GO!

Brussels Griffons

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2  
Chester

I'm the- Prince of- Fluffyness!

Barked: Thu Dec 14, '06 5:07am PST 
HeHe, Bo! Ever since seeing that movie, mom has a little crush on Brussels, too! puppy
[notify]
Grace

Grizzy Grace. <3

Barked: Thu Dec 14, '06 7:35am PST 
I recently heard they can be spiteful bitter little souls.

Like, if they get scolded and don't like it, that they have no issue with going and pooping on your bed just to get back at you. (Which in a way makes me laugh.)

Anybody hear of this? I guess they have minds of thier own!
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Thu Dec 14, '06 9:00am PST 
Yeah, but I know a lot of dogs who do that. Including Vance. I never really thought of it as a breed-specific trait, but I can see how it could be. Huskies are certainly more predisposed to it than say, a Lab.

I think it may be good to consider that in scientific terms, dogs cannot be spiteful and don't have the brain power to calculate revenge. They simply react to stress in their life. I believe science downplays it a little too much, and the truth lies somewhere in the middle... But I know people who are strictly on one side of the fence or the other. It's a personal opinion, but I think it will strongly affect how a person lives with a dog who has a tendancy to appear or be spiteful.

Edited by author Thu Dec 14, '06 9:05am PST

[notify]

Grace

Grizzy Grace. <3

Barked: Thu Dec 14, '06 9:15am PST 
You're right---but in my eyes (and I know they don't think this way) it's revenge. (Plus it's cuter to think that they have the capacity to be that way.)

Anytime my Mom's Shih Tzu is left in the car while they go inside for just a second or two to get bread or something from the grocery store---they come back to a surprise. I thought it was really funny until one day she was with me, and pooped in my driver's seat while I was inside and I came back to get into the car, and sat in it.
[notify]
Sofia

Soafie Loafie

Barked: Thu Dec 14, '06 9:35am PST 
Mom also loves Brussels Griffons. She also has a new found love for Affenpinschers. Jelly is an Affenpinscher. (and Westies, of course!)
[notify]
Grace

Grizzy Grace. <3

Barked: Thu Dec 14, '06 9:54am PST 
Sofia-
Mom REALLY likes them too! They were on the cover of last month's AKC Gazette and Mom fell in LOVE with them! They remind her a lot of Brussels. They're on her list of dogs to own along with the Brussels and French Bulldog.
[notify]
Jelly

The world- belongs to me!

Barked: Fri Dec 15, '06 4:56pm PST 
My Mommy too really likes Brussels Griffons! There is lots of similiarities between Griffons and Affies and for a good reason. The Affenpinscher is behind the breeding of the Griffons just like we are behind the breeding of the Miniature Schnauzer. My Mommy bred and showed Miniature Schnauzer for a number of years and this is what got her interested in Affenpinschers. Miniature Schnauzers were developed by breeding affenpinschers to small Standard Schnauzers. At that time affies were bigger, more the size of a Miniature Schnauzer. We were bred to be ratters in stables and we were so good at that job that we were invited into the kitchens to do ratting. At the time women wore long skirts and they had concerns about mice and since we were cute we were then invited into the parlours to get rid of mice. From there we were down sized to be cute pets. I am very feisty and I have a terrier temperment and in fact our breed is called the monkey terrier. I am just full of attitude and I am a big dog in a little body.

Jelly's Mommy:

Jelly is my first affenpinscher and I had wanted one for over 20 years but the time was never right. Jelly has exceeded all my expectations of what owning an affenpinscher would be like and I started with high expectations. There is nothing whimpy about this dog. She is full of confidence and sure of herself. She thinks she is a big dog. She can walk for miles and she is just full of energy. She plays and plays all day with her toys. I have been showing her in confirmation and she is a joy to show. She has also been to obedience classes and has done well there and is very smart. Some things I read say they are hard to house break. It took awhile but I found that once I taught her to ring bells to go outside everything went well. If I had to pick something that is negative I would say that they are a breed that needs lots of socialization. I was warned about this from the breeder and I have even read articles where it states that the affenpinscher is the hardest breed to socialize. I have had no problems but I have also been very active socializing all the time. She is regularly in classes, goes to dog shows and I take her everywhere that I can. I don't regret one moment having bought an affie.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2