GO!

The Miniature Schnauzer: An In-Depth Consideration

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

Topic closed to new posts.
(Page 2 of 5: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5  
Max (aka- Sebastian)

Lovin Life

Barked: Wed Jun 23, '10 7:22am PST 
Well, if you plan on showing or competing then you'll need to stick with the standard colors. But if you do change your mind and decide a companion dog is good enough (however you can now compete with mixes so a rescued dog without papers can now be registard to compete with the AKC) I would have to suggest you adopting a mini.
Both the minis I have had we adopted, Tweeker our first one, I adopted from shelter that picked him up as a stray, at that time he was between 5-7 yrs, intact and bad teeth ( he also didn't know how to play) so my theory on him is that he was a breeder that couldn't produce anymore, or the byb went out of buisness or he was lucky enough to escape.
Max was picked up as a stray as well, and the rescue I got him from pulled him from a kill shelter. He was about 10 mths old when we adopted him. Both have been great dogs, and I think pp has already hit on how great minis are so I won't go there.
There are tons in shelters and rescues who would make great pets, all ages, all colors.
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Wed Jun 23, '10 8:17am PST 
!!!!!

A merle Mini is an outcross. The Miniature Schnauzer does not carry the merle gene. The teacup merles cropping up on the internet likely have Poms in their lineage, others use Aussies. The coats on the merles in the pics is decidedly un-Schnauzerly wink, the type is awful. The chocolate is likely a mix also....his coat is not correct. Minis have the softer fuller coat, Standards have the textured, thinner coat. Giants can be either or in between.

It is very important to understand the Mini fairs notoriously poorly with indiscriminate breeding. A lot of people have never met a proper Mini, who would be on any all-breed person's list of one of the top ten of all dogs....very bright, adaptable, sociable, trainable, playful, stable. While there are some non-traditional colors that can occur in the breed, they occur seldomly....thereby anyone trying to intentionally breed these colors is on a limited gene pool and will be incapable of producing the Mini's beautiful character, let alone all the health issues that come along with it. This, of course, does not apply to whites, who are well sponsored in Europe.

For something unusual and striking, the black-and-silver can often grab the eye. They are seldom seen but very eye catching....my favorite color in the breed by far.
[notify]
Shane DEC- '08-JAN '12- RIP

In dreams I walk- with you..

Barked: Wed Jun 23, '10 2:09pm PST 
Don't know how common they are or if it's even acceptable, but I met a pale silver mini a couple days ago and I thought she was really attractive.
Duh! Just read the standards and if I'm reading it right she would be disqualified. frown Oh well, still pretty

Edited by author Wed Jun 23, '10 2:16pm PST

[notify]

Gir

All that lives- is holy.

Barked: Wed Jun 23, '10 4:18pm PST 
O/T question, but WTH did merle in Poms come from?

I do agree with Tiller on how scarce the quality minis are. I plan on getting mine from a show breeder- possibly the breeder that bred the Standard I wanted- and I do want to compete.

And Tiller actually also pegged my favorite color. big grin
[notify]
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Wed Jun 23, '10 4:38pm PST 
Are we sure this is merle? Cause it looks like it can just be a splash coat too..
[notify]

Barked: Wed Jun 23, '10 5:35pm PST 
There is a lot of hooey going on with Minis right now. Lots of concealed outcrossing with purebred claims. If you know Schnauzers, the head very often is a dead give away. There is a bit of skull length, which is not easy to get, with a slight taper, and then the muzzle is longer still. Outcrossed Minis very often have the shorter and more rounded skull typical of a normal doggie dog.

To know a well bred Mini is really a joy....they are marvelous dogs who can do anything and are mega adaptable. It's a breed who can please a working enthusiast, single urban warrior, or be a great dog with the kids in the suburbs. Whip smart, really willing, but still with terrier verve. I would estimate that better thanb 90% of dog people outside of the show world have ever met a well bred Mini, though.....they are heavily milled.

For show, this is a VERY tough breed ring. The estimate is that an amateur may spend $20,000 trying to finish a dog. It is one of the big show breeds, and the coat is more of a challenge to work with than a Standard's would be. If you are a sore loser, it is not the breed to show (great for OB, though....they love it), but they ARE a breed that naturally loves the game, so they will make it enjoyable, as long as you are up on the fact that the breed ring is exceptionally tough.

North Pine is breeder that does very well with Black-and-Silvers. Their male Stay is the sort of dog people have been wishing on.....awesome show dog and sire, and with that black contrast that really makes the color stand out way to go His presence will be felt for quite some time to come.
[notify]
Gir

All that lives- is holy.

Barked: Wed Jun 23, '10 6:22pm PST 
Wow, Tiller, I was actually looking at them!

What do you think of Skansen's minis?

I'm more about going to the shows and having fun than just winning, although I do want to win some, bol. I might show on the UKC circuit some, any thoughts on that? There's more UKC in my area according to other dog enthusiasts.

Lilith, I think it's merle. On the breeder's website, there's other merles that are much more clearly merles.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Jun 23, '10 9:00pm PST 
UKC is always easier wink AKC is more of a rush, though. And of course specialties are a marvelous way to be in tune with what's going on in a breed.

Sylvia has never been aggressive with her Minis because she is very ambitious, and no one is going to take over the world of the Miniature Schnauzer....it is way too competitive. But she has for a very long time bred a lovely, correct Mini you could have some fun with, and can certainly breed a finished champion. I think the greater richness in Skansen Minis is her affiliation with Cyriel de Meulenaer and his Havenstad Kennels. I am not sure anyone had quite the hand with Schnauzers that he did.....look at those dogs - they are jaw dropping. So that's a really precious line, and if the thought of breeding ever were in one's future vision, I'd think the Havenstad bloodline would be an amazing thing to have.
[notify]

Barked: Mon Apr 2, '12 10:06am PST 
I breed the Merle Schnauzers and adore each and everyone of them. They are very loving and sweet and I am not a backyard breeder people are only depriving themselves from a beautiful outgoing fun loving group of Schnauzers when they choose to turn up their noses to them.smile
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Mon Apr 2, '12 12:42pm PST 
Guest, do you mind enlightening us as to what sets you apart from the average backyard breeder? What kind of genetic health screenings do you utilize? In what venues do you show/work your dogs, and what titles do they have? Tell us about your pedigrees, I'm interested in hearing about How the Merle gene magically appeared in the mini gene pool smile
[notify]
(Page 2 of 5: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5