GO!

Dog Breeds for Couch Potatoes

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Bobby

Bullalicious

Barked: Thu Apr 26, '07 10:18pm PST 
Here is a list of dog breeds perfect for you couch potatoes out there!

Afghan Hound
Anatolian Shepherd Dog
Basset Hound
Bernese Mountain Dog
Black Russian Terrier
Black and Tan Coonhound
Bulldog
Bullmastiff
Chow Chow
Clumber Spaniel
English Toy Spaniel
Great Dane
Great Pyrenees
Greater Swiss Mountain Dog
Greyhound
Irish Wolfhound
Mastiff
Neapolitan Mastiff
Newfoundland
Otterhound
Pekingese
Saint Bernard
Saluki
Scottish Deerhound
Sealyham Terrier
Skye Terrier
Tibetan Mastiff
[notify]
Elsie Mae- Ray

Cherry Angel and- Elsie NUN- furever pals

Barked: Thu Apr 26, '07 10:22pm PST 
Hey you forgot Elsie dogsbig laughbig laugh
[notify]
Talker

Talk of the- Town!

Barked: Thu Apr 26, '07 10:35pm PST 
That's a great response Bobby!
[notify]

Rocky

Got Food?

Barked: Thu Apr 26, '07 10:53pm PST 
I am not familiar with all the breeds on the list, but the ones I knew I agree with. I would think th Papillon would belong there as well, at least the ones I know.
[notify]
♥ RIP- Copper- Beagleswor

My heart belongs- to Duke.

Barked: Thu Apr 26, '07 11:18pm PST 
Senior dogs of most breeds are good for couch potatos too. Adopt a Senior!!!! Yay! smile
[notify]
Grace

Grizzy Grace. <3

Barked: Fri Apr 27, '07 5:18am PST 
I'd take the Bullmastiff off of that list.
They are not couch potatos.
If Grace doesn't get walked twice a day, we're all in big trouble.

Edited by author Fri Apr 27, '07 5:19am PST

[notify]
Baba

I'm going to get- ya

Barked: Fri Apr 27, '07 8:00am PST 
My Great Pyreneese need to be exercised at least for an hour everyday or they keep me awake the whole night by howling and barking. Althought Pyreneese (mine are) are very laid back dogs inside and more active once outside.
I have a mix of anatolian shepherd and if he is not exercised at the very least for an hour every day he paces in the hallway at night and keep us awake by jumping on the bed and getting of every 5 minutes.
Seniors are the best even if I know some that never stop going like crazy I know most of them are laid back and good couch potatoes!
Just wanted to comment!

Edited by author Fri Apr 27, '07 8:01am PST

[notify]
Callie NPC,- DBE, STCH,- LP1, CR

100% pure Love- Sponge Attention- Hound!

Barked: Fri Apr 27, '07 9:24am PST 
I would take most of the terriers off that list too. Don't confuse "small dog" with "lazy dog."
[notify]
Ruby

There is nothing- like a basset- smooch!

Barked: Fri Apr 27, '07 9:58am PST 
Basset Hounds can be quite lazy if you let them be.. but don't. They put weight on too easily and suffer greatly when they do... so I would strongly recommend a couch potato NOT to get a basset hound.
[notify]
Breeze

Barked: Fri Apr 27, '07 10:20am PST 
Actuall the timers are a changing in that many of us breeders are playing with the genes and doing some washing in hope of breeding in more desirable traights and couching is at the top of the list.

So if you see a Border Collie or other such breed that is not normally associated with being a xxxxx or couch potatoe please be advised that you now have choices..just be sure to find a breeder that advertises such improvments or should I say modifications to contemporary characteristics...

For example we still breed border collies at our ranch with the old fashion standards/critera of a more Calm and Collective dispostion to behavior than the modern bred Bc's of today for the most part.

I/we are always amazed at how many border Collies often appear hyper,hard to control, and almost crazed or over animated in thier behavior..

Working Border Collies cannot be allowed to be like this..and should be capable of being somewhat of a couch potato..when not doing what they where bred for..

cheers

I am sorta stuck in the middle..if that is possible..or is this just a issue of BLANCED training,socilization, and management verses breed type characteristics...I am so confused...

cheers

Edited by author Fri Apr 27, '07 10:29am PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4