GO!

Does any one Honk like a Goose?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Gracie May

I was born to be- a Princess

Barked: Sat Jan 9, '10 5:09pm PST 
My Gracie has this wierd cough or honk it seriously sounds like a goose I have tried asking the vet but she will never do it there (Of course!) and it seems like she can do it on purpose even for attention but sometimes it happens when she is playing any ideas?
[notify]
Bella

I'm the baby- gotta love me

Barked: Sat Jan 9, '10 6:21pm PST 
Aww, poor Gracie. I don't know what the cough is, but it doesn't sound fun. What did the vet say when you told them about it?
[notify]
Bella

Barked: Sat Jan 9, '10 9:27pm PST 
Oh my Gosh Gracie, I just read a post on the Puppy Place section of Forums. It looks like a puppy just died of the doggy flu. The thread is titled "omg warning" I'm worried about Gracie now. Please read the thread and maybe compare notes with the OP. It seems that the only symptom she was showing was a cough.

I really hope everything is Ok with youhug
[notify]

Brody

Tiny boy, but he- has a huge- heart!

Barked: Mon Jan 11, '10 1:09pm PST 
It's probably reverse sneezing. Many Chi's do this. They kind of hunch over and freeze in place and inhale and make a terrible honking noise over and over. You can look up youtube videos of reverse sneezing and see many examples and see if that's what it is.

Brody does it occasionally. Especially if he gets super excited. It sounds awful!! I pick him up and gently pinch his nostrils closed with my fingers and tell him shhhhhhhhhhhhhh. You can also rub their throat. It will stop it almost immediatley. They need to interrupt the cycle by swallowing.

It's very common in Chi's.
[notify]
Gracie May

I was born to be- a Princess

Barked: Mon Jan 11, '10 8:24pm PST 
Wow Thank you - Bella no worries she has had this forever, thank u for caring the vet had thought is was a cough at first and we were just writing it down how many times a day it happened, then i worried cause i read about a collapsed trachea but that we got checked out to, I am in good health and playing like crazy blue dog
Thank you for the info

Hugs ~
Gracie
[notify]
Bella

Barked: Mon Jan 11, '10 9:21pm PST 
I'm so happy Gracie is not sickdancing
[notify]
Tess

The Mouse That- Roars

Barked: Fri Jan 15, '10 9:36am PST 
This "honking" is something that most Chihuahuas do off and on and usually is not a cause for concernblue dog
[notify]
Bella- (Joyful)- Jimenez

I think I am the- BOSS!

Barked: Sun Sep 23, '12 2:17am PST 
Are you sure that BELLA is not choking? That sound terrifies me! I 'm relieved to now know about honking; thankyou for the info, and for realiving my anxiety!
[notify]
Abigail

Whatcha doin'?

Barked: Sun Sep 23, '12 2:23pm PST 
Yes, our Abigail suffers from reverse sneezing as well. We were concerned that it was a collapsed trachea, but that wasn't the case. She's learned that when it starts happening to come to one of us and we'll stroke her until it stops.
[notify]
Doozer

Here I come!

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 2:29pm PST 
Doozer and Kira both do this when exited. They run to me because they know that I will make it better by blocking their nostrils until they gulp air through their mouth. Then they trot off to play again!cheer
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2