GO!

Turkman Alabai Dogs

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Dahlia

Gone, But Not- Forgotten.

Barked: Sat Aug 7, '10 9:30am PST 
I was up in Grass Valley yesterday and saw a poster advertising Turkman Alabai dogs for sale @ $1500. They stated this breed was UKC certified. Anyone know about these dogs?
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Sat Aug 7, '10 9:43am PST 
I'd neer heard of them, but found this site.

alabai dog

hope the link works. OK link says page not found so here is the url
www.moloss.com/brd/sx/s001/impfacts.html

Edited by author Sat Aug 7, '10 9:46am PST

[notify]
Chicago

I am a friend to- all

Barked: Sat Aug 7, '10 9:45am PST 
I googled them "Turkmen Alabai dogs" All the websites on the first page looked exactly alike....

http://www.alabaiusa.com/turkmen_alabai_history.htm

I don't know what to think, at first glance they seem to be glorifying it's fighting history, and they have the sound of a dog growling, so I stopped reading. confused

This website is better:

http://alabay.com/?page_id=25

They were originally bred to guard livestock from wolves & bears, but appears they are being used in dogfights quite often - very sad!

edited to add: http://alabay.com/?page_id=356 That puppy is sooo cute!!big grin

Edited by author Sat Aug 7, '10 9:52am PST

[notify]

Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Sat Aug 7, '10 9:57am PST 
Lets try again.
alabai breeder

again with the page not found thing.
www.alabaiusa.com

Edited by author Sat Aug 7, '10 10:03am PST

[notify]
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Sat Aug 7, '10 10:31am PST 
Alabai are the precursor to the Ovcharkas, but a separate breed. Central Asian Shepherds/Ovcharkas are UKC recognied, but Alabai are not.

Still, depending on where you saw this ad, it worries me that they're selling these types of dogs advertised on a poster that way. Ovcharkas and their ilk aren't for casual handlers or even experienced handlers with no actual guardian work to provide to the dog. CAS got a whole lot of bad press a while back based on a Nat Geo 'profiling' and they really don't need any more of it.

Edited by author Sat Aug 7, '10 10:33am PST

[notify]
Dahlia

Barked: Sat Aug 7, '10 10:45am PST 
Thanks, guys. Lilith, I was not thrilled with their advertising method either. I wish I had taken the poster down so I could read their website. I saw that they are not UKC certified on the web, and thought it interesting that they claimed it as such.

They did have the disclaimer that these dogs are not for everyone and need firm training. I hope the Alabai is not going to be the next BYB fad!
[notify]
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Sat Aug 7, '10 10:53am PST 
I'm with you, Dahlia. 'Firm handling and training' is the very least you should be concerned with in an livestock guardian like the Alabais though... you can 'firmly handle and train' a Malinois and make it suitable for city living with the correct outlets, but I don't know if this is possible with one of these..

Unfortunately, there is a small market advertising these to the 'hard core' stupid crowd in it for the image. /sigh/
[notify]
Ginger- M.I.A.

my first and- finest

Barked: Mon Aug 9, '10 11:36am PST 
Sq'my... I went to that website, and my gosh it is awful. I HATE HATE HATE websites that have pop-up sound or music that you can't easily turn off. Its one of the rudest things you can do to site visitors, in my opinion...

And why the heck do they crop the dog's ears like that?!! Its not attractive at all, and I can't see that it has any function either. Plus the website is full of rambling nonsense about the history of the breed.
[notify]
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Mon Aug 9, '10 12:05pm PST 
Ginger - as I understand it, the CAO and Turkmans, as well as most of the historic LSGs of that region have very short ear crops to prevent frostbite. These dogs do primarily live outdoors and spend their lives with herds on the steppes, so in this instance I could see why they would crop their ears like that.

Though I don't understand why you'd have to when you live in, say, California.
[notify]
Dahlia

Barked: Mon Aug 9, '10 2:38pm PST 
I found what appears to be a russian site on them, and it put more emphasis on the fighting. GAK! Cropping ears for frostbite protection-an interesting concept.......
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2