GO!

Home of the World's only...

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 5 of 10: Viewing entries 41 to 50)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Tue Dec 2, '08 2:57pm PST 
Just chiming in with a couple of points.

The speuter contract here is NOT stemming from any ethical principle, but rather is the breeders' attempt to "control the blood" - to protect his resource by being sure he is the only one who can be breeding the mini Dals he is offering. I have seen this done by a number of "extreme" breeders. If they get, let's say, a teacup size dog few others are able to come up with, they will only sell on a speuter to be sure no one else can start supplying what they can.

Secondly, in my earlier post I said some of the head structures on these poor dogs was indicatin a toy cross, the Chi grapevine guess sort of vibing with what I was seeing structurally. At the time, and now, I have grave concerns about this breeding program, and it makes me terrifically sad. The Dalmatian is a good sized breed of dog, but one more reactive than is typical for his size class. Under improper treatment, he has more of a tendency to be snappy, sappy or neurotic. The unique Dalmatian personality, which has many strengths, suffered greatly with the popularity explosion after "the" movie came out. Given the Dal tendencies, I find crossing with toys, who tend to be sharper and more reactive typically, the potential stability of temperament on these puppies is of great concern, and, as noted, very sad for the potential fallout and dog lives who will suffer for such a stupid pursuit born from some spoiled brat objectives.

Very depressing. Makes my stomach turn.

Edited by author Tue Dec 2, '08 3:02pm PST

[notify]
Madison Marjorie

Serenity Now

Barked: Tue Dec 2, '08 3:11pm PST 
Very well said. I still feel ill at the thought of what happened to Dals when the movie came out. It still brings tears to my eyes even now and breaks my heart. I have always loved and admired the breed from afar (maybe one day). It really is sad what they are doing here.
[notify]
Mississippi

throw me a- frickin' bone- here

Barked: Tue Dec 2, '08 4:21pm PST 
It is incredibly sad. Those poor Dals and fake Dals.

Zepp, Miss would like to invite you over to show her how to socialize with turkey thighs. In fact, she will let you befriend them if you bring her some red meat.

Belgian

I am the- Chocolate boy!

Barked: Tue Dec 2, '08 4:48pm PST 
OMG go ook at the photos. Their car says I am a proud owner of a rescued Dal and not only that one of their last photos is them with the Dalmatian rescue. They have the fake dals there too.

Gets me angry
[notify]
Madison Marjorie

Serenity Now

Barked: Tue Dec 2, '08 4:59pm PST 
Uhh Belgian I hadn't noticed that either. I wonder why a rescue would want to work along side people like that?

Also instead of buying they say "puppy adoption". I wish there was a barf icon. These people are really awful, and seem to be very proud of it.cry
[notify]
Belgian

I am the- Chocolate boy!

Barked: Tue Dec 2, '08 5:12pm PST 
They look like mixed breeds with spots. They don't even look dalmatian to me
[notify]
Cobain ADC,- SGDC, CGN

More Bored- Collies

Barked: Tue Dec 2, '08 5:37pm PST 
So essentially the "breeder" (pathetic excuse for one anyways) is in it primarily for the money.
Especially considering the gross pet store pricing for the mutt puppies.

The speuter contracts are pretty much null are they not? Considering the ABC (or whatever their imaginary kennel club is), is seemingly non existent beyond the "Mini/Toy Dalmatian" world.

This "breeder" seems to have given the incorrect meaning for the term "mosaic", to my understanding, mosaic markings are when a dog is primarily black spotted, with ONE liver or off coloured spot. Not a "spot pattern with numerous spots that are vivid, and may cluster together." And I also believe their definition for Dilute is off for the breed as well.

Their "adoption" (the term just sickens me when used like this adoption is saving a life, not contributing to the poor breeding practices) terms say absolutely nothing about how the dog should live past "not tethered" which that I agree with at least.

They will stay in touch *until* you receive the puppy.

The 100% health coverage only covers until the end of the flight *shakes head*

Policy is first come first serve, I hope they're talking about first come first serve basis to homes that can actually adequately accommodate this dog.

http://www.geocities.com/paisleydals/dalcrosses.html
Here's a link having to do with "Mini/Toy" Dalmatians. Stating that they are mixes of course, at least the owner of this site possesses some intelligence.
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Tue Dec 2, '08 5:57pm PST 
I for one shuddered when people started to use the word "adopt" when it came to purchasing a puppy from a breeder. I knew no good could come of it. I know some breeders and buyers use the term very affectionately....some linguistic symbol for dogs being loved and cherished family members....but, really, when you get right down to it the term is rather disrespectful to the rescue and shelter dogs who truly ARE "orphans." You have never caught me saying I adopted Tiller & co. and you never will for this reason. Sadly, my knee jerk comes to its truth's fruition....the BYBs are using rescue terms rampantly and their sites are full of warm and gooey fluff talk that is pure cr*p. I don't care from a breeder how much you mush this or goo that. I care that you breed responsibly, ethically and with purpose and, quite frankly, if more decent breeders could keep things in that realm, rather than saying "raised in my kitchen," it would be useful, putting in potential buyers the concept that a breeder is more than a dog lover, but an incredibly discerning enthusiast of deep knowledge and experience, and maintaining of high standards.

Edited by author Tue Dec 2, '08 6:04pm PST

[notify]
Marlo

I'm A Good Dog,- I Just Do Bad- Things

Barked: Tue Dec 2, '08 6:52pm PST 
OMG Tiller THANK YOU so much for bringing this up...I was just ranting on the phone to my best friend about how much I hate breeders (ESPECIALLY bad breeders) using the term "adopt". It's not adopting when you are purposely creating more dogs to sell them for money. It's not an "adoption fee", it's a purchase price. You don't go to the furniture store and ask to "adopt" a coffee table, do you??? (Okay extreme example but you know what I mean). Rant over, for now.
[notify]
Sunny &- Buster

We like it!

Barked: Wed Dec 3, '08 7:56am PST 
I saw those stickers too, Belgian. I wondered if it was a feel good prop they use in photos to peddle their dogs. People who don't know any better will see that and think that since they have those stickers and promote adoption then they must be ok. Wrong-O.
[notify]
  (Page 5 of 10: Viewing entries 41 to 50)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10