GO!

Pit and Beagle Mix

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Abby

"Our Great- Japanese" says 6- yr old dd

Barked: Wed Dec 23, '09 2:40pm PST 
First of all, what do you think you would call this mix? I have read Peagle but I believe that is a Pekineese and Beagle. Any other ideas?
Also, what do you think of this mix? Would you have one if you had children?
[notify]
In loving- memory of- Lilo

Support bully- love. Ban BSL.

Barked: Wed Dec 23, '09 4:17pm PST 
Personally, I'd call it a mutt.

I've heard of a lot of designer breeds... this is a new one. shock

Honestly, when I think of a pit bull x beagle mix dog, I wanna bang my head against the table and make it stop. Not because I would never own one. I might, actually, because I love the hounds and the terriers, both are a fit and I think I could handle a hound x terrier mix. Really, I wanna bang my head on the table thinking about the people that would own one that can't.

It seems a dangerous combination. Both breeds are very intense. My neighbor, and elderly lady, has a beagle. That is one intense dog. If he's left alone too long, he never shuts up. Seriously. There have been days I had to talk myself out of calling animal control on her. He barks at everything. He barks if a leaf blows past him. He barks at people walking down the street. He barks at his toys. He barks at his owner. He barks at me. He barks at cats, dogs, squirrels... you name it, he's probably barked at it. He needs a lot of exercise but, sadly, his owner- being a senior- can't always provide it for him. I've offered to walk him if she can't every now and then, maybe one day she'll take me up on that offer.

Beagles get bored if left to their own devices. In my experience with beagles, this isn't a good thing. I've known beagles to tear up their owners couches, shoes, pillows, tables, boxes, anything in sight. It isn't just separation anxiety for them, either. It's boredom. They can be stubborn, hard to train, even. That's not to say they're not intelligent, they are, but they are very stubborn. Which is what makes me think Sandy has beagle in her. She is a very bright dog but if she doesn't wanna do something, by dog, she is not doing it. A beagle, like many hound and sporting breeds, needs an owner that is willing to exercise more than most small dogs (because all small dogs need a lot of exercise, but the ones that were and sometimes still are working breeds need more) and a lot of training.

Seems a good way to water down some of those beagle traits would be a good ol' family dog like the American pit bull terrier... but, when I think of the exercise requirements, that's when I want to bang my head against the table.

Pit bulls are very active dogs. Some of them are content just sleeping on the couch, but many of them (especially those from working lines, like Lilo, if I remember correctly, her parents were weight pullers and from "game lines") possibly have Gatoraid in their genetic make up. Much like beagles, if they don't get that exercise they need, they can get bored. Lilo can go on eight or more hour walks a day and still want to go for more. I do my best to keep her tired which is very hard. Just like it's hard for my neighbor to keep her beagle tired. A romp around the yard just doesn't cut it for her. I do all kinds of things with her. I play fetch, I spin her (this is a fun thing to do... gives her jaw and teeth exercise and gets me dizzy, gotta be careful doing this, though... I won't bring her more than a couple centimeters off the ground), I play tug (even though some people discourage it, she has boundaries), I play chase, I take her to the park (not the dog park, the park that allows dogs as long as there's not many people there, but it's not a dog park)... if it got her tired, I would go hiking with her! That's how energetic she is. Being from the lines she's from, I honestly think she'd be happier if she had a job to do. Sometimes, I feel bad being unable to provide her with that job... but I do my best to keep her tired. Because a tired pit bull is a happy pit bull. This isn't too say there aren't mellow pit bulls. In recent years, pit bulls have been bred for working less and less and for shows and pets more and more and the result is a calm pit bull. Which, I suppose could water down the intenseness of a beagle... but, going by the majority, I have to say, if I owned a beagle x pit bull mix and didn't know what I know about hounds and terriers, I would need a lot of Prozac.

Pit bulls are just as intense. And, just like beagles, if left alone for too long can get loud. Very loud. Lilo gets as loud as my neighbors beagle sometimes. I thank dog that our neighbors love dogs or I'm sure they would've called animal control on her long ago.

A beagle pit bull mix might actually be a good dog. Odd combinations sometimes are. One would think that a border collie x chihuahua mix would require Prozac but I knew someone with one and the dog was the perfect match for her. Hyper as all heck, but the perfect match for that person. That's the beauty of mutts. There's something for everyone. Like, Sandy, for example, was perfect for me because she's a little of everything that I like. A little toy, a little herder, a little hound and possibly, even, a little terrier. If you like hounds and terriers, a pit bull x beagle mix might be perfect. Just remember, check your local shelter or rescue. The number of pit bull mixes such places have is usually large. I can't think of a single reputable breeder that would purposely breed such a strange combination, to be honest. way to go

ETA: As far as having one with children, pit bulls are generally very good with children. Some beagles are, some aren't. I think it would be a good combination for children... it depends on the individual dog, though.

Edited by author Wed Dec 23, '09 4:18pm PST

[notify]
Gir

All that lives- is holy.

Barked: Wed Dec 23, '09 4:40pm PST 
I'd also call it a mutt.

Gir is part Beagle part Doberman, which is slightly different because a Doberman was bred to be a manstopper and a pit bull was bred to be an all-around companion, fighter, hunter and stock worker. However, it is a cross between a Beagle and a high-energy, hard working dog.

I would have no problem having Gir around children now, but I wouldn't have raised him around children. He was a jerk. He would bite, growl, wantonly destroy things, et cetera. He was just an awful puppy. He would've hurt a child, I have no doubt. He's trustworthy now, though.

