GO!

Should I get a boy or a girl dog?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Shelby

I got skunked!- P-ew!

Barked: Thu Jul 5, '07 6:44pm PST 
I'm seeing a lot of threads about the subject. What are the cons of the two, and the pros? ((Note we are not doing a third gender, whatever that is big laugh))

Top 5 Cons Of Females

1. Female dogs do bleed (sort of like a period) until they are spayed. This is only when she comes into heat and around that time.

2 Spaying fees are more expensive than a neutering fee.

3 Females are more sassy, stubborn than males.

4 They have mood swings, a lot like female humans!

5 Female dogs are less affectionate.

Top 5 Cons Of Males

1. You truly /have/ to get them neutered. They will do anything they can to mate, including mating thru kennels and fences. They will be less agressive if neutered.

2 Male dogs are more dominant and they will even test you.

3 You still have that lipstick. big laugh

4 They will mark their territory everwhere, even if it means your poor child or garden

5 Adolescence can last up to three years in male breeds of the larger dogs.

Top 5 Pros Of Females

1. Females are easier to train! Enough said!

2 Females are less distracted.

3 Females are quieter.

4 You won't be in a dominance fight with your female.

5 They learn to be housebroken faster.

Top 5 Pros Of Males

1. More affectionate than females.

2 Male dogs are more reliable.

3 Male dogs are more goofy, clumsy.

4 Male dogs want to please their owner more than females.

5 They are more, "I told you so!"

Please add more cons and pluses.

Edited by author Thu Jul 5, '07 6:45pm PST

[notify]
Zeus

The ledgend- lives on.

Barked: Thu Jul 5, '07 6:49pm PST 
Love this thread, Shelby! cheer

I am a total male dog lover.

But do find it's a lot easier to control and train females!

And because of the male agression/dominance traits, will probably have male dogs until "The Big Kahuna" leaves us.

So, I hope not to have a male dog for a LONG time!
[notify]
Allee Oop!!!

I love my Mommy

Barked: Thu Jul 5, '07 9:07pm PST 
I have personally found in my experience that my female was much easier to house and crate train. It is like she wanted to be cleaner and still does than my boys. She also seems less stubborn and listens more as far as always coming when called, etc. But my girl is more dominant and sometimes can be gripey w/ the boys. It is like she is the boss of them. The boys are so very loving though.
[notify]

Gilbert &- Buster

Wag more, bark- less!

Barked: Thu Jul 5, '07 9:23pm PST 
Gilbert is our first dog and fits the boy pros and cons exactly. He is calm and friendly and listens really well without ever going to obedience class. We have been thinking about rescuing a second dog for him to play with and for companionship when we are at work. Do you suggest a girl or boy?
[notify]
Shelby

I got skunked!- P-ew!

Barked: Thu Jul 5, '07 9:30pm PST 
Since you have a male, I suggest a female. Dogs the same gender are less likely to get along.

Also, if you like this thread, rosettes/bones are appreciated! cheer
[notify]
Joey

Spotted noses- are the next new- trend...

Barked: Thu Jul 5, '07 9:44pm PST 
I like male dogs- they tend to be more motivated and affectionate.big grin

Just my opinion.wink
[notify]
Kaiser - My sweet boy- is gone

The Mister

Barked: Thu Jul 5, '07 10:01pm PST 
Top 5 Cons Of Females

1. Female dogs do bleed (sort of like a period) until they are spayed. This is only when she comes into heat and around that time.

I had Maggie spayed before her first heat so I never had to deal with that.

2 Spaying fees are more expensive than a neutering fee.

True! Maggie was $80 more than Kaiser

3 Females are more sassy, stubborn than males.

We never had that.. I actually find Kaiser more stubborn than Maggie

4 They have mood swings, a lot like female humans!

Maggie has one mood and one mood only.. happy!

5 Female dogs are less affectionate.

Maggie missed the memo on that one. She is just as affectionate possibly even moreso than Kaiser. We also have 3 other females in my immediate family and they are way more affectionate than the boys.

Top 5 Cons Of Males

1. You truly /have/ to get them neutered. They will do anything they can to mate, including mating thru kennels and fences. They will be less agressive if neutered.

I couldn't agree more.. luckily I had Kaiser neutered at 6 months

2 Male dogs are more dominant and they will even test you.

Kaiser is not a dominant dog. He is possibly the most easy going guy I've ever met. He is not dominant with other dogs.. he finds being submissive easier to make friends. About as much as he tests me is limited to seeing how much he can get away with without me noticing. ie.. countersurfing.. BOL!!!

