GO!

Really Great Low Energy Dogs

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  
MIHKOA -goodbye friends-

FANTASTIC!

Barked: Wed May 7, '08 4:13pm PST 
oh and i completely disagree with pugs being low energy, BOL!!! My good friend's pug does AGILITY!!!! way to go
[notify]
Tubby

Multo en Parvo-A- lot in a little!

Barked: Wed May 7, '08 5:48pm PST 
Pugs are definitely low energy compared to other breeds (exercise wise). They can do agility (in air conditioning) but they are not going to be a jogging partner. However, they are not low energy in doors particularly when young they love to run and play. All dogs take tons of work to care for correctly and in that way there are no real low energy or easy dogs. But when you compare a pug to a husky you can see that a pug is pretty low energy.
[notify]
Tubby

Barked: Wed May 7, '08 5:49pm PST 
Pugs are definitely low energy compared to other breeds (exercise wise). They can do agility (in air conditioning) but they are not going to be a jogging partner. However, they are not low energy in doors particularly when young they love to run and play. All dogs take tons of work to care for correctly and in that way there are no real low energy or easy dogs. But when you compare a pug to a husky you can see that a pug is pretty low energy.
[notify]

Pugsley

I Might Be Small- But I Have It- All!

Barked: Thu May 8, '08 6:17am PST 
My pug does agility too... but he is in no way shape or form high energy. Pugs can not do a lot of excise! Pugsley is a fast little man, he can even keep up with my Aussies, but he can't run more then 10-15 minutes without getting to worn out (he probably could, but I wouldn't let him... once he starts doing the "pug pant" as I like to call it, I make him stop).

To me, they are a pretty low energy breed. I bet any dog on the list she has could do agility.

I would never recommend a pug to anyone who wanted to do hiking or anything like that. But I would recommend them to someone who wants a good couch partner.

And as someone already said, ALL dogs need excise... Just some need less smile

Edited by author Thu May 8, '08 6:18am PST

[notify]
Sir Isaac- Newf-ton

what do you mean- I'm not a lap- dog

Barked: Thu May 8, '08 7:37am PST 
Your list unfortunately is full of working and some hunting dogs.Don't kid yourself they may not be JRT's but most of these dogs need something to do or they will find something to do and it won't be any thing you will be happy with.Unless you want a new couch or didn't want those shoes you just bought.
Now there is always an exception in a group but for the most part unless these working dogs are out of shape they are not low energy.
[notify]
swany

i love PNLL- little league!!

Barked: Thu May 8, '08 9:46am PST 
MY goldendoodle is so calm for being a puppy!! He's the best and he doesnt shed. But I think its all on the breeding of the dog.... You get what ya pay for...
[notify]
Tubby

Barked: Thu May 8, '08 11:40am PST 
I dont think calmness has anything to do with the quality breeding of the dog, there are lots of couch potato mutts out therw. You get what you pay for definitely does not fly with dogs since the most expensive dogs are often pet shop puppies and they are riddled with problems and come from awful conditions. Also some people love an active dog. I know people who would be misserable with my pugs and bulldog because they want a jogging companion or a dog to run after their kids on a hot day. The important thing is to know what you are looking for and to remember that all dogs need exercise and stimulation.
I went to an agility trial with my pugs to and it was lots of fun. When I get my next dog I thought I might sign it and the pugs up for a basic agility course.
[notify]
Tubby

Barked: Thu May 8, '08 11:41am PST 
I dont think calmness has anything to do with the quality breeding of the dog, there are lots of couch potato mutts out therw. You get what you pay for definitely does not fly with dogs since the most expensive dogs are often pet shop puppies and they are riddled with problems and come from awful conditions. Also some people love an active dog. I know people who would be misserable with my pugs and bulldog because they want a jogging companion or a dog to run after their kids on a hot day. The important thing is to know what you are looking for and to remember that all dogs need exercise and stimulation.
I went to an agility trial with my pugs to and it was lots of fun. When I get my next dog I thought I might sign it and the pugs up for a basic agility course.
[notify]
Douglas Kekoa

dig, dig, dig,- bark, bark,- bark, dig,

Barked: Thu May 8, '08 12:55pm PST 
Tubby is right. Price is not always an indication of getting a great dog. The saying "you get what you pay for" doesn't really apply here. IMO
[notify]
Lily

Adopt an Adult- Dog! Save a- life!

Barked: Thu May 8, '08 1:35pm PST 
Maybe "You get what you research" would be a better motto? I'm a pretty laid back "huntin' dawg." You got my cousin the B & T coonie on that list, but no English, Redbone, or Bluetick coonies. Granted, I can frolic & play like a pup, but I love my lounging time, too. Maybe I'm not a couch potato, but I can definitely imitate a starchy vegetable.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3