GO!

Greyhounds...

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 14)  
1  2  
Lenny

Sleep Your Way- Out Of Trouble

Barked: Sun Nov 5, '06 4:26am PST 
In response to an earlier post about breeder/racer Greys:
There are huge differences between the two, and not just in personality, their size and general looks can be very different too. Greys bred from show strains can be more highley strung, more active and more difficult to train (though still lovley dogs). I would not recomend one of these dogs unless you have had encounters with them before. The ex racer Greys are close to being a very different breed altogether, much smaller than the show dogs and far more docile. I should have pointed out earlier that my post was about ex racers.

On another note about training; Vance the problems you encountered were on a huge scale because there were so many dogs. Also the actual issues the dogs had don't seem that huge to me. The "sit" command is diffucult with Greyhounds as they don't naturally like sitting, prefering to lye down or stand, the amount of muscle on their long back legs can also make sitting difficult to do and sometimes painfull for them. Greys are very different to most other breeds, they do not excell in obedience commands, but are naturally very well behaved dogs and because of this most people find no need to train them at all. They are an intelligant breed and do pick the smarter commands up, such as closing doors, jumping on command etc. Training a Greyhound can be difficult if you are not used to the breed so I would recomend talking to the shelter staff about the sort of methods that work on that particular dog.
[notify]
Monty

Vicious- sighthound!

Barked: Sun Dec 17, '06 10:14pm PST 
I have to add that they're achingly beautiful. I'd say Greyts are unmatched for grace and dignity when they're on the move. So stately, yet such sweethearts. Really, everyone should have two or three.

(Someday, someday...)
[notify]
Monty

Vicious- sighthound!

Barked: Sun Dec 17, '06 10:15pm PST 
*double post*

Edited by author Tue Dec 19, '06 12:55am PST

[notify]

Mimi

Needs a One-Dog- Home

Barked: Mon Dec 18, '06 2:17pm PST 
It is heartwarming to see that the topic of rescuing former racing greyhounds is active, and people are seeking the truth about their unique character and needs. In response to earlier posts, greyhounds are not the perfect pet for all homes – no breed is, they do make excellent therapy dogs, and AKC (and dogs bred outside of the track industry) are very different. I manage a foster facility for greyhounds in Northern California. It is designed for 12 dogs, but we have had as many as 24 at a time. Since opening in June of 2005, over 100 dogs have been adopted. This is exciting, but as pointed out in earlier posts, only represents the tip of the iceberg in this arena. Racing is illegal in California, so we transport dogs from, primarily, Arizona and Colorado. We also accept surrenders from the public and rescue dogs from regional, public shelters. So, a few non-racers have visited us. The primary differences I have seen is their more ‘tightly wound’ personalities and lack of pack etiquette, the way racers and non-racers initiate and carry out play and communication in groups. With respect to matching homes and dogs, we test the foster dogs with cats, small (white & fluffy) dogs, small children, and farm animals. We also start leash training if the dog is with us long enough. Our organization does, also, have in-home foster volunteers, and I, usually, have a foster in my home along with my three, pet former racing greyhounds. I invited anyone with questions to visit our website www.greyhoundfriendsforlife.org
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 14)  
1  2