GO!

Home of the World's only...

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 6 of 10: Viewing entries 51 to 60)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  
Shandi *Oct- 2006 - Aug 2012*

Goofball

Barked: Wed Dec 3, '08 12:16pm PST 
They look like they're crossed with Chihuahuas. I'm surprised people would even pay that much for one.
[notify]
Keiko- (4/8/98-12/5- /12)

Queen fuddy- duddy

Barked: Wed Dec 3, '08 1:37pm PST 
Now i don't know if this is the same breeder or not, but we have 2 mini dals that frequently board at work.
On this guys website, at least most of the dogs look fairly similar.
The two that come into work, do not. I think that after breeding for 20 years, no matter what the ethics on doing it...........you should have some kind of breed standard by now.
These 2 dogs are not the same size, one is about 1/3 smaller than the other. The one's ears stick almost straight out and are very thick, while the other has terrier button ears.
And from looking at the two at work, beagle did go into their creation as well as some kind of terrier and perhaps chihuahua as well and who knows what else.
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Wed Dec 3, '08 6:16pm PST 
Anyone care to explain how you could have a patched, tri-color or brindle Dalmatian?

Oh, that's right. You can't.

The first two are disqualifications in the show ring, and the breed standard doesn't even bother to mention brindles.
[notify]

Ginger DSA- ThD TT CGC - &hearts

My Angel

Barked: Wed Dec 3, '08 6:29pm PST 
Actually there are patched, tri-color and brindle Dalmatians but those are very uncommon.
Info here:

That site actually mentions the so-called "mini Dals" too.

As for using 'adopt' I have used the term adopt when I was looking at breeders and contacting them because saying "I want to buy a puppy from you" just sounds....wrong somehow. I don't know.
[notify]
Belgian

I am the- Chocolate boy!

Barked: Wed Dec 3, '08 6:51pm PST 
Vance there is always mutations in any breeds and certain colors do not come out right.

Look at Belgian. After he got older we realized he has some tan points on his tail and around his head. However I know for a fact he is purebred lab as I met his parents, grandparents, and aunts and uncles as well as cousins. Not at the same house of course.
Labrador Retriever Mismarks

All of these dogs are purebred labs. However none f them would qualify in the ring.

Here is another Dalmatian breeder talking about the dalmatian mismarks

Dalmatian Colors

If the dog is a mismark by no means should that dog ever be bred. They will never be allowed into the show ring that is for sure. Sometimes it takes a little longer for the color to show up too. With Belgian we were told he had perfect conformation as a puppy then his first surgery came and a few months after that tha tan spots appeared. We love him nevertheless and he is a great dog and has a perfect labrador temperment but he is neutered and he doesn't show in the ring because he is disqualified. Belgian is still a purebred but genetics took a role.
[notify]
Mia

5/12/08-10/10/10-

Barked: Wed Dec 3, '08 7:08pm PST 
Love that link on Dalmatian coloring Belgian, I had no idea about the patches.
[notify]
Ginger DSA- ThD TT CGC - &hearts

My Angel

Barked: Wed Dec 3, '08 7:26pm PST 
Oops my link didn't go through, this is the site:

http://www.geocities.com/paisleydals/color.html
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Wed Dec 3, '08 8:49pm PST 
Yes, and they are all disqualifications and should not be part of any breeding stock, let alone listed as an "available color."
[notify]
Belgian

I am the- Chocolate boy!

Barked: Wed Dec 3, '08 8:55pm PST 
The mutations will still rise in any breeding stock. Woodhaven Labs for example is one of the finest Labrador Retriever kennels however they even admitted that they have had mis marked labs in the past.

The sites are not listing them as an available color but they are saying that this can happen in the Dalmatian breed . They also say that even though the dog is still purebred, do not breed this dog. Sometimes the mutations are hidden and you can't see them until they appear. With labs tan markings in chocolates usually happen when you breed a chocolate and a yellow together. This should be avoided but I have seen even the finest breeders still breed this way.
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Wed Dec 3, '08 9:14pm PST 
From the Mini Dal FAQs: "Q. What colors are available?
A. All Dalmatians are born solid white, and then develop either Dilute or Mosaic spot patterns. The spots develop into several colors: black and white, liver and white, tri-colors, and brindles.

Q. What spot patterns are available?
A. All Dalmatians are born solid white, and then develop either Dilute or Mosaic spot patterns. If a spot is visible at birth (usually over the eye, ear, or elsewhere on the body), it is known as a PATCH."
[notify]
  (Page 6 of 10: Viewing entries 51 to 60)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10