GO!

This is my rant

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 5 of 5: Viewing entries 41 to 46)  
1  2  3  4  5  
Rat Terrier - Adopt me!

Ban the gas- chamber!

Barked: Mon Nov 13, '06 6:07pm PST 
Actually, I have said on more than one occasion that some people should not have children. And since I am not interested in birthing children of my own, I have considered fostering a child, regardless of race, in the future. It's just that rescue takes up so much time these days. When we reach a point that responsible pet ownership is the majority, then maybe there will be time. :0)

TAT
[notify]
Daisy - R.I.P.

Good Morning- Beautiful.

Barked: Mon Nov 13, '06 6:34pm PST 
One can hope there Rat
[notify]
Lacey Luv

See me, Love me

Barked: Tue Nov 14, '06 4:11am PST 
Breeding is such a touchy subject, I wish that there was a way to eliminate all bybs. I have heard of instances where the breeder registers a litter with AKC or APRI using dogs that were not the parents of the puppies just to get the registration forms. People think that just because the puppy is "registered" all is well. This is why it is crucial to know where the puppies come from, do site visits and contact the breeder and ask questions. A good breeder will answer them and invite home visits. A good breeder will also want to educate on the breed. I have turned down so many people who wanted a Cocker Spaniel, but were not ready to have this breed. Ask to see the health certs, ask to see the parents, ask for vet references and for names of those who have puppies from past litters. Put the irresponsible breeders out of business!! I have seen the results of bad breeding in Cocker Spaniels and it is awful. Health and temperament issues that ruined this breed in the past. Sorry to rant on but it is a subject close to home with me.
[notify]

Shimmer

I can rise to- any standard- that you set.

Barked: Tue Nov 14, '06 6:38am PST 
"Also some people that want to breed their dog, I think as long as they aren't breeding for fighting purposes, or profit. And are responsible about it! Offer advice, what to do, what not to do. What to expect. All that! Not just "Don't do it" "

I think a good question to ask and more importantly to understand is EXACTLY what is it that defines a responsible breeder. If a responsible breeder is someone who who only breeds with the goal of improving the breed then it what would be the critera in a list that would justify adding to the population.
Should only dogs with only above average attributes from health,temperment, and abilities be bred to serve this goal ?
Should we also refrain from breeding certain breeds that have obvious inherient health issue for example breathing problems,problems with eating, or possibly problems with environmental tolerances?
I wonder what we could agree on as far as a list of what justifable responsible breeding IS.. I have never seen a list that I would totally agree with..
just a thought..
bob
[notify]
Lacey Luv

See me, Love me

Barked: Tue Nov 14, '06 8:55am PST 
How about this to start
1) Dedicated to the breed of choice
2) only breeding those dogs that adhere to the breed standards and that are free of health defects
3) Being selective in placing puppies with new owners
4) Being involved in other aspects of the breed such as rescue, showing, agility etc
5) Having all of the breeding dogs certified for hips, eyes and any breed specific ailments
6) Willing to have puppy returned if there is ever a problem with ownership
Just a start
[notify]
Livingston

Now, where\'s my- laudanum?

Barked: Sun Dec 17, '06 9:41pm PST 
Without being disrespectful I can't really agree that this is a legitimate comparison.

No one is having human children for profit or to teach existing children about the "miracle of life" or to create a trendy "designer" person. (Childipoo?)

I don't think most people who strongly advocate pet adoption condemn others who are sincerely interested in purchasing purebred puppies from ethical breeders. Although I wouldn't chose to buy a puppy because I know I'm never going to get into showing for conformation or anything like that I don't have a problem with someone else choosing to buy a puppy from a GOOD breeder.

I do have a problem with people who don't even consider adoption because they have unfortunate misconceptions about shelter/rescue dogs or haven't done their homework and want the instant gratification of walking into a mall petstore and walking out with a puppy, no questions asked. (The solution to that sort of thing, of course, is education--polite education, not haranguin'.)

I really don't get the connection between pet adoption and human adoption, though. And I certainly don't think that "advocating pet adoption" and "feeling compassion for homeless children" are mutually exclusive sentiments! (Although for me, personally, if I were to have a kid I like the idea of adopting rather than birthin' it myself. But that's very hypothetical.)
[notify]
  (Page 5 of 5: Viewing entries 41 to 46)  
1  2  3  4  5