GO!

Boxer Pros and cons

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Barked: Wed Apr 15, '09 6:22am PST 
Hey Everyone
Im thinking about getting a boxer when i get older. Im 13 right now so i will have to wait till i move out which will be at the age of 20 probably. Ive always liked boxers and would like to learn more about them. They seem like a wonderful dog breed. So can anyone give me some pros and cons about them please. Other imformation is great too. Thanks! wink
[notify]
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Wed Apr 15, '09 7:31am PST 
The Pros:
1. They make you laugh. The boxer is a giant clown of a dog.
2. They are very smart.
3. They have a short coat which means little grooming.
4. There just awsome!!

Cons:
1. They dont do well in extreme heat or cold weather.
2. When females get around 6 years old, they dont like other dogs that much.
3. They are prone to cancer and seizures.

Once you get a boxer, you will never have anything else!!! blue dog
[notify]
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Wed Apr 15, '09 7:31am PST 
The Pros:
1. They make you laugh. The boxer is a giant clown of a dog.
2. They are very smart.
3. They have a short coat which means little grooming.
4. There just awsome!!

Cons:
1. They dont do well in extreme heat or cold weather.
2. When females get around 6 years old, they dont like other dogs that much.
3. They are prone to cancer and seizures.

Once you get a boxer, you will never have anything else!!! blue dog
[notify]

Bandit

Life is GOOD:)

Barked: Wed Apr 15, '09 7:37am PST 
I have never owned a Boxer but my neighbor does and she is a great dog and good with there kids and friends. Here is a website to give you some information on Boxers. http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/boxer.htm
[notify]
Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Wed Apr 15, '09 8:46am PST 
The Boxer is the clown of the dog world laugh out loud Smart, friendly, energetic, family orientated.

Socialization is key just as with any other breed but some male Boxers can show Dominance towards other large males. I've never heard of females suddenly hating other dogs...i think that's got more to do with socialization then anything else.

In true Boxer style, they actually box when they play ( hence the name ) They can be extremely boisterous especially in youth and training classes are a must. They have a happy disposition and are loyal to their owners. They make good watch dogs but the majority of Boxers are to friendly to do anything other then lick and try to climb on peoples lap laugh out loud

They come in Fawn or Brindle however sometimes all white pups are born into a litter too. Although this is not a recognized colour it doesn't make a Boxer any less then a Boxer. Breeders in the old days ( and it probably still happens now too ) used to cull white Boxers at birth! Many breeders today tend to sell White Boxers at a lower price then there coloured siblings. White Boxers are more prone to skin problems and deafness.

Boxers are prone to Cancers and Heart problems. I would recomend you see health checks of both parentrs hearts.

Pro's...

Is medium to large and well-muscled
Has a big muscular head and short face
Has a sleek easy-care coat
Is steadfast and reliable
Makes a sensible watchdog, and looks so imposing that he is an effective deterrent even when friendly

Cons..

Rowdiness and exuberant jumping, especially when young
Destructiveness when bored or not exercised enough
Aggression or fearfulness when not socialized enough
Aggression toward other animals
Strong-willed mind of his own, requiring a confident owner who can take charge
Shedding
Snorting, wheezing, snoring
Slobbering and drooling
Gassiness (flatulence)
Serious health problems and a short lifespan.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Apr 15, '09 9:08am PST 
Thanks!

I also want to ask this, When i move out which is in a while, i will be renting a house with my two sisters. The only problem is my twin sister wants a chinese crested, and my older sister wants a papillon. Do you think a boxer would be able to stay in the same house with two small dogs? I would never leave him in the same room with them when i have to go out. I would also carefully watch him when he tries playing with them to make sure he isnt to rough. smile
[notify]
Ghost

The King

Barked: Wed Apr 15, '09 9:20am PST 
Did you say Boxer? Boxers are the Best!! As long as they are properly socialized when they are puppies it should not be a problem. I have 2 boxers on we purchased for a breeder and one we rescued from a shelter. They get a long and they get along with cats, and when I purchased my 3rd dog they got a long great with her.

Pros: Very smart, eager to please and learn
Great Guard dog
Can be a couch potato with you
Can range from 30-100pds
Love to play
most get along well with kids, other dogs, and cats

Cons: Prone to Hip problems and certain cancers
Jumpers, droolers and snores
[notify]
Chewbacca

Play?! Let's- PLAY!!!

Barked: Wed Apr 15, '09 9:50am PST 
Do you think a boxer would be able to stay in the same house with two small dogs?- Yes, as long as it is well socialized.

Also, not sure where you live but make sure that when renting that they will allow you to have a dog that will weigh over 25 lbs and be sure to ask if Boxers are an acceptable breed.
I had some problems with this when looking to rent a house here in Oregon.
We did eventually find one but there were a lot of places that grouped Boxers in with the other restricted breeds (Dobermans, German Shepherds, Akita, Rottweiler, Pits, Ect.)

Pros:
BIG goofballs
Loyal
Smart (require mental stimulation in addition to physical exercise).
Good with kids
Short coats
Quiet

Cons:
Health problems (heart problems, allergies, cancer)
Sensitive stomachs (be prepared to spend money on their food and the vet)
Short life spans
Heat/Cold sensitive

They are very high energy and require plenty of exercise (as with any other dog).
Since they come from a working breed they need something to do or they will get bored. I would recommend reading up on the NILIF (nothing in life is free) training.

As with any breed, it all depends on the dog. Yes they do require a LOT of work, but it is SOOOO worth it and they will melt your heart and make you laugh every day (and sometimes make you mad).

Maybe you could find out if there is a Boxer rescue in your area that would allow you to visit, possibly volunteer and this would allow you time to spend some time with different Boxers.
If not, maybe your local shelter might have some that you could walk.

Edited by author Wed Apr 15, '09 9:52am PST

[notify]
Dessie

Wow, that- sandwich looks- scrumptious!

Barked: Wed Apr 15, '09 11:08am PST 
Let me preface that I have never owned a boxer. I am only going on my observations at the dog park. Boxers have a different style of play and at times it looks very aggressive and too rough. I've noticed many other dogs either become very afraid of boxers or become aggressive right back. In my observations I've found that many dogs don't realize that boxers are just playing and not purposefully being aggressive. To be honest I used to love boxers, but after incident after incident after incident and then Dessie getting attacked by two at the same time, my fondness for them has lessened a bit. I still like them, don't get me wrong, just not their playing style!

Before any boxer owners harp on my back, I am in no way "dissing" your dog. I've just found that many dogs don't understand their style of play and thus fights or bullying ensues. I'm not saying that ALL boxers do this - there are always exceptions - and I'm not saying that boxers are the ONLY dogs to cause a ruckus! They are fun loving dogs with an insane amount of energy! They are definately the "class clown" of all dogs! They're just misunderstood amonst their peers! big laugh

Edited by author Wed Apr 15, '09 11:10am PST

[notify]
Chewbacca

Play?! Let's- PLAY!!!

Barked: Wed Apr 15, '09 11:47am PST 
I'm not sure if this is permitted, if not I apologize ahead of time, but Guest I would reccomend visiting a website called Boxerworld and there you will find forums and information from Boxer owners.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2