GO!

What might fit this???

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 26)  
1  2  3  
Bowen

My battle name- is Bowen the- Destroyer.

Barked: Thu Dec 14, '06 6:49am PST 
Yorkies seem to meet your requirement pretty well. (escluding housetraining, hope your moms got lots a free time to work on that!) We get bowen buzzed every summer and then trimmed in the winter. (think of buzz as a slightly longer full body crew cut.) and we never really have a grooming problem with him. He gets mats from running and rubbing on stuff but you can brush or cut those out. If trained properly a yorkie can be pretty mellow. Bo hardly ever gets a walk, but if you toss a squeky for about fifeteen minutes he's pretty much pooped for the night.
[notify]
Katie

I am the- Dreamsicle-you- may kiss my nose

Barked: Thu Dec 14, '06 6:58am PST 
Just a thought-an older Britt. They may need a bit more exercise but they are low shedding (except when they blow the coat-and it still isn't as bad as my cats). Groomers 2-3 tiems a year for a trim. Very smart-they will amaze you with how they pick stuff up. They are good family pets and good with kids. Size, expect 30-40 pounds with females being smaller. Very pretty dogs and health wise they seem to have fewer problems than many breeds. From the list you gave I would say no to a pup-I found that it is more work than I could have guessed and Katie will be the last pup I get, older rescue dogs from now on.

With any dog, socialize and train on a regular basis. Which you know. I would say she might even be interested in adopting a special needs Britt-rescue seems to get those 3 leggers in who bolted in to traffic or strayed from a hunt. My mother has a 3 legged dog and he is a dream, no problems from the leg and no long term ill effects-he is just a little more lovey to her and seems to stick to her more than most dogs would. If her schedule permits the extra time, a special needs Britt might be just the match! Good luck with what ever dog she does find!
[notify]
Grace

Grizzy Grace. <3

Barked: Thu Dec 14, '06 8:58am PST 
What about a Brussels Griffon?

They shed minimally (some go as far as to say they don't shed at all). Get in between 6-15 pounds. In general don't bark. Think they're big bad guard dogs. Do well in obedience (though need to be trained or they can get a bit out of control). Housetrain fairly easily (though you have to teach them to listen toyou). They need to be "trimmed up" from time to time for their grooming, and brushed once or twice a week. Quarky little dogs.

Or an Affenpinsher. These qualities are all Affenpinsher like also.

Edited by author Thu Dec 14, '06 9:00am PST

[notify]

Princess Nya- Cuddles

Just call me- Trouble

Barked: Thu Dec 14, '06 11:38am PST 
Coming in a bit late here, but she might want to consider a schip. Nya only sheds twice a year, granted she REALLY sheds when she blows her coat, but then it's over and done with for another six months. She was a little bit of a barker, but she's really grown out of it. She's a good little watch dog, great with kids of all ages. I take her out for 3 walks a day, but she was fine with my mom taking her out only 1 walk a day as long as she could run in the yard (and the house!). She's a little love bug, loves to be petted, scratched, cuddled. I'm so glad we wound up with her!
[notify]
SIMBA

Young at Heart

Barked: Thu Dec 14, '06 5:06pm PST 
Pugs and Bostons are not very vocal, dont need much exercise, are generally easy to train, minimal shedders and SO CUTE!
[notify]
Shimmer

I can rise to- any standard- that you set.

Barked: Thu Dec 14, '06 5:33pm PST 
Regardless of breeding above average tempered dogs or breeds thier is no guarentee of what you are going to experience if your pack is not up to standards. Your management,training, and socilizing skills will constantly be a reflection or rather set the standard for your dogs behavior regardless of where you acquire it.
A good breeder can only do so much (nature) in making a good choice and properly socializing the pups and it then becomes all up to you as to the behavioral road any dog will follow.
As mentioned by others I agree you need to understand this concept and maybe your search critera will become more focused and less difficult. It is the age old debate of nature verses nurture..
In any event be very careful of what you are led to believe by both breeders and rescue people in these regards as you need to understand the difference.

good luck
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 26)  
1  2  3