GO!

Tamaskan Dogs

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  
Caddy

Barked: Thu Jun 17, '10 7:30pm PST 
Anyone know anything about the breed?

I heard about this breed about a year ago, thought it would be nice to learn more. =]
[notify]
Gunner

All legs and no- tail

Barked: Thu Jun 17, '10 8:08pm PST 
Caddy, I know little of the breed, but they have been talked about some before. If you go to this thread you'll see some good discussion. It strays off the topic of Tasmaskans a bit, but is still very interesting.
[notify]
Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Fri Jun 18, '10 5:46am PST 
I hear from a couple places that they were "supposedly" developed for sledding, which I highly doubt. I think they were bred to specifically just to look like wolves. Not that I find anything wrong with that on principle, mind you - but when you are breeding for looks it makes it harder to breed for strong health as well.

There's a high rate of mon/cryptorchidism in them, which can result from an unnecessarily high degree of inbreeding. As someone in the other thread said, there's a lot of fighting amongst the breed clubs.

The only breeder's site in the US that I've found is a blatant puppy mill (which could be affecting the cryptorchid statistics). I haven't looked too awful hard for breeders, however.

Edited by author Fri Jun 18, '10 5:51am PST

[notify]

Caddy

Barked: Fri Jun 18, '10 7:10am PST 
I`ve met this beginning breeder.

http://www.sylvaen.com/

She has only produced one litter so far, and I`m pretty glad to see that she is doing responsible breeding. Meaning eye/hip/hearing ect testing.

She also talked about the that puppy mill breeder in the US. Horrible.
[notify]
Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Fri Jun 18, '10 7:51am PST 
Her site is VERY well done, I am quite impressed. And that she also points out Right Puppy Kennel (and another one) as places to avoid. Again, I'm impressed smile. Only thing I wish I could see would be the buyer's contract.
[notify]
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Fri Jun 18, '10 8:29am PST 
The Tamaskan as it is - an 'alternative' to an actual wolfdog is IMHO a lie..

Second linked site's logo "wolf dog without the wolf" isn't accurate nor correct- as it's pretty much been concluded that the UK Tamaskan - especially out of Blustag's kennel, one of the foundation kennels whose dogs Sylvaen uses - used CSVs pretty extensively in its foundation. These dogs are CSV x Sibe/Mal crosses.

There is definitely wolf content in these dogs. And to market them as not having any is dishonest.

ETA: spelling..

Edited by author Fri Jun 18, '10 8:43am PST

[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Fri Jun 18, '10 10:10am PST 
I've done some limited research on them, and from what I understand they're what I call a project dog. I also consider Tanuk a project dog, meaning they require a great deal of work and time over the long term. This is not a dog that requires minimal training, nor is it a dog that you can take to a few sets of training classes and then it's good to go for life. As with any breed that is purported to stick true to it's roots, there's going to be a whole lot of behavior (often undesirable) to deal with. I'm sure they can be rewarding to own to some, but as others mentioned it seems like a status symbol dog to me more than anything.
[notify]
Tika

Little Fox

Barked: Fri Jun 18, '10 6:10pm PST 
I think they're absolutely gorgeous, but some of the claims made about them seem to be a little too good to be true. As to whether or not they've got any wolf content, that's also up for debate. It's certainly a breed I'm keeping an eye on, though.
[notify]
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Fri Jun 18, '10 7:17pm PST 
"As to whether or not they've got any wolf content, that's also up for debate"..

Well, really, it's not.. even Blustag's breeder has admitted that there were foundation CSV males. That conclusively means that there is at least some wolf content. Just cause you mix a wolfdog to another husky, doesn't make it otherwise.
[notify]
Tundra

Barked: Tue Jun 22, '10 7:12pm PST 
As a Tamaskan owner in the USA there has been alot of debate about wolf content in the Tamaskan Dog breed. The Tamaskan Dog Register (TDR) makes the claim that wolves or wolf dogs were NOT used in the Breed, this also goes for the Chech Wolfdog. The Chech wolf dog is on fact a dog. Wolf has not been used in the Chech wolf dog for about 20 years: therefore, the CWD is considered a dog by USA standards.
There are a few groups of people that beg to differ with the TDR and make unfounded claims of wolf content. If you find these people making these claims of wolf content and do some background work on them, you will find that these people either were breeders and had a falling out with the Registry or that they were somehow involved with some of the breeders long ago and had personal falling out with them. What better way to have revenge on someone that to try and make bogus claims aginst them in attempts to hurt their project. The Tamaskan Dog Registry and the National Tamaskan Club of America are good places to gain knowledge and information on this truly wonderful and intelligent breed.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5