GO!

This is my rant

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  
Alvin

Barked: Sat Nov 11, '06 8:23pm PST 
*sighs* Alright, just to let everypup know I am an adoptable dog and in no way against rescue dogs or anything. But There's just a little thing I'd like to touch on with the whole adoption thing.

Now I've seen almost everypup here who want to breed their dog be turned against it by a lot of the other pups here. Because as we all know "there are already a lot of pups in rescues and shelters in need of homes"
But there are also a lot of human kids in need of homes too. And I see a resemblance between humans and dogs in this aspect.
A lot of human kids are put up for adoption and neevr adopted because:
>>They are of mixed race
>>They were born with seevre medical problems
>> They have neurelogical problems (Dyslexia, Autism)
>>Bad personalities (bad past)

Dogs:
>>Mixed breeds
>>Medical Problems
>>Agression
>>Training issues.

A lot of people are up for adoption and does anyone mention that to other humans? "No you two shouldn't have a baby because there are a lot of unwanted kids in the world" Maybe a few but not nearly as many that mention dogs.

And yes I agree that rescuing is a great and wonderful thing, but some people aren't willing to put up wuth the challenge of an "unwanted dog" much like the "unwanted children"

Also some people that want to breed their dog, I think as long as they aren't breeding for fighting purposes, or profit. And are responsible about it! Offer advice, what to do, what not to do. What to expect. All that! Not just "Don't do it"

I know, it's late, a lot of that probably wont make sense..but still I hope a few of you can get the message at least
[notify]
Zoey

Better than I- was

Barked: Sat Nov 11, '06 8:29pm PST 
My She when she was married (isn't any more), told her then husband they could have a child of their own, but then wanted to adopt as well. At the time they had my bro, a mixed breed and his brother a purebred. BOL.
I agree with you, if someone's going to breed, give help, not hurt. As long as the dogs are healthy and checked out. And yes, I haven't heard of too many people saying don't have your own children unless you adopt a few.
[notify]
Alvin

Barked: Sat Nov 11, '06 8:32pm PST 
Thanks Zoey! I was scared there for a minute that I might have started something and it was too late to edit!
But just to make the record clear, I am not trying to start a huge arguement that will inevetiably get closed by HQ, just trying to get a point across
[notify]

Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Sat Nov 11, '06 8:56pm PST 
When millions of children are being euthanized each year, lemme know. I'll adopt some of 'em.
[notify]
Alvin

Barked: Sat Nov 11, '06 9:04pm PST 
Euthanized? No, they face a much harder fate. Orphanages in Haiti for example, lack of funding means lack of supplies, over crowded, hot.
I think some of these kids would be willing to face euthanasia instead of starving to death, or becoming a victim of AIDS
[notify]
Shari's- Apricot- Brandy

Baby, I need- some lovin'!

Barked: Sat Nov 11, '06 9:04pm PST 
Alvin, my mommy and I think you are right. The comparison may not be the best between humans and animals, but what you are saying is right. Rescue dogs are great - Moe (my brother) was a rescue, but he has his own issues too. Just because I was adopted from a breeder does not make me any less of a dog!

And for those that don't think that human babies are being killed, they may not be euthanized like animals, but remember the thousands and millions of children that are dying due to starvation or AIDS in underdeveloped nations.
[notify]
(In MEMORY) Tigger

Barked: Sat Nov 11, '06 9:15pm PST 
Alvin ---

Good Post!

You brought several important points forward...
However, as was pointed out, children do not typically face being "put down" for lack of homes. I do like the comparision points that you brought forward... very interesting.

You Wrote:

"Also some people that want to breed their dog, I think as long as they aren't breeding for fighting purposes, or profit. And are responsible about it! Offer advice, what to do, what not to do. What to expect. All that! Not just "Don't do it" "

Everytime some becomes a backyard breeder, another mixed breed puppy dies in a shelter somewhere. Backyard breeders who breed their dogs just because they want another "Buddy" or "Charlie" are just as bad as people who breed for profit.

You said to offer advice as to "What Not To Do" --- well my discussion about not breeding a MUTT in another thread was an answer of "What Not To Do"

I believe that the reaction to potential backyard breeders would be at least slightly more positive if they can any indication in their post that they knew what they were talking about...

Just my Two Cents
[notify]
J P

A DOG is for- LIFE.

Barked: Sat Nov 11, '06 9:16pm PST 
Alvin you make a wonderful point. I do understand those who work in rescue and advise against breeding in any kind of an irresponsible way, but I do not see breeders as all bad as some seem to. I believe that we have to trust that at least some people are legitimately trying to breed and place the right way, and these people do provide a valid service for those who for differing reasons are not going to rescue.

In the northern part of our continent small and even medium dogs are very hard to find in rescue. Do we discourage people from breeding here? (And I am talking about responsible breeding with health testing etc.) I believe when we do that we are leaving the doors wide open for the bulk breeders to market their pups. The waiting list I was on for my Cavalier was over two years. The wait is similar for many of the small breeds here from a good breeder . . . if you can find one. Are many people willing to wait like this? I know they are not, and they are going to the bulk breeders and pet stores for their small dogs. I have been very happy to find out that small dogs are now being imported here by Furever After Rescue, but that still is not going to stop those who just won't rescue or who are turned down by rescue.

I do encourage rescue, and believe all of us need to continue to, but
if there are people who have the resources, knowledge and time to breed properly, and who are willing to vigilently screen and advise their customers we need to support them. Too often I see on these forums broad sweeping statements that chastise all breeders. We just had a thread that lumped "designer" breeders altogether. I can't do this.

It is irresponsible breeders, bulk breeders and puppymills that need to be shut down. For that we need the help of the authorities, and the kennel clubs.

Edited by author Sat Nov 11, '06 9:21pm PST

[notify]
(In MEMORY) Tigger

Barked: Sat Nov 11, '06 9:19pm PST 
JP -

A long waiting list is the mark of a GREAT breeder. Yes, it is frusterating... but well worth the wait for those that are patient enough.

Bulk Breeders and Puppymill breeders are the samesmile
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Sat Nov 11, '06 9:39pm PST 
For all the plight of children in other countries, it's quite difficult to actually adopt one. I know a couple people who have been turned down, wait listed for years, or just given up trying. Not all starving children are up for adoption - just as there are millions of unwanted dogs outside shelters dying in the streets.

I've never seen anyone here vehminantly against responsible breeding, or buying a puppy from a responsible breeder. The people who post topics about breeding their dog are not responsible breeders. A responsible breeder would not need to log on to Dogster and ask a bunch of strangers (whose only qualifications are that they own a dog) how to do it. There are actually a couple good breeders who are regulars in the forums and I haven't seen any of them start a "how do I..." topic.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5