GO!

Standard poodles

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

Jasmine

Makes Puppy- Faces To Get- Food

Barked: Sat Dec 2, '06 9:34am PST 
hey can everyone give me all the info they know about keeping a standard poodle?

thanks!!!
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Sun Dec 3, '06 1:02am PST 
They are not the easiest dogs out there... They absolutly need training and early socializing. They're incredibly smart and can be very active. Most are at least aloof, many are outright shy or fearful. When pushed too far, made to do something, or just in a situation they generally don't like, they tend to resort to snapping. Once they've bonded with someone they're extremely devoted and protective. All that combined can make for a fabulous pet, or a huge liability (or both).
[notify]
Snowy

A Doggie Scholar

Barked: Sun Dec 3, '06 1:20am PST 
While I'm only a miniature poodle, I can tell you that one thing that sets the poodles apart from other dogs is the grooming needs. I am a dust/odor magnet. People ask us why I get bathed so often - well I sorta need it. I can go out and play with other dogs for half an hour and I'll be the only dog that leaves the playground dusty and stinky. Other dogs still smell like their last bath.

Without the frequent brushing and conditioning, we get mats really easily too. A part of the reason why I have this funky haircut is also for practicality. All the dirt magnet/tangle prone spots are shaved off (around the joints, the legs, and the behind).

I also grow about an inch of hair every month. This means.. if I don't get trimmed at least every 8 weeks, it REALLY shows.

But you know.. you get used to it. The grooming thing isn't all that bad. I also think that you get this special kind of bond through grooming... you connect more with your dog I guess. I've also heard of people with shedding dogs who say, "Well, you spend all that time grooming, I spend all that time picking up dog hair from everywhere.. so we're even"

Poodles are also very attached to humans... to the point of... well, some of us are mistaken for being too "clingy." It's not completely out of the norm for poodles to love humans more than they love dogs. I like the idea that I'm part of my human pack, and I try to imitate my parents (I try to join their conversations, I try to use the pillows and the blankets like the way they do, etc).

We are also problem solvers. This can be cute or it can also get pretty ugly. I'm always trying to figure things out. If mommie is in one room, and the door is closed, I circle around the area to figure out if there are other openings that will allow me to access her. At the same time, when I meet a new human, I'm very quick to wonder if that human is my alpha or my omega.... so after a brief introduction, I try to test them. I can be an angel or a brat to them depending on whether I respect them or not... BOL.

Edited by author Sun Dec 3, '06 4:35am PST

[notify]

Roxie, NPC

I'm a poodle! - Got a problem- with that??

Barked: Sun Dec 3, '06 7:43am PST 
Hey there! Mommy says time and time again, she would recommend a standard poodle to anyone. I am her first standard and besides my sister (who is half poodle), she would probably never get another breed. Good points: Poodles are very high on the smarts list. Roxie was in puppy kindergarten and picked up the basic obedience very well and was house broken completely in 3 weeks. They are very loyal and need their people. This means crate training might be tricky because she was very un happy in the crate, so we just blocked her with a baby gate in teh hallway and as long as she could see us she was fine. She loves other dogs and loves children. They are also marshmellows so dicipline is very easy all I have to do is raise my voice and she knows she has been bad. Plus, I love the non-sheding breed! They are good guard dogs and she barks like a big dog when someone is comming to the door! ( home alone at night so I wanted that). Contrary to popular belief, the standard is not a push over. At the dog park, Roxie keeps up with the german shephards and rotties just fine. On the bad side, grooming is very tough. You have to brush every day, and unless you know how, get them professionally groomed every 6-7 weeks or so. Roxie is a bit high strung and it did take some patience to get the nipping to stop and the jumping but she is ball of energy and plays fetch and everythning. Her sister from what I hear is very laid back and docile, so that it is more dog to dog and not breed specific. I hope I have given you a bit to go on. Send me a message anytime if you want more info!. Oh, forgot if you are getting from a breeder watch the hips, poodles (like alot of breeds) have hip issues sometimes.
[notify]
Jasmine

Makes Puppy- Faces To Get- Food

Barked: Wed Dec 6, '06 2:08pm PST 
thanks everyone!!
ok so how do i groom them [like which brushes]?
how much exercise is too much? too little?
are they sensitive to temperature extremes?
any other info on care and such??
much appreciated!!!
[notify]
Gretta

Where's my- Tiara?

Barked: Wed Dec 6, '06 2:23pm PST 
Here's something we can answer--the grooming needs smile.

For a poodle, you're going to want a decent-sized arsenal of grooming implements, depending on the length/style you want on the coat.

I would recommend a slicker brush, a pin brush, a greyhound comb, and a poodle comb. I would also recommend a table of some sort, but that's not a dire necessity for all owners (it does make things easier, though!). Then the very first thing I'd do is go to a professional groomer and ask for a hands-on demonstration, as well as specific brush recommendations. I personally love the Chris Christenson line of brushes, but everyone has their preferences. Brushing is a lot more difficult than it sounds, and nothing beats seeing it done firsthand. For some reason, learning to brush doesn't really translate well from written word to actual process. A good groomer will be able to demonstrate the techniques and coach you on yours smile.
SIMBA

Young at Heart

Barked: Mon Dec 11, '06 10:25am PST 
Theres no such thing as too much exercise!!!

We do not resort to snapping, and are not fearful or shy. Those sort of problems arise from poor/no socialization, or bad breeding. Simba has been nothing but sweet and loving, he was SO tolerant of us when we were kids (we got him when I was 6 and my sister was 3). He has never bitten a person, only birds. He is sooo calm and inactive when he is inside. Outside, he is full of energy (even at the ripe old age of 13) and is a wonderful jogging, snowshoeing or walking buddy. If he doesnt like a dog (in his old age he prefers to be with people not dogs) he simply avoids them. His grooming costs us about 100 dollars every month and a half or so. He gets lots of burrs and things stuck in him. Once I found an earthworm in his fur. He can be protective, but not in an aggressive way. He will put himself between us and the threat. When we leave, he lays in front of the door until we get back. He is always watching us to make sure we are ok. But he never follows us around. He is very quirky, but not aloof. One of the best things about poodles is that they live quite long, and stay puppy-like until an older age.
[notify]
Shimmer

I can rise to- any standard- that you set.

Barked: Mon Dec 11, '06 10:38am PST 
I agree! LOL grooming,groomimg,grooming... As far as training and behavioral issues the Standards that I have trained (came with issues) behaved quite nicely afterwards to include the ones trained for service dogs. It can be a beneficial to get a well bred/well socialized dog from a breeder or one that has been managed/trained from a rescue if you are of the opinion that this breed has behavorial issues that concern you (regardless of breed) and I might add that Ear infections can be an issue if not kept trimmed...

Good luck
[notify]
Roxie, NPC

I'm a poodle! - Got a problem- with that??

Barked: Wed Dec 13, '06 5:57pm PST 
hey there.. well.. exercise tends to be moderate .. roxie is a very energetic puppy and needs daily exercise but some poodles are more laid back and are ok with short walks. Poodles as far as I know are fine in the snow and heat as long at they are not left outside for lengthy periods of time. I have roxie's feet shaved now so snow does not clump between her pads but it is your choice. I myself are still learning about grooming so i think the previous post would be benifical to read. I said earlier that poodles are people dogs and don't like being left out of family activities... so I could not crate train her but she was house broken farily quickly.
Grooming every 6 weeks or so is good (if u are not doing it yourself). They are also "marshmellows" for lack of a better term and when training you dont really have to do more than raise your voice when you are dis-pleased with something they are doing (their feelings get hurt). They want to please their people
[notify]