Gir has an intense exercise regimen. I bike with him forty minutes a day, almost every day. He gets walked almost every day, usually a couple of miles. He plays fetch and I work with him on training multiple times per day. He's an excellent draft dog and I used to work him every other day, but haven't done so in a while. He's a good ratter and varmint hunting dog and does both regularly.

He's a very obedient dog, very willing to please, but the flawed nature he was born with is still lurking under there. I have no doubt that if he thought someone was hurting me or a threat to me, he would HURT them. I had an argument with my husband a few weeks ago and Gir was sitting in my lap- he bared all his teeth and let my husband, who helped raise him from a pup, that if he laid a hand on me, he'd draw back a nub.

If I get behind on Gir's exercise, he whines a lot and is just a general pain.

He's a wonderful, quirky dog, but not a dog that would've worked out for the average dog owner. He would've owned them, not the other way around.

He sticks to me like velcro, even goes in the bathroom with me if I let him. Sits beside me while I'm in the tub, gets in the shower with me when I need to wash him- he's the most loyal dog you could ever ask for.

Gir almost never barks- maybe once every couple of weeks.

If you want a dog like this, be prepared to formulate an exercise program that would keep you in shape for a triathalon.
[notify]

Abby

Barked: Wed Dec 23, '09 5:12pm PST 
Thanks for the advice. It gives me something to think about. We currently have a great pyrenees which I love but she is so mellow that we can't even get her to play at all really. Don't get me wrong, she is a terrific dog but...
Anyway, the pit and beagle mix are puppies found locally, online. They are only 8 weeks old. I prefer to adopt strays, pounds puppies, etc rather than have a breeder pup. I have always loved pits but honestly have that nagging doubt about them that you always here. I don't believe it and have done much research but it is always nagging. Beagles have always been a favorite since my family are hunters and have always had them around. I get they can be loud though.Hmmm....not sure if I could handle this. Uggh...wish there was some way to really tell how much energy and loudness they would have beforehand. LOL.
We are not a real active family, daily walks but that is it. We do have a couple of acres that the dog can be allowed to play and a pool in the summer time. Abby only wants to lay in the wooded area outside and the pool scares her. LOL.

Anyway, thanks so much for the help. I am waiting until after the holidays though. I don't want a new pup in the mix of all of that.
[notify]
Abby

Barked: Wed Dec 23, '09 5:34pm PST 
Btw, I have never chosen a puppy before. Can you give me some advice?
[notify]
Gir

All that lives- is holy.

Barked: Thu Dec 24, '09 11:51am PST 
I'd observe the puppies carefully for as long as is allowed and choose the most middle-of-the-road puppy.

If they're pound pups, I'm sure you know they may or may not be beagle/pit crosses. Sometimes breed guesses are just guesses, unless they were turned in by a BYB who had intentionally crossed them.
[notify]
Bonnie Lass- -in loving- memory-

This is soft,- I'm sure I'll- fit on it!

Barked: Thu Dec 24, '09 11:55pm PST 
What kind of advice? Breed advice or what to look for in a puppy advice?
Are you thinking of going the breeder or shelter route?
What exactly do you want from the dog and what are you wanting to put into exercise and training?
Sorry to grill ya, that's not my intention! But those answers will help posters know how to advise you!
Good luck! happy dance
[notify]

Barked: Fri Dec 25, '09 8:58am PST 
BOL I'd call it a piggle.

No I don't think they're bad for children, but you just need to keep them busy.
[notify]
Abby

Barked: Tue Dec 29, '09 10:20am PST 
Thanks for the advice so far, I didn't feel grilled at all. Sometimes I give too much info, sometimes too little, and sometimes just unhelpful information. LOL. Let's see if this helps.

1. We would be adopting the Pit/Beagle Mix from a local that advertised them online. The owner says the "papered" beagle, hers, "mixed" with her brothers "papered" American Pit Bull while he was pet sitting. The pups are free but this is only a small factor.

2. We are a family of 7, five kids with ages ranging from 10 months to 13 yrs.

3. We have a very laid back great pyrenees named Abbey. She is a little too laid back and doesn't want to "play" much. We see glimpses of her playfulness, especially with other dogs, but only small glimpses.

4. We are active but honestly don't "walk" much. Abbey is always walked to potty and has at least one small daily walk outside of it. She is sometimes put on a long lead especially when the children are playing soccer nearby. (This area is not fenced.) We have 3/4 acres chainlink fenced which we happily let Abbey roam but only when there is supervision. We have learned the hard way that Abbey will find a way out, usually pushing down a section of fence with her massive body. When she is loose, she roams and is very difficult to get to return. When we let her outside in the fenced area, we try to get her to play but she usually just runs the opposite way or goes into the "wooded" area to hide. Honestly, it isn't enjoyable to "be" outside with her loose when she doens't interract with you. However, when a friend with three dogs petsitted, she was very playful with the dogs and eventually with the owner taking cues from the other animals. Which is a reason for us considering another dog.

4. We would like a dog that is protective of the children if they are playing outside. Don't get me wrong, we supervise our children but a dog protector is always a plus. We had a lab, Gideon that had free reign of the entire 2 acres and never wondered off our property. He was also very friendly but protective at the same time. We loved him dearly and miss him. He passed of old age. My kids don't want another lab because it reminds them too much of Giddy.

5. We have a large 20X40 ft inground pool that we use all summer and would love a dog to swim too. Abbey is terrified of it. No amount of coaxing has helped. This isnt a necessary for the new pup but a plus.
[notify]
Abby

Barked: Tue Dec 29, '09 10:28am PST 
I meant to add...

We have two barn cats of course outside.

My oldest daughter has a hamster.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2