GO!

Breeds That Do Well in Hot Climates

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Grania

Bulldozer =]

Barked: Sat Jan 3, '09 2:11pm PST 
What are some breeds that do well in hot climates? Particularly bigger/guardian breeds? I have a few ideas but I'd like some input
Thanks!
[notify]
Keiko- (4/8/98-12/5- /12)

Queen fuddy- duddy

Barked: Sat Jan 3, '09 3:19pm PST 
Most breeds will do fine in warmer, even hot climates provided they aren't living outside and aren't walked to exhaustion.

But if you're looking for shorter haired breeds, and larger and/or guardian types, here are a couple to consider:

great dane
doberman
rottweiler
giant schnauzer
mastiff
tosa inu
dogo argentino
cane corso
st. bernard (short haired variety)
fila brasileiro
am. bulldog

But with posting these I always have to ask..................why exactly are you looking for a guardian type dog? I don't know if this is the reason or not but I always frown upon people purchasing a dog just for guard dog purposes.
[notify]
Grania

Bulldozer =]

Barked: Sat Jan 3, '09 3:45pm PST 
I definitely wouldn't be training the dog in any guarding behaviors, but it seems that just having the type of dog, or even just a big dog, is often enough to deter people with malicious intents. We would probably be moving to a kind of dangrous area and I'd feel better walking a big dog down the street then a little one.

And we would never, ever keep a dog outside. I told my hubs when we get another dog we'll have to get a bigger bed for us all to sleep on =] I was just wondering if there were any dogs that do better then others in hot climates because we might be moving to the SW, and are very outdoorsy people who like to hike and camp often with our dog. For example, I think Salukies were originally bred in a desert climate, and Rhodesian Ridgebacks because they originated in Africa, but I'm not sure of either having a higher tolerance, I'm just guessing =]

Edited by author Sat Jan 3, '09 3:46pm PST

[notify]

Ellie CGC

Ellie - more cookies,- please

Barked: Sat Jan 3, '09 4:55pm PST 
I have a friend in Arizona with an Anatolian Shepherd Dog. She does a lot of hiking and camping and says the dog tolerates heat very well, as long as ample water is provided. I know that there are lots of different coat lengths for ASD's -- if I were looking for one that was going to be out in hot weather a lot I would see out a shorter-haired dog.
I would think Rhodesians would be a great fit for you too. Also maybe check out Canaan Dogs and Catahoula Leopard Dogs.
[notify]
Keiko- (4/8/98-12/5- /12)

Queen fuddy- duddy

Barked: Sat Jan 3, '09 5:17pm PST 
Any breed bred out of the middle east, africa, or parts of australia should have a natural tolerance to warmer weather as they were originally bred to be able to withstand the temperatures there.

however, most of them aren't typical guardian dogs.

The anatolian would be a good choice as well.
Forgot about the GSD, although not originally used for guarding, they do make good protectors and would do okay in the SW despite their coat.

There are also a number of breeds that originated in the SW US, most of them hunting breeds.........again, not your typical guardian types of dogs.

But really any dog can withstand the temps. I know of people living in the SW that have newfies, pyrs and huskies and other longer, thick coated breeds. Dogs adapt rather well to their surroundings.
[notify]
Summer

Have a Nice Day!

Barked: Sat Jan 3, '09 5:32pm PST 
Troops in Iraq have been using Belgian Malinois because of their tolerance for the heat. They apparently switched to Malis over GSDs because the GSDs were taking too long to get acclimated to the intense desert heat. I remember some documentary saying the GSDs were taking up to a mth to get acclimated whereas the Malis took maybe a week before they started working.

My Mali-mix deals with heat ok. She much prefers the cold, but even in high summer (which in NYC can get quite nasty...) she and I spent time playing and working outdoors. I routinely splashed her with water, especially around her neck and under her belly, to cool her down, and also offered water often. That seems to help.

Just bear in mind though, Bel Mals are a particularly tricky breed. People either love their drive or can't deal with it. They do need to be trained in something like obedience or agility or schutzhund or SAR etc, and they do need to be worked - if not they get bored and go "looking for trouble" as I like to call it. They're also extraordinarily active. If I don't spend more than 3 hrs a day walking/playing/training with her, she starts bugging me to play at home. Some days we spend 8 or more hrs outdoors doing stuff.
[notify]
Sparky

Hurricane Ike- Pound Puppy

Barked: Sat Jan 3, '09 6:37pm PST 
Here are some:

Rottweilers
Doberman Pinschers
Standard Poodle (Hunter dogs)
Labrador Retrievers (Hunter dogs too!)

Can't think of any other ones.
[notify]
Bully's Beau

I'm a sexy- beast, NOT an- aggressive one!

Barked: Sat Jan 3, '09 8:14pm PST 
Well, I live in a hotter climate, and it seems like poodles, rottweilers, great danes, american bulldogs and APBTs are pretty common big dogs around here, not to mention tolerate the heat well. Unfortunately, I Beau the akita do not tolerate the heat well at all. Instead, I spend much of my time lounging inside.
[notify]
Max

Leisure Dog- Extraordinare!

Barked: Mon Jan 5, '09 3:16pm PST 
Our Ridgebacks seem to love the warmer weather here in AZ. They have no undercoat & their hair is short, so they're well suited for the heat. AZ has extreme heat, though, and any dog that exercises when it gets around 100 or so should be exposed to it slowly so that they can adapt. When it gets around 115 - forget it! And remember that the pavement gets verrrrry hot. If it's hot on your feet, it will be hot on the dogs' - and pavement here can blister your feet in seconds in the summer.
[notify]
♱- Cheyenne- ♱

Life is Good!

Barked: Mon Jan 5, '09 3:19pm PST 
Funny thing about ACD's... they're bred to run 80 miles in 100+ degrees without water, but try and tell one that. All the ACD's my husband bred for running cows in southwest Utah, and the two we've had refuse to leave the shade unless they absolutely have to. Cheyenne loved the cold and snow here in AZ, and disliked the heat....
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2