GO!

What breed for a house full of cats?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  
Grace

Grizzy Grace. <3

Barked: Fri Dec 1, '06 6:21am PST 
My co-worker just lost her 12 year old English Cocker to a lung cancer on Wednesday.

She is an older gal (65), and her husband is going through chemotherapy right now for (I believe) lung cancer also.

They collectivley have 7 cats that all live in their house. All are individuals and many have health problems. One has anxiety issues and is very scared, one has severe asthma, one is overly confident and trys to beat up anything in his way. I could go on.

She is looking in the shelters, but wants to know in general what breeds do best with cats. (I have no idea, as I've never had a cat.) We were thinking Pomeranian? Dachshund? Llhasa? She doesn't want anything too big. Any advice? (She will probably get a mix, but depending on the "primary breed" it would be nice to know.)
[notify]
Riley

Too smart for my- own good!

Barked: Fri Dec 1, '06 7:01am PST 
No idea what works best... it depends so much on the individual animal. But speaking in general terms I would avoid herding breeds as well as some breeds used as hunting dogs. From what I've seen those can be the worst with cats. Also maybe avoid some terriers that were meant to be varmit dogs.

My neighbors dachshund does very well with his cat.
Rosalita Lola "Rosie"

Love is never- being told you'- naughty!

Barked: Fri Dec 1, '06 7:24am PST 
Chihuahuas!!! Chihuahuas!!!! Chihuahuas!!!! We love kitties. I don't know of a chi here that doesn't love kitties!
[notify]

Tippy

You can get- anything if you- sit pretty!

Barked: Fri Dec 1, '06 7:31am PST 
I probably wouldn't go with a dachshund unless I already knew that it was good with cats.
Since they are hounds, and terriers are in the same boat.
That being said, we have a foster home that has several cats so she takes one foster dog in at a time.
She has had poodles, Chi's, Rat terriers, Shih-Tzu's and Yorkies and they were all fine with the cats.
However she does take the more laid back older dogs so i'm sure that has something to do with it.
I guess it just depends on the dog.
But my pick would be a Chihuahua since they are so cat like anywaysmile
[notify]
♥- Fiona

born to be- pampered

Barked: Fri Dec 1, '06 8:29am PST 
Fifi is my first chihuahua and she does great with cats! Better than any other breed we've ever had. She doesn't chase them at all... guess because she knows they are bigger than she is!
[notify]
Missie

Teeth kisses for- everyone!

Barked: Fri Dec 1, '06 9:56am PST 
I would always recommend any of the companion spaniels, as they are known to get along very well with other pets and love people. These dogs are not related at all to hunting spaniels, but have been bred strictly for companionship. My favorite are the Cavalier King Charles, the Tibetan Spaniel and the Papillon, but I think the English Toy Spaniel, the Japanese Chin, and the Pekingnese also fit into this group.

This little girl in Texas needs adopting, but I don't know if they would let her go all the way to Kansas. POUND SWEETY

P.S. I love your new snowman collar!
[notify]
----Jordan--- --

Sweet & gentle- rabble rouser

Barked: Fri Dec 1, '06 10:24am PST 
The King Charles? That's what I'd recommend for mellowness with both cats and kids. Step over the terriers unless you're getting one as a puppy and can tell they have an untypical mellow disposition. In the shelters terriers can con people with their cute faces -- but behind many of them is a strong prey drive. Twitching tails around may set them off.
[notify]
Sisqo

It's all about- me!

Barked: Fri Dec 1, '06 10:25am PST 
Sisqo does great with the cats. He's a mix of cocker and miniature poodle. I also heard terriers and doxies have a high prey drive.
[notify]
Lacey Luv

See me, Love me

Barked: Fri Dec 1, '06 11:12am PST 
If she is looking in a shelter, they usually have a little history on the rescues. Many are good with cats. Good luck to your friend!!
[notify]
Taco

I LOVE water!!!

Barked: Fri Dec 1, '06 11:21am PST 
Very hard to tell Grace!
I have 8 cats at home and no problems with any dog. I have border Collie, Shep mix, great pyreneese and a pyr border collie cross. The only one to bother the cats a little bit is the the 7 mo old pup and its only because he's trying to be friends with them by sniffing them a little bit rough and he follows them everywhere to see what they are doing!!! He's a BC shep mix.
I know of a girls who owns some mini Doxies and she have about 6-8 cats and they do just fine with them. I think that a spaniel, a bigger dog like shep or golden mis can be good.
I would say to try to avoid husky and related breed but there's no rule of a thumb about that.
Just a note about my BC. She was allowed with the baby cats when the kitties were 1 week old and nothing ever happen with the 2.
I think a older dog can be a safer choice and they are more relaxed in most case.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6