GO!

Merle chihuahuas?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 13)  
1  2  
ANGEL

CB stole my <3

Barked: Thu Dec 14, '06 2:59pm PST 
i read on another website i was looking at puppys and they specialize in merle chihuahuas and it says not to ever breed a merle to a merle.
[notify]
Gio

CD RE (CKC)- RXMCL (CARO) FM- CGN SJATD

Barked: Thu Dec 14, '06 3:08pm PST 
Generally a good practice to follow, yes. But we have to realize that not everything is known about coat color genes. Genetic research into dog coat color has only been happening recently (past 20 years or so). The gene responsible for merle was FIRST described in the beginning of 2006 in a paper written by Clark et al.! We cannot claim to know everything about the gene yet. So yes, it is generally good practice to never breed merle to merle, but the reasoning behind that is not fully understood as of now. If anyone tells you otherwise, they are wrong, plain and simple.
[notify]
♥- Fiona

born to be- pampered

Barked: Fri Dec 15, '06 10:45am PST 
Pugsley, merle is a color. Several different breeds can be merles.
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 13)  
1  2