GO!

I just hate it

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Mika MADC,- MJDC,- AG.N.J.,- A.G.

My mom\\\'s- heart dog

Barked: Sat Dec 2, '06 4:27pm PST 
(Mika's mom writing)

Wasn't sure which forum to write this post in...

Today while I was in the mall, I passed by the pet shop. Usually I stay away from pet shops like these that sell puppies, but today I saw a couple standing in front of the puppies and talking to a woman who worked in the pet shop. I couldn't resist, and walked in.

As I approached them, the woman asked if they had any male labs. The woman who worked there (who shall be known as Ann, to make life simpler) disappeared into the 'back room', and soon came out with a little yellow lab pup. The couple began crooning over it and petting it, as I fought the urge to say something. Ann talked to them about how beautiful he would be when he was older, and how good he was with his littermates. "Well, what do you think?" the woman asked her husband.

"I've heard that a lot of puppies from pet stores get genetic problems," I suddenly broke in.

"But you can just go to the vet and have them checked out," the woman said.

"It usually don't come up until the puppies are older," I said.

"We have a 1-year guarantee," Ann said, staring at me with a cold, cold look.

"Most of the time the problems come up when the puppies are older than that," was my reply.

Ann didn't say anything.

"Well, I don't know," the woman said to her husband. "He is really cute!" She turned to Ann. "We were thinking of getting a smaller dog, and his paws look pretty big," she said.

"Well, who knows, he might be small," Ann replied with a bright smile.

WHAT!?!

Luckily, the woman didn't believe it. "Labs get pretty big!" she laughed. The couple then decided to go, with talk of coming back later in the week to look at the smaller pups.

I feel like I didn't do enough. Now they might go back and get a smaller pup, and what I said today wouldn't make a difference at all.

I hate it. I just HATE it.
[notify]
Ginger DSA- ThD TT CGC - &hearts

My Angel

Barked: Sat Dec 2, '06 5:06pm PST 
I know how you feel!
I went to a pet shop once with a friend of mine (long time ago...) We were looking at some puppies with her father-- just looking by the way, she wasn't buying one-- when one of the employees came up and her father asked how big the puppies would get. The employee said not very big. They were GERMAN SHEPHERD/MASTIFF MIXES!

I hate it when I find out after the fact that friends of mine got puppies from pet stores, too late to say anything at that point... One of them lucked out though, ended up with a big sweet yellow Lab who amazing has been healthy and has not even shown any behavior problems due to being an unneutered male (which I keep telling them it's healthier to neuter him...)
Another one sadly was not so lucky. She bought a dog that they told her was an "English Shepherd" but as he grew up it was obviously not even close, he was totally black with short fur, point ears like a Chow and looked nothing like an English Shepherd. Then when he was just a few years old he developed cancer and ultimately had to be put to sleep frown
[notify]
Rocky

Got Food?

Barked: Sat Dec 2, '06 5:21pm PST 
I've had the same experience with a co-worker who decided to find a pup - a christmas present to herself two years ago. She found out that she would have to go on a fairly long waiting list at a decent breeders and couldn't handle that idea. She hated their questions, thought they were too probing, and complained at work about them. There were more than a couple of us who tried to talk her into not going to the pet store. Of course, she did anyway. Her dog is fine, but then it is only two. It is hard to sit and have coffee with someone who makes those decisions when they know better.
[notify]

♣Koda&- clubs;

I can tell that- we are gonna be- friends!

Barked: Sat Dec 2, '06 5:22pm PST 
I hear ya. There is a pet store at our local mall and I kick myself every time I go in there because Im practically crying when I leave. I look at those puppies and my heart aches. Many of them are coughing, alone, crying, and many are without bedding in their tiny, wire cages. I look at them and see their sad eyes looking back at me, DONT BUY FROM PETSTORES!!
[notify]
Hershey

Let's play!!!

Barked: Sat Dec 2, '06 6:15pm PST 
I know how you feel. I wish I could say more but they would probably think or say "what is someone younger than us telling us what to do. How would she know anything." I wish I could announce to everyone in there where they are from.
[notify]
Sammi

Dog is my- co-pilot

Barked: Sat Dec 2, '06 6:36pm PST 
According to the pet store where we got Sammi, she is a lab/shep mix, I have never seen a lab with a jaw like hers or the squared shoulders, nor any sheps we met either. Pet stores will say anything to sell a dog. Sammi is an pawesome dog, but we found out that she was a month older than they said and she could barely walk, SHE NEVER LEARNED TO WALK!!!. She had anemia, she had green stuff coming out of her lower regions, and she was sold to us after the BSL grandfather clause (people were afraid of her and It took me awhile to figure out why...silly humans). There were 5 pups there, two died of parvo, the other two ended up at the humane society (apparently they were too hyper for the people who bought them), and Sammi cost us over $1600 in vet bills at a discount Vets. We will not buy pet food from a pet store that sells cats or dogs, for the simple fact that they only care about money and not the welfare of the dogs and cats. And it doesn't make me feel any better that they will give you a new puppy if yours dies, that is shamefull, we could never replace our pup pals.
[notify]
Good Girl

Barked: Sat Dec 2, '06 7:28pm PST 
Next time hand them a card with info on your local shelter or breed rescue group smile
[notify]
Callie NPC,- DBE, STCH,- LP1, CR

100% pure Love- Sponge Attention- Hound!

Barked: Sat Dec 2, '06 8:06pm PST 
Callie's mom here.
Half the time the pet store employees don't know what they're selling, either. I went to a family reunion on a farm in Ohio two summers ago, and the resident dog was a gorgeous, outgoing mix that I could see clearly had some Staffie or bulldog blood. I asked her owner what breed she was. He said, "The pet store owner said she was a Lab and boxer mix." I looked at her again - stocky body, short legs, powerful jaws, triangular head - and wondered exactly how drunk the pet store owner was when he said that! Lab, maybe - she had something of the Lab about her head. But not exclusively a Lab X boxer mix, unless I'm a rabbit!
[notify]
Berry Bubba- Gump

Last ofthe- famous- international- playboys

Barked: Sat Dec 2, '06 8:21pm PST 
Part love sponge part rabbit?
[notify]
Mika MADC,- MJDC,- AG.N.J.,- A.G.

My mom\\\'s- heart dog

Barked: Sun Dec 3, '06 4:05am PST 
The lab puppy that 'Ann' brought out had blue eyes. Ann said that it was 'rare' to have a lab with blue eyes. Well, that's because they're not supposed to have blue eyes!!

The pet shop was starting with designer pups too. They had 'Pugapoos' (Pug/Poodle) and 'Chi-Chis' (Chihuahua/Chinese Crested). These were $2000! Just regular mutts, for 2000 bucks!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2