GO!

The Miniature Schnauzer: An In-Depth Consideration

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

Topic closed to new posts.
(Page 3 of 5: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  5  
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Mon Apr 2, '12 12:51pm PST 
It didn't magically appear in the breed, it is an outcross gene. One which unfortunately has made a mess of coat. Tiller those Havenstad salt and peppers are to die for.

I do love well bred minis but it's hard to find them with the proper temperament and coat anymore, color not even being an issue. I hate seeing the crosses...

Just as a side note that merle breeder also breeds 'toy's and Schnoodles... seriously not good.

And apparently has merle poodles to boot. Ugg.
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Mon Apr 2, '12 5:57pm PST 
Ooh. Merle shnauzers? Scary!

I think the skansen whites look lovely. I would definitely consider one of these if I wanted one in that colour (and lived in the states!)

I met two salt and peppers in the park once and to my admittedly non-expert eye they looked great, however, they were very vocal when they saw my dog,.rushed up and barked their little heads off. The german couple who owned them said it was just a shnauzer thing but they were carrying on a bit. I wasn't in a position to agree or not! But heck, they looked lovely. Groomed to the nines and with that fab silvery coat.

I definitely see the appeal and wish you good luck in finding the perfect one, OP!
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Wed Apr 4, '12 2:05pm PST 
My, my, my, we have certainly had a bunch of resurrected threads lately. Now, MERLE schnauzers??? Frankly, I have never seen one with the correct head and coat...wonder if Guest would share a photo or at the very least, a pedigree????
[notify]

Barked: Mon Mar 25, '13 2:51pm PST 
If anyone is still interested, I have two AKC certified that are clearly dominantly schnauzer we have full report of all breeding done since the inclusion of the color. They are both very healthy and have no blindness or ear problems. They both are very smart and mild tempered. They are great dogs and are very attractive. They have the stance and hair of a schnauzer and the amazing merle color. I get way more compliments on them then regular minis walking around. And there is a lot in SF, CA. And technically speaking then all minis are mutts either way because the standard is the only true schnauzer. The standards were bred with different types of small dogs to get the smaller size. Most Pure Breeds are still technically mutts.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Mon Mar 25, '13 3:28pm PST 
First of all, AKC doesn't "certify" dogs, they just register them, and it is pretty gosh darn easy to falsify registrations...
I will say the same to you as I did the other "merle" breeder... show us some photos AND a pedigree and some DNA testing.
[notify]
Sumo

Lady's Man

Barked: Mon Mar 25, '13 3:44pm PST 
Breeding issues aside, My experience with Mini Schnauzers is they love to listen to their own voice....a very vocal breed! Probably more so than any other breed I've been around...and that includes Shelties...and they are also a very vocal breed.

For your consideration. wink
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Mon Mar 25, '13 4:17pm PST 
That's just pure horse hockey. There is no "AKC certified" with a simple pedigree, and NO inclusion of merle. Minis are not mutts, or if they are then Standards are mutts equally. There is no breed of dog that God zapped a lightning bolt down from the sky to create....all breeds STARTED as a mix of things. And then bred true and was standardized. You certainly aren't going to recreate a Mini by outcrossing. Mini blood is German blood, and back in the day when the Mini was being created, there was plenty of culling as they moved towards one desired result, which is the Miniature Schnauzer of today.

And if you bred a GOOD Miniature Schnauzer, you wouldn't be outcrossing for the sake of color. That's surface, and a correct Miniature Schnauzer temperament is sterling. If you didn't like Minis, then you should have found another breed of dog.
[notify]
Foxxy

Pocket Wolf

Barked: Mon Mar 25, '13 4:20pm PST 
OMG minis. I grew up with minis. My mom grew up with them. I have chihuahuas right now and I am in love with them, but I learned about dogs from Miniature schnauzers.

grooming: every day or every other day. In the winter there will be snowballs, and in the summer, there will be burrs foxtails, and tics that like to hide in the fringe. there will be mats. The beard needs to be washed regularly to remove bacteria.

