GO!

Are all chihuahuas so sweet?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Kara

Snuggle bunny

Barked: Sun Nov 25, '12 1:19pm PST 
Currently have my first chi! And I'm so surprised that she is this sweet, gentle, and loving! I guess I fell victim to the stereotype that all Chi's are vicious and bark constantly. My girl is coming up on three and for the most part is very quiet and loves strangers.. But still always wants to be with me! Is this usual?? Or did I get super lucky? Just wondering as I'm new to the chi world!
[notify]
Loki

Dung Fanatic

Barked: Sun Nov 25, '12 1:49pm PST 
My chihuahua was very sweet when I first adopted him. Unfortunately I think he has picked up on my nervous temperament because within a few months he became more aggressive (barking) towards strangers and especially other dogs (attacking.) Working on socialization and giving him good exercise has helped though!

I hope you like your new doggie. I think you're lucky to have found a calm one. Some chis I've met have been nice and quiet companions, but then a couple that'd not been taught basic dog manners were yappy and really territorial. All of them seemed pretty attached to their people.
[notify]
Penny Mouse- Fart Ayala

I eat, therefore- I am.....

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '12 12:34pm PST 
This is Exactly why I'm addicted to Chihuahuas'! They are the sweetest lil cuddlers ever! The only ones I've seen that are barky or snappy have usually been abused in some way or another. Realizing that the smaller the dog breed is, the more they've been bred in the past to be A)great snuggly lap warmers and B)alarm systems. They've been bred to bark to warn you of intruders. Honestly, they're not much as far as protecters (don't tell them that, though! lol) but they're all huge dogs in their heads. They have huge hearts, though and will love you and attach themselves to their owners very closely. They're really lovers! If not in your lap, Chi's want to be right by your sides, tasting your food for you, kissing you when your sad and keeping you company. The Chihuahua personality is wonderful! They will do all kinds of tricks and things to get your attention, if you're busy. But, they all have thier wonderful, individual personalities, just like people. Penny is a very low key napper that loves car rides. Chihuahuas are the BEST DOGS EVER!!! way to gocloud 9way to go
[notify]

tiki

I was born to be- loved.

Barked: Thu Dec 20, '12 8:46pm PST 
My baby girl is going on five this next week and she is still the most loving girl ever, always there for me, she does bark at home when the door bell rings but in public she is very good. I just got a rescue she is sweet but growls at everyone but me, she is so scared she was very abused for 6 years of her little life, when I got her she did not bark, or move, just wanted to lay her head on my chest. she was a skinny mess, missing fur, teeth, was used to breed. I fear she may never come out of this, she goes for walks but if anyone comes by she hides behind me, it is just heartbreaking to see such fear in her little eyes. I do belive chi's are the sweetest dogs, but any dog that has been abused will try to protect themselves by growling or barking. I personaly love the breed.
[notify]
Beth

Hey! I hear- people landing- on the Moon!

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 9:37am PST 
Chihuahuas can be very sweet with their own humans, but unless you deliberately socialize them, they can become very barky and snippy with others. They seem to have a natural desire to be protective of those they love, and will defend their human(s) against all comers, regardless of size.

Both of our Chis are service dogs, so it was important that they be carefully socialized so that they would be "safe" out in public, but I feel it is important that ALL dogs are socialized. The last thing anyone needs is to have their dog (f any breed) bite someone, ESPECIALLY a child who doesn't know any better and whose parent(s) aren't paying attention to what's going on.
[notify]