GO!

farm dog breeds

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  
Harley, SD,- CGC, TDI

Super Service- Boy!

Barked: Sun Mar 25, '07 7:50pm PST 
We just inherited a 40 acre farm with cattle (beefalos). Neither Hershey nor Harley are what I would consider real working dogs. Harley is scared of the cattle and Hershey will case them for kicks, but is through when she is gets tired. We will be needing a good working dog that will do well in the South Mississippi heat. They will also become part of our family, so he/she would be an inside pup when not working. Does anyone have any advice on what breed(s) would work best?
[notify]
Zelda

Demolition Dog

Barked: Sun Mar 25, '07 8:40pm PST 
Australian Cattle Dog. They're actually from Australia (unlike Aussie Shepherds), so they're bred to do well in the heat. ACDs are also very people-oriented and would love to be inside with mom and dad. They love to work, they're smart and easy to train, easy to groom, and love snuggles and kisses.
[notify]
Breeze

Barked: Sun Mar 25, '07 10:50pm PST 
Border collies

Edited by author Sun Mar 25, '07 10:52pm PST

[notify]

Breeze

Barked: Sun Mar 25, '07 10:50pm PST 
Border collies are (generally) the premier herding dogs in all aspects to include top honors in work ethic as they generally seldom quit and unfortunately will work till they drop...maybe not so smart and something you should research.. Smooth coated (tolerates heat better in my experience) Border collies and a choice of structure style for your region and livestock is the key to a perfect working/herding dog and companion. Border collies come in many shapes,heights,colors and styles for a customized approach... sounds like a bad commercial huh? LOL

cheers

Edited by author Sun Mar 25, '07 10:53pm PST

[notify]
Tippy

You can get- anything if you- sit pretty!

Barked: Mon Mar 26, '07 4:53am PST 
I would say cattle dog.
There are TONS of them in rescue and shelters because they are not the "prettiest" dogs (by some peoples standards at least)
I'm pretty sure my Tippy is a cattle dog mix.
[notify]
Arrow

wait for me!

Barked: Mon Mar 26, '07 5:25am PST 
I'd say cattle dog or maybe Canaan (since they're herders too).
I'm also a FarmDog Breed, but it'd be a bit too hot for me there
[notify]
Grace

Grizzy Grace. <3

Barked: Mon Mar 26, '07 5:51am PST 
I'm not sure how they do in the heat, but what about a Bouvier de Flandres? (I had to suggest it! I've always been quite fond of the breed!)
[notify]
Grace

Grizzy Grace. <3

Barked: Mon Mar 26, '07 5:55am PST 
Whoops. Double post. red face

Edited by author Mon Mar 26, '07 5:55am PST

[notify]
Pippin CGC

King- Dingleberry!

Barked: Mon Mar 26, '07 6:34am PST 
Is there a predator problem there?...ie: Wolves, Coyotes, Bears etc?
[notify]
Ein

My Daddy is a- Soldier!

Barked: Mon Mar 26, '07 9:25am PST 
I would say to go with an Austrilian Cattle Dog or a Corgi. Both breeds were breed specifically for cattle herding.

The corgi is short because cows can only kick so low, and their shortness keeps them from really being in danger.

But there are many herding breeds that make great pets as well:

Austrilian Shepherd, German Shepherd, Border Collies, Austrlian Cattle Dogs, Corgis, Rough Collies, Smooth Collies, Bearded Collies, Old English Sheepdogs, Belgian Malinois, Canaan Dog, Bouvier des Flandres, Puli, Shetland Sheepdog.....just to name a few wink
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6