GO!

Whats the difference between a lhasa apso and a shih tzu?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Shiloh

Making friends- is the best!!!- :)

Barked: Sat Feb 2, '08 1:07am PST 
I'm really confused!!!
[notify]
Wufei

I'm not a boy,- I'm a real dog!

Barked: Sat Feb 2, '08 1:16am PST 
lhasas has longer snouts.

shih tzus has a rounder head and a flat nose.

and i don't know much after that. laugh out loud thing is... if i'm not wrong... lhasas and pekes are ancestors of tzus. wink
[notify]
Missie

Teeth kisses for- everyone!

Barked: Sat Feb 2, '08 10:44pm PST 
According to Heide Parker's study on the genetic structure of purebred dogs . . . not much!

The Lhasa, Shih Tzu and Peke were all incredibly close in genetic structure, closer than any other breeds to each other. If the Tibetan Spaniel and Japanese Chin would have been studied, I have no doubt that they would cluster in the same group.

Until the beginning of the 20th Century, in Nepal, Tibet, where these dogs originated, the Lhasa, Tibetan Spaniel (Tibet's close cousin of the Peke) and Shih tzu were all bred as the same breed, with smaller, larger, shedding and non-shedding dogs all coming from the same litters. This is noted in the writings of British breeders later on who refused to go back to Nepal to import "genuine" samples of the breed, as these breeders were well aware of the risk of then getting a pup that could throw a lot of variation.

But then, since the breed clubs separated these breeds, the Shih Tzu has larger rounder eyes, and a very, very short muzzle (like the Peke). The Lhasa has a medium - but square - muzzle with smaller eyes (like the Tibetan Spaniel). Shih Tzus tend to be smaller as well, shorter legges I believe. In temperament, the Lhasa tends to be more guarded with strangers than a Shih Tzu.
[notify]

Allee Oop!!!

I love my Mommy

Barked: Thu Feb 7, '08 5:54pm PST 
diff breed!!
have diff hair dos on dog shows too
[notify]
Chewy-ADOPTE- D!

Wannabe Muppet!

Barked: Thu Feb 7, '08 6:15pm PST 
The Lhasa Apso is a dog that Tibetan monks developed to guard their temples and also to be companion dogs in antiquity. It is said to be one of the oldest breeds around. The Chinese Royal Court (I believe it was the 1600's) began to breed Lhasa's with Pekes and Pugs to get the shorter snout that defines a Shih Tzu. In addition, they bred out some of the guardedness/protectiveness. Lhasa's are typically more aloof than their outgoing cousins of long ago the Shih Tzu. The Shih Tzu was brought to the west when the Chinese government gave a couple to European diplomats in the 19th century. Unsure about when the Lhasa arrived on the western scene though at first it was classified with the Tibetan Spaniel and the Shih Tzu as the same breed. As western breeding programs developed, the three breeds were separated. way to go

Edited by author Thu Feb 7, '08 6:17pm PST

[notify]
SARAH AND- SAMANTHA

Barked: Sat Feb 9, '08 9:35pm PST 
I am not sure which my girls are. They were both rescue furbabies. can anyone tell by looking at them?
[notify]
Keiko- (1994-2010)

Forever Loved

Barked: Sat Feb 9, '08 9:51pm PST 
From what I've read, Lhasa Apsos are much more stubborn so it's difficult to train them. I've also heard that because of their hard headedness they are not recommended for the first time dog owner.
[notify]
Ocean- (2002-2009)

Barked: Sat Feb 9, '08 9:59pm PST 
Hmm, not sure, but from what I know Lhasa Apso's are a bit bigger. At least here smile

Sarah and Samantha, I believe you are pure Shih Tzu smile
[notify]
Abigail!- ♥

I'm Abbalicious!

Barked: Wed Feb 13, '08 7:39pm PST 
They also have MUCH different personalities.

I would say shih tzus in general are a little more social with other dogs and lhasas can be a little more stubborn.

Also, lhasas are bigger and taller than tzus, have a longer nose and do not wear their hair in a top knot.
[notify]
Abigail!- ♥

I'm Abbalicious!

Barked: Wed Feb 13, '08 7:42pm PST 
It's hard to tell. I can see how you would see a little lhasa in there.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2