GO!

Moving and thinking of adoption

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

Atticus

Parvo got- nothing on me!

Barked: Thu Dec 14, '06 11:37pm PST 
I will be moving for a new job in Feb, and can imagine my life with out a dog. My three current dogs are family dogs and will stay with my family in the country, I cant stand the idea of taking them from wide open fields to the concrete jungle. So now I am going to begin the process of adopting a new dog. But in all honestly is it ok for a dog to stay home for hours unattended in an apartment (I do plan on having a dog walker come in once a day) while I am at work? And if this is possible what would be a good breed (mix) that would be comfortable in this situation? This is kind of a silly question but I have never tried having a dog in this sort of environment.
[notify]
Monty

Chilly dog!

Barked: Fri Dec 15, '06 1:11am PST 
Any dog that isn't extremely high energy can live happily in an apartment, as long as it gets enough exercise and mental stimulation. If you are an active person and have enough energy to devote to a very active dog (running, biking, agility, flyball, etc), that may work. A lot of apartments do have limits on size, so you might be wise to stick to a breed under 30lbs or so.

I would not recommend getting a puppy, since housetraining will go very slowly (if not backwards!) if you are not home to supervise 100% of the time the dog is not crated, and you really can't expect a young pup to handle being crated for more than an hour or two at a time.

Breed-wise? I'd get the cutest 2-10 year old mutt at the pound, personally. =)
[notify]
Marlowe, CGC

BAH-ROO-ROO-ROOO- OO!!!

Barked: Fri Dec 15, '06 6:59am PST 
Cities can actually be really wonderful places for dogs. There are so many opportunities for socialization, and training becomes so much less optional, and there tend to be so many services for dogs (depending on city of course) that city dogs tend to be quite happy.

If you're going to be living in an apartment, however, there are a lot of things you have to keep in mind. Most apartments have weight and breed restrictions. The weight restrictions really throw a wrench into things because a lot of the larger breeds actually make great apartment dogs because they are low energy. If you are willing to take walks and are going to live near an area that has a safely fenced off-leash park, then the size of your apartment doesn't matter for the size of the dog. Some small dogs are extremely high energy and ping off the walls 24/7 (jack russell terriers), and some large dogs are complete and utter couch potatoes (greyhounds, english mastiffs, great danes).

The other thing you have to worry about is barking. I live in a duplex and when we got a new dog (our older dog is nearly silent) I spent several months trying to get him into a situation in which he wouldn't bark while home alone. He's not naturally a kind of dog that barks at everything or just barks to bark, but he will bark if he's frustrated and it took a lot of tweeking to find a way for him to be home alone and not feel frustrated. If you have a dog who barks a lot and you live in an apartment, there's a high probability that you will either get evicted or animal control will threaten to remove the dog. Cranky neighbors with a lot of time on their hands can raise a pretty huge stink when they're not happy. Unless you have it on good authority that the individual dog is not a barker, I'd avoid the terrier and scenthound breeds.

Also, don't get a puppy. Get a dog that's past adolescence and is comfortably settled into adulthood. Puppies need way more attention than most working people can give them and when you get a puppy it's always a bit of a crapshoot what they're going to grow up and turn in to. A puppy who never barks for the first 6 months of it's life may become a nuisance barker over night as it matures.

Try to adopt an adult dog who has been fostered in a home, so you can get a good report on how they behave when left alone, and whether or not they're a barker.
[notify]

Lenny

Sleep Your Way- Out Of Trouble

Barked: Fri Dec 15, '06 8:04am PST 
Really you should be thinking about an older dog. Preff over the age of 5yrs. It will also need to be a docile, low energy dog. Greyhounds fit very well into appartments as they are very low energy indoors, they also cope well being left long hours, enjoying being able to snooze all day long. There are hundreds of Greyhound adoption groups and tonnes of ex racers in the shelters.
[notify]
Parker

Canine Executive- Officer

Barked: Fri Dec 15, '06 8:51am PST 
Hey Atticus! I'm a downtown Chicago dog- can't get much more urban than that! I don't know what city you're looking at moving to, but big cities like Chicago are incredibly dog friendly. There are lots of parks (offleash and on), stores, and lots of restaurants we can go to in the summer. There's a huge diversity to dogs here, too. I have friends that are pittbulls, bullmastiffs all the way down to cockers and chis. Any dog can adapt to living in the city as long as it gets enough exercise. One of my favorite places to walk is down Michigan avenue- tourists love to take pictures of me and I even get to go shopping. City life isn't bad at all!
[notify]
♥ RIP- Copper- Beagleswor

My heart belongs- to Duke.

Barked: Fri Dec 15, '06 9:00am PST 
I agree with going with an older dog. My sister and I are both older dogs and we live in an apartment. I never bark but when we got Trixie home we found out that even though they said she didn't bark that she did. She is much much better about it now though and doesn't bark unless there is someone at the door. Which is fine with mama and the neighbors. BOL
[notify]
Buddy

Cant wait to Be- a BIG boy!

Barked: Fri Dec 15, '06 9:02am PST 
My neighbor has a border collie/lab mix..and she doesnt UNBELIEVEABLE in an apartment..I have never seen such a well behaved dog!
[notify]
♥- Fiona

born to be- pampered

Barked: Fri Dec 15, '06 10:36am PST 
I would definately go with a small, older dog. Fifi is a chihuahua and doesn't need much exercise. She gets plenty just running around the house. So chihuahuas, dachshunds, pomeranians, poodles, or any mix of small dogs should be fine. If you adopt just make sure your chosen dog is not a barker and a lot of these little guys are... lol.
[notify]
Hershey

I'm sticking my- tongue out at- you!

Barked: Sat Dec 16, '06 8:21am PST 
I agree with the older dog. Ive never lived in an apartment in a big city with a dog, but I have heard of apartments with weight restrictions. Also, smaller dogs can be litter box trained and that may be a plus if you are in an apartment, though not an excuse not to walk. As far as being comfortable in an apartment, We currently live in a FEMA trailer, and both of mine have adjusted just fine. They are 70 and 115 lbs and are inside pups but they also get 3 mile walks everyday and lots of outside ball play. So, with enough exercise, almost any dog would be ok in an apartment.
[notify]