Unless you are going to show the dog, just clipper it. The cut style is similar to a cocker spaniel, but you shave the ears down too. Mom used to tell us, draw a straight line all the way around the dog at elbow level and shave everything above that line until you come to the cheekbones. There is some debate on whether or not to shave the top of the muzzle. It depends on how the dog's hair grows up there. Our first S&P Kenzo neveer had the top of her muzzle shaved and it laid flat but Razmataz had short hair up there that made him look goofy so we shave the top of his nose to retain the serious expression.

they are an oily breed. They do get sebaceous cysts that need expressed when they appear. It's kind of nasty. Make sure to clean crustys from the eyes too. pluck the fur from between the toes and in the ears and keep the nails trimmed.

I guess I don't mind cropping ears and tails of the schnauzer. The button ear look is cute, but both the bitches we've had had natural ears and they like to flap them around until they get crusty sores on the ends of their ears. You have to be more dilligent about fuzz removal with natural ears. I've never seen a schnauzer with a natural tail. I've seen plenty with badly docked tails though.

Noise level: If a schnauzer cannot bark, they will explode. That's just the way it is. They are conversational dogs. They will try to converse with everything. be sure to socialize it to other animals. They can be very prey driven, and they can be intolerant of other dogs unless socialized early. They are breedist. They prefer the company of their own breed.

They get gruff and serious as they age. Somewhere around age 8 they get notoriously routine oriented, and are very stubborn when it comes to changes in that routine. They tend to bond with 1 or 2 family members, and the rest of the family are nobly tolerated. They are a velcro dog to their chosen humans and generally friendly but stubborn to everyone else.

generally expect 12-16 years with the dog, but towards the end times get rough. Type 2 diabetes, cataracts, bladder stones, and cushings disease are all well documented in the breed. 2 out of the 3 schnauzers I grew up with got cushings. One died from complications to cushings, liver failure and stroke at age 16. One got bladder stones so big that it filled up the whole bladder.

Watch the teeth. Bad breeding often leads to bad teeth. One of the dogs my dad has now is a badly bred parti color (black with white splashes) and her teeth started simply rotting at about age 6. This whole breed is suffering from bad breeding which is a shame because it's a really good dog to start with. They're good at everything. They're even pretty good gun dogs. Not good retrievers, but flushers and coursers. They're very good at upland hunting and rabbit and small game hunting. They also tend to hate water. They're pretty good with cattle too, but the bigger schnauzers do better. Minis are everything that's awesome about a farm dog in a compact package. Smart, reasoning, anticipation, watchfulness, drive. They have all that and a face full of hair.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Mar 26, '13 3:46pm PST 
Just letting you all know that it is not a big deal. All dogs are technically mutts. OH WOW, certified/registered who cares. Just think it's funny that you really care. "Pure Breed" is just a label and status thing in the dog world. My dogs rock certified or registered aside. My female is very quiet and the male is getting very good at controlling his talkative personality. Everyone can tell they are schnauzer by their stance. Their colors are way nicer then any standard breed I have seen. They turn heads at the beach all the time. Most important they are happy and very healthy. I did not buy them for the papers I bought them because they are beautiful and different. I have not seen any others around yet. So they have some aussie. I have only ever had mutts as a child and they had always been great dogs. So if mine are considered mutts, then so be it. Explain to me a what "GOOD" breeder is? People mix breeds all the time...Are schnauzers too "good" for that? Jeez.

And yes they are very high maintenance but worth it. I have met many minis and love them too. I love all animals and thought I should stand up for the mix. They are great and I would recommend my breed to anyone. A rescue is our next dog, hopefully a "real" mini. Haha. laugh out loud

Edited by author Tue Mar 26, '13 4:01pm PST

[notify]

Barked: Tue Mar 26, '13 4:05pm PST 
Oh and to Tiller, a GOOD breeder would never chop a dog's ears off. You obviously feel that's OK considering your pic. My breeder would never do that. Both of my dogs ears are in tact, and my vet says that it is extremely painful for them even when they are young.They look cuter with them. So ya "good" breeding is all on opinion.
[notify]
(Page 3 of 5: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  5