3 You still have that lipstick.

BOL!!! YEP!

4 They will mark their territory everwhere, even if it means your poor child or garden

Kaiser has never marked in the house, on a person or on anything valuable. He will usually pee on a tree or a piece of lawn only after Duke peed on it first.

5 Adolescence can last up to three years in male breeds of the larger dogs.

I guess.. never really noticed. Kaiser has been calm for years.

Top 5 Pros Of Females

1. Females are easier to train! Enough said!

I noticed that, but I just chalked that up to Maggie was my second dog so I was already an experienced dog owner.

2 Females are less distracted.

BOL!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

3 Females are quieter.

True in our case.. Kaiser is a barker while Maggie rarely makes a sound. But if we're talking about my parents' jack russell Rosie.. ummm.. BOL!!!

4 You won't be in a dominance fight with your female.

Maggie pushed limits as a pup, but is now a very very obedient girl

5 They learn to be housebroken faster.

Maggie was already housebroken when I got her. But she was harder to train to pee on a leash than Kaiser was.

Top 5 Pros Of Males

1. More affectionate than females.

Already touched on this one.

2 Male dogs are more reliable.

Maggie is way more reliable than Kaiser.

3 Male dogs are more goofy, clumsy.

BOL!! Not in this house!!! Maggie has knocked over more glasses, coffee mugs, playdates, etc.. etc.. I chalk it up to a tail that never stops wagging.

4 Male dogs want to please their owner more than females.

That's pretty equal here.. they both look at me with those eyes. awww.. melts my heart!

5 They are more, "I told you so!"

BOL!! YEP! Kaiser has that nonplussed look down pat!! BOL!!!
[notify]
Shadow

Cat Corraler

Barked: Thu Jul 5, '07 10:16pm PST 
I personally believe in choose the dog not the gender, in other words ask the breeder about the personality of the puppy, and take some mental observations. Dogs are like people in that fact that their personalities vary. They vary by breed and the unique personality of the dog. I have a male dog and female dog. They both are wonderful pets and competitors. The one thing I can't stand is a sexist pet owner, it's absolutely ridiculous!
[notify]
Rocco

Don't let things- bother you!

Barked: Fri Jul 6, '07 9:08am PST 
This is a hard thread. The two genders just twist into eachother to much because it is so dependant on personalities. As you will see when I compare my babies.
Between Rocco and Kema there are differences. Male/Female
Between Woody and Hershey there are MAJOR differences. Male/Male

Rocco:
Easygoing, lazy, doesn't bark much at all (Kema did the talking), not a care in the word, more dominant towards other dogs (late neuter), independant
Kema:
Nurturing, sweet, protector, athletic, active, always there waiting, sensitive, loved chewies

Hershey:
Active, iron-man, intelligent and smart but can be a negative or postive in training (learns fast but trys to out smart you and be dominant), willing to please if he respects you, barker, loves toys, loves affection at certain time, not crazy about being petted (doesn't care)
Woody:
Baby, great retirement home dog, lap dog, sensitive, laid back, smart not as fast as Hershey but more willing to please if he understands, always there/shadow

They are all a little bit of everything. Everyone is special. There are no deffinate male and female boundaries.
[notify]
Jasmine

Such a Happy- Girl

Barked: Fri Jul 6, '07 9:26am PST 
Sorry, I think too much relies on the actual dog and the breed. Just like in people, gender defines a dog only so much.

Jasmine is loud, affectionate, easily distracted, and took forever to housebreak.

Max was not affectionate nor eager to please, was stubborn. He never had a lipstick. Never marked. Never tried to "dominate" anyone. He was very quiet.

Socks is a mix of everything listed.

The fosters were all also different.

Females also truly have to get spayed. When they are ready to mate, they are ready to mate!!

I've never known a dog that fits exactly into these lists. I hope people do more breed or "type" research than gender research, although I do agree that it is a good idea to look at gender if you already own a dog, or with certain breeds of dogs. But I've had 50/50 boy/girl (2 girls, two boys), majority girl, and all girl. Haven't had a problem yet, all the dogs involved were very well behaved about it all, but not every dog would be. shrug

Edited by author Fri Jul 6, '07 9:27am PST

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4