs!
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Mon Sep 27, '10 3:53pm PST 
Presas are certainly cool dogs, but the point of "not a first-timer dog" reaaaaally needs to be driven home for this breed. They are extremely powerful, very protective, and often dog aggressive. The average Joe does NOT need to be owning this dog.

But for those that that can, my hats off to you! They are a marvelous breed.

Edited by author Mon Sep 27, '10 3:58pm PST

[notify]

Nicky

bitches love- pantaloons

Barked: Mon Sep 27, '10 8:22pm PST 
I adore Presas (and especially Cane Corsos too), but I'm not sure I will ever get to the point where I would feel capable of owning one. There's a few that live around my area, and the owners did a wonderful job with them. They're such great dogs.
[notify]
Marlo

I'm A Good Dog,- I Just Do Bad- Things

Barked: Mon Sep 27, '10 9:09pm PST 
I think they are gorgeous dogs too! But I don't think I'd classify them as a "bully breed"...as far as i know they are mastiff/molosser types with no bulldog heritage..but I could be wrong. Definitely at some point you will have someone calling your dog a pit bull though...that seems to be the catch all term for dogs with short hair and big heads shrug
[notify]
Bam-Bam, CGC

Lil' Rubble

Barked: Tue Sep 28, '10 6:18am PST 
I think they are gorgeous dogs, but unfortunately Presas get a bad rap in the Mastiff world because of the whole Tobin Jackson debacle...
But I'm always glad to hear about breed fanciers. Every breed needs people who love them and are working to rescue and preserve the breed!
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Tue Sep 28, '10 7:03am PST 
I'm confused by this thread title "a supposed bully breed". The term 'bully' doesn't refer to a dog's behavior, it refers to its breeding lines. Dog breeds that derive from bull dog breeds are referred to as 'bully' It's like a nickname and I'm addressing it here because the confusion leads some folks to believe that it's behavior related, and it gives certain breeds a bad rap. I haven't read that presas are descended from bull dogs, but mastiffs among other breeds and that means they're not a 'bully' breed.

Maybe someone who breeds presas can clarify what their lines are.

Glad you love your presa, though.
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Tue Sep 28, '10 7:17am PST 
Lucille, I think going along with what Bam-Bam said... which Presas have bulldog in their linage and which don't is all a matter of who's being scrupulous today.

A lot of "Presas" being sold back when the breed was first getting its foot in the door in this country, were nothing more than Bandogs, which most certainly DID have bully in them somewhere down the line.

So I guess it all depends on who you ask. The "true" Presa Canario, I believe, does not have a bully history.
[notify]
Bam-Bam, CGC

Lil' Rubble

Barked: Tue Sep 28, '10 7:46am PST 
pssst... Mulder, that was Marlo, not me smile
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Tue Sep 28, '10 7:50am PST 
Oh, no, I was talking about the Tobin Jackson thing. Wasn't he the man who started mixing bulldogs/pits in? I remembered his name from a few of the articles about that woman who was killed in CA.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3