GO!

Pros and Cons of having 2 dogs

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Monty

I'm not fat, I'm- fluffy!

Barked: Sun Sep 26, '10 8:27am PST 
I'm contemplating getting a second dog but am still unsure, especially in the aspects of how it will change our lives and the life of our existing dog. I've never had more than one dog at a time. Our boy is extremely social with other dogs and feel like he would benefit from a companion. He is a little fearful of people and crowds, but when there is another dog around he acts completely different. Very confident and even will let people pet him.

But at the same time I worry about what will be taken away from him. We take him almost everywhere we go, out to dinner, on vacation and I feel like places that accept one dog might not be so accommodating to two, so he may have to stay home more often. But I wonder if what he will gain from a companion out weigh what he will lose?

So I figure who better to ask this question to than those of you who had only 1 dog and then added a 2nd. What are the pros and cons?
[notify]
Radley

Im a lean, mean,- cuddling machine

Barked: Sun Sep 26, '10 9:43am PST 
I got Radley when he was 10 weeks old and kept him as a single dog until he was 7 months old and I saw Shiloh and knew I had to have her. Radley was spoiled rotten when he was little but he did great!! Now even though I have 5 dogs Shiloh and Radley are still BEST BUDDIES and they couldn't live without each other. I don't know what they are gonna do when one or the other passes away. I love having multiples!! I couldn't imagine only having one. But make sure you can afford 2 dogs and have the time for a puppy if you get one!! Good luck with your decision.big grin
[notify]
Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Hi I'm Turner- Wanna Smell My- Butt?

Barked: Sun Sep 26, '10 10:10am PST 
I've had Turner for 7 years. He's had dog sisters (who've since passed) and I fostered Darcy for 9 months when we lived in TX. We moved to PA and he was an only dog again. Not a bad thing - he, too, went everywhere and is a well traveled dog. I just flew Darcy through rescue to us in PA from TX. She was deemed unadoptable because of her fear of humans. Yet she is wonderful with Turner (a reactive dog) and other dogs in general. My husband and I work shift and we believe everyone should have a friend. We still take them everywhere with us, there is no reason to leave them behind because there are two of them! If anything we get 2x's the compliments. way to go
[notify]

Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Sun Sep 26, '10 11:01am PST 
For me the only con is the vet and food bills!
[notify]
Makaveli PSDIT

I Can Has Lovin'- Nao?

Barked: Sun Sep 26, '10 11:02am PST 
Up until last November, Casper was the only pup in our house. We had them meet a day before Mak was scheduled to come home, and on the day Mak arrived we let them meet outside in the front yard first. I think it really helped them hit it off. Casper has some reactivity issues, not with dogs per se but sometimes he doesn't welcome strange pups into the house, so the outside meeting was great for us.

I would say that having another pup in the house is beneficial to any pup, especially if you have a frightened pup. I can't speak for all, but Casper has REALLY come out of his shell, and runs around with the zoomies like he's a pup again cloud 9 I think Casper (and myself!) feels really safe with Mak around. It feels SO good to see my pup be happy. So that's one of the pros.

They also tire themselves out more, which means less walks (that's no excuse to not exercise your pups though) I just notice they burn off quite a bit of energy from all the running around all day.

More dogs= more kisses, so that's always good too, hehe. Then there's always puppy breath, and the tremendous amount of love you feel for that little fur ball. Watching them grow is so heart warming for me.

The cons...(IMO don't outweigh the pros but...)

You spend more money on food each month, more money on toys, vet visits, treats, etc. Training can also be expensive if you don't owner train. You also have to make SURE they both get proper exercise. I've found it harder to walk with two dogs, especially since Casper is reactive. For ME, it's easier to walk one dog, come back and take a break, and then walk the other pup for 45 mins, or however much they need.

But it's SO worth it, whenever you see a mini and a huge dog cuddled up together, UGH! the cuteness is overwhelming cloud 9 I'm sure your pup would love a play mate, you'll be surprised how fast they bond together. Besides the money factor, I don't see why it wouldn't be a good idea to add onto the pack. Mak has truly lit up my life, my whole family's! It was SO worth it, I'd give all the money in the world to do it over again smile The joy a pup brings is just unexplainable.
[notify]
X-press

Frisbee Hound

Barked: Sun Sep 26, '10 11:34am PST 
I think the pros outweigh the cons. I had Carmel for 2 years then adopted X-press from a rescue 5 months ago. They are best buddies and I find X-press takes care of most of the love that Carmel needs. Let me tell you that Carmel requires 7 by 24 hour petting. She loves to be touched non-stop. I thought about growing a third arm but X-press has taken care of the need. My dogs are with me 7/24.

It's increased my vet bills, food costs and since I'm a trainer no costs there. I taught Carmel to heel on the left and X-press on the right so I walk them at the same time no problems. They have such fun all day playing with each other, sharing toys, sharing food (yes they eat out of each other bowls together), and swimming in the lake as best friends. I feel so lucky but realize that not everyone's situation works out so well when bringing a second dog into the household. I wish you the best in deciding what works best for you and your family.
[notify]
Rowan

Rowan T.- Brittany

Barked: Sun Sep 26, '10 4:08pm PST 
I hope to never have only one dog again - Rowan and my roommate's cattle dog mix absolutely adore each other. They keep each other entertained and tired and they love being together. They also provide us humans constant entertainment laugh out loud Rowan is happier having a buddy than being an only dog. I assume it'd be different if the original dog wasn't as interested in others, but Rowan really thrives on having a playmate.

I can't really comment on cost, since Kaylee isn't mine and I only have to provide for Rowan.

Edited by author Sun Sep 26, '10 4:09pm PST

[notify]
Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Sun Sep 26, '10 5:59pm PST 
Pros: Bella was also super anxious and shy and she is better now that happy go lucky Daisy is around.

Twice the love to go around.

My dogs genuinely like each other. I think you need to be sure of the second dog you get. Not only that they fit in with you and your family/lifestyle, but that they fit in with dog #1.

Daisy has been teaching Bella how to play, which has been fun to watch happen.

Cons: Twice the dog I swear is triple the expense.

Twice the vomit and diarrhea (both my girls have been sick this weekend).

I don't generally mind walking both my girls because they are great LLWers most of the time. If they weren't, it'd be bad.

Making sure both dogs get enough attention, training, exercise can be tricky but for me its getting easier as time goes on.
[notify]
My Lucky8

big packs rule!

Barked: Sun Sep 26, '10 6:34pm PST 
We have 7 LOL. To me there really is no con's. They always have company always have someone to play with.I stay at home all day with them, so they are never alone. I walk all 7 train all 7 feel all 7 together..if 1 can't go then none go, unless its a long trip that it wouldn't be good for some.We are headed to KS in january for a doggy meet up and will leave Lilly and Gunner home because of the cold and their lack of undercoats. I couldn't see having it any other way LOL!
[notify]
Lily and- Moira

Happy Birthday- to us!!!!

Barked: Sun Sep 26, '10 9:04pm PST 
Lily and Moira love each other. Pros: I think they need another heartbeat in the house and I can't be home all the time. An instant playmate, etc. Cons: Medical, yes - can't say food. Moira doesn't eat much. Walking isn't as relaxing with two, but it's doable. Lily doesn't get to go with me as often, but I don't think she'd trade sitting in the car in a grocery store parking lot for Moira.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2