GO!

What might fit this???

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Jackie Poo,- NPC

I swear, I- didn't do it

Barked: Tue Dec 12, '06 7:50am PST 
My mother-in-law is looking for a puppy.
Based on her description of what she's looking for I can't think of anything that would fit. If anyone knows of a breed, please let me know so I can show her the way.

Small to medium in size
Not a barker (occasional watchdog barking okay).
Minimal grooming requirement
Only mild shedding
High trainability and obediance.
Easily housebroken
Mellow temperment
Fine with one daily walk for exercise
Protective, guarding instincts
Good with tiny children
Not destructive.
[notify]
Conrad

PLEASE DON'T- LEAVE ME!!!!!

Barked: Tue Dec 12, '06 8:04am PST 
There were a few things on the list that struck me not as breed characteristics but rather dependent on the owner.
[notify]
Otis

"More- Walks....Less- Toys"

Barked: Tue Dec 12, '06 8:12am PST 
My first thought was a Pug....Great little dogs!
[notify]

Sammi

Dog is my- co-pilot

Barked: Tue Dec 12, '06 8:16am PST 
Not to gang up on you.

But a lot of breeders think they can tell you what the temperament of the dog will be, it's BS up to a point. The rest is all training, getting along with kids would be a matter of training. Also house breaking is your job, there is no magic dog that is instant presto house trained. The same with destructiveness it's all training. If you are looking for the perfect dog get one of those robots. Dogs are hard work, they pay you back with love.
[notify]
Jackie Poo,- NPC

I swear, I- didn't do it

Barked: Tue Dec 12, '06 8:24am PST 
Yeah, we know...the owner makes a difference.
but there is always a tendancy in the standard to go on. Like some breeds are known love to shred everything up. Some are known to be more stubborn and harder to train. etc. Some are howlers or barkers, etc.
This would be her first dog. I'm looking for a good relatively easy dog for a beginner.
Please people...I'm not looking to be bashed as someone looking to escape training. If I was the type who wanted to not bother, I would never have gotten my 2.

Edited by author Tue Dec 12, '06 8:33am PST

[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Tue Dec 12, '06 8:30am PST 
I think she needs to start checking rescue groups for young adults. Then you can look for anything, and you'll all ready know it's personality. A puppy is going to go through an energetic, stubborn phase no matter what the breed.

I can't think of anything that would generally fit all of those charateristics - Especially with children. That's just as dependant on the children involved and how the owner manages the situation, as it is the dog itself. The dog would have to be trained into a lot of it.
[notify]
Sammi

Dog is my- co-pilot

Barked: Tue Dec 12, '06 8:39am PST 
Sorry Jackie, we get a lot of people returning dogs due to behavioral problems. Sometimes we get emotional, I see your intentions are honorable.

Boston Terrier sounds like an ideal dog. Some are skittish, but walking in crowded areas when the dog is younger will take care of that. They have shorter hair and generally like children. Little Bostons get alot out walks because they have to pretty much jog to keep up with you.

Again sorry.
[notify]
Gretta

Where's my- Tiara?

Barked: Tue Dec 12, '06 10:26am PST 
I know it doesn't quite meet all of the requirements, but my grooming clients have been thrilled with their French Bulldogs. One of my neighbors friends shows and breeds them, and they might be a good fit. That was the first thing that popped into my head, anyway. Also, you could look at a Papillon or a Japanese Chin--they do have longer hair, but aren't a huge grooming requirement and are pretty content with a slower lifestyle. The ones I know are good with kids who know how to act around dogs.

ETA--I just noticed the "mild shedding" requirement. You're probably going to want to stay away from pugs. They're some of the sheddingist dogs I've ever seen BOL!

Edited by author Tue Dec 12, '06 10:27am PST

Xena

Xena Puggle:- Curtain Slayer!

Barked: Tue Dec 12, '06 10:41am PST 
I agree with Gretta about pugs--they shed a lot and tend to be very stubborn and difficult to train and housebreak. Of course there are exceptions, but as a breed, that is how they tend to be... They also require a bit of maintenance in terms of washing/cleaning the wrinkles.
[notify]
Rocky

Got Food?

Barked: Tue Dec 12, '06 11:05am PST 
Wow. That list is quite demanding. I also had a similar one, but realized myself that when adopting a puppy it would be somewhat of a gamble.

Two breeds that I found that match most of those criteria are the Tibetan Spaniel (9-15 pounds), and the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel(11-18 pounds but I've seen some bigger). The Tibbie has a double coat but is still considered a moderate shedder as its coat is medium length most places. They shed less than most of the double coated shorter haired dogs.

The Cavalier has a single coat and is a mild shedder. Cavaliers are loyal and hang on every word, so are easy to train, but as well, they are velcro dogs and will seek out your lap all the time. There are also A LOT of health issues in the breed, so please be aware and find a good breeder if you decide on one.

Tibbie's are a little stubborn about training (especially coming when called), but are fairly easy to housetrain as they love to be neat, and like their routines. They are steadfast, curious, fearless dogs, and therefore fine with rambunctious kids. The kids, however, have to be careful as they do with any smaller dog. Tibetan Spaniels are a very healthy breed.

Both breeds tend to reserve their barking, but will bark at strangers. Both breeds are known to be mellow and laid back, and very friendly (a poorly bred Cavalier can be nervous though). Both breeds should be walked at least once daily to get their "zoomies" out, but will self exercise around the house as well. Both mine require a brushing behind their ears once a week to prevent mats. The rest of their body needs a brushing only occasionally. My Cavalier has more energy than my Tibbie/Cavalier mix. They're not great guarders. They watch and bark, with tails wagging the whole time, so they do not meet that requirement.

I have a Cavalier, and a Cavalier/Tibetan Spaniel mix, both not quite a year old, and they both meet their breed descriptions exactly. We have gone through many stages of puppyhood with very little destruction and housetraining was quite easy. I put effort in, and maybe I lucked out.

I agree with some of the above posts that you can find many older, already settled dogs, with this temperament, and it would be less of a gamble to find a rescue dog where the temperament is already known. I guess it depends on what is available where your aunt lives.

Edited by author Tue Dec 12, '06 11:12am PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3