GO!

Differences between Toy, Miniature, Standard Poodles?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 29)  
1  2  3  

Barked: Wed Apr 7, '10 10:09pm PST 
It does, thanks! For "destruction", I was thinking in the sense of tearing up furniture, ripping the moldings off the doors, chewing up things other than their toys, that kind of thing. Figuring out how to get a toy out of the trash can I wouldn't consider destructive really, in fact I'd just be impressed! That's amazing how your standard managed that.

If a standard has exercise needs comparable to a Lab then that's probably not going to be a good match for me; I'm more the "longish leisurely walk" and some play in the yard sort, which I know is not going to be enough for most (if not all) sporting breeds. Would something like that be enough exercise for a Miniature Poodle, do you think?
[notify]

Barked: Fri Jun 22, '12 11:15am PST 
Hello - I came to this web site by google search because I'm seriously looking to buy either a miniature or standard poodle. I need honest answers. This is a VERY important decision for me. Yet, contrary to the site's warning, all I read here is bickering. I suggest, please, that you take it to another chat room somewhere else.

I am looking for real answers to which type I should buy. Please help me with the truth.

I had a toy poodle as a young girl and she was wonderful - terrific temperament, didn't bark much, and loved all of us. They have a bad reputation for nothing!

What is the truth about miniatures? Are they hyperactive and bark constantly and need so much attention that only someone with ADHD should own one? I want a mellow dog that is easy to be around and loves all the family. BUT, the only (one family)standard poodles I've looked at were HUGE! The daddy's head came up almost to my bust. Is this normal size??????

I live in so. California and would like to find a "small" black, female, standard poodle - I think that would be the dog for me.

Thank you
[notify]
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Fri Jun 22, '12 11:23am PST 
I suggest you make a new thread about what you're looking for, rather than revive a 2 year old zombie thread and accusing everyone of not being helpful.
[notify]

Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Fri Jun 22, '12 11:32am PST 
I agree with Lilith... and, aside from ONE post by a well-known spammer, there was NO nastiness in this thread at all... everyone seemed pretty upfront and honest with their responses.
[notify]
Lola

Poodle, not- doodle!

Barked: Fri Jun 22, '12 11:38am PST 
Hello - I came to this web site by google search because I'm seriously looking to buy either a miniature or standard poodle. I need honest answers. This is a VERY important decision for me. Yet, contrary to the site's warning, all I read here is bickering. I suggest, please, that you take it to another chat room somewhere else.

If you are seriously looking, you need to do less googling and more going to dog shows and talking to breeders and owners. Also, don't dig up an old thread with relatively little bickering. Forums are for discussion and that is what happened here.

I am looking for real answers to which type I should buy. Please help me with the truth.

I had a toy poodle as a young girl and she was wonderful - terrific temperament, didn't bark much, and loved all of us. They have a bad reputation for nothing!

There isn't really a truth so much as an opinion. I have standard poodles because a medium large active dog fits my lifestyle. No one can tell you what will best fit into your life without knowing you intimately.

What is the truth about miniatures? Are they hyperactive and bark constantly and need so much attention that only someone with ADHD should own one? I want a mellow dog that is easy to be around and loves all the family. BUT, the only (one family)standard poodles I've looked at were HUGE! The daddy's head came up almost to my bust. Is this normal size??????

Minis are great, if well bred, Just like any other dog. Poodle are attention seakers, they want to be with you and assist you in what you are doing. That is something I personally like about them.
Look at other standard poodles. Some of the best breeder in the US are in CA so you should have a good variety to look at. My dogs are 26 inches at the withers and 25 inches at the withers. Withers being their shoulder blades. Lola is the larger at 60lbs and Ice is closer to 50lbs.

Edited by author Fri Jun 22, '12 11:39am PST

[notify]
Sonja

It's all about- me.

Barked: Fri Jun 22, '12 1:05pm PST 
AKC criteria for the differences in sizes...

Toy - 10 inches and below at the withers (shoulders).
Miniature - between 10 and 15 inches at the withers.
Standard - 15 inches and above at the withers.

I have 2 Standard Poos, a Mini and 2 Toy Poodles. My entire crew are laid back, loving, very kid friendly, and soft mouthed dogs. My mini (Hershey) is our highest energy dog...but is really ok just hanging out with his peeps.

The best thing about Poodles is their versatility! They are happiest when they are with their people....doing whatever. They adapt well to most lifestyles...as long as they aren't left alone for long periods of time. They are typically not a one person dog...they bond deeply to all members of the family.

I was told before I got Standard Poodles their energy levels were too high for my lifestyle. The breeder asked what I was looking for...I told her I needed harmony in my home first and foremost. I wanted to do Therapy work and Agility with my Std. Poo. She chose the right pup for us and they are everything I asked for and more. cloud 9

My first toy poodle (Sumo) is a rescue. He changed my mind about small dogs. I had no intention on keeping him...just to get him out of his horrible situation. He had 2 absessed teeth, impacted anal glands (so bad the glands had to be removed), a raging UTI, and a frost bitten testicle...besides being under weight as well. $700. + later (vet bill) he emerged a lover boy that was nothing like my pre-conceived notions of a toy poodle...and won me over. Hasn't been a day since that I have regretted keeping him. cloud 9
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Fri Jun 22, '12 5:11pm PST 
As a mini owner with some show guys who are quite close to the top size, I need to correct Sonja a bit, but only in the wording of the AKC standard... Toys are up to and including ten inches, mini's are over ten inches and up to and including fifteen inches, standards are OVER 15 inches. Soo, a 15 inch standard would actually be a mini, not a standard.
However, in the "real" show world, the average toy is between 9 1/2 and 10 1/2 inches. Most show mini's are around 14 1/2 to 15 1/2, but Toto is almost 16 inches, was never measured out and actually has quite a few points toward his championship. However, my silver male, Tinman was EXACTLY the same height and was measured out three times in a row. Black always gives the appearance of being smaller, I guess. Even standing side by side, they would toss out the silver and leave Toto in the ring!!
[notify]
Sonja

It's all about- me.

Barked: Fri Jun 22, '12 8:03pm PST 
way to go Thanks Toto applause
[notify]
Bridgit

don't hate me- because I'm- beautiful

Barked: Fri Jun 22, '12 8:37pm PST 
I've never met a poodle I didn't like, any size. I work with dogs everyday. Poodles are absolutely wonderful!
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 29)  
1  2  3