GO!

Walking. How far can I go?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Toby

As if I could- get cuter!

Barked: Sat Mar 21, '09 4:36pm PST 
Toby had his first walk today, actually walks, three of them, I got over-excited. One on the pavement, one in a large park, one by a canal. We got attacked by a swan, surrounded by yorkies, obsessed by pine cones and had a fabulous time.
I was told he should walk 15 minutes tops, and we stuck to this religiously. Toby was not so fond. He is a pretty high energy pup, and really wanted to keep going. At one point I ran flat out as fast as I could to see how fast he could go, and he was ahead of me the whole way.
Part of my reason for getting a chihuahua was that I didn't want to walk for an hour every day, but now he's here, I'd do it no problem, he's a superstar.
So as a 13 week old puppy, how far can he walk? Can I go on a longer walk? Is it ok to tire him out? If I can't go too far, can I build up gradually to some long walks?
[notify]
Luna

scratch my- booty...come on- just a lil!!!

Barked: Sat Mar 21, '09 6:51pm PST 
It's sounds like Toby had a great first walk daysmile I think you just need to watch him and walk as long as he wants to walk. Since he is a growing puppy you don't want to walk him for miles, but I think he can handle more than 15 minutes. Keep having lots of fun with your cutey SUPERSTAR!!!
[notify]
Angie and- Sarah♥

Way Too Cute!

Barked: Tue Mar 24, '09 4:32am PST 
waveHi Toby!wave
We are 6 months old & we had our first long walk on Sunday.
Mommy took us down on the trail & we took a 3 mile walk. Of course
we took plenty of breaks & mommy had food & water for us, & the
weather was nice about 55. Mommy said we did real good.applause
Have fun walking sweetie! As long as the weather isn't too hot or
cold I am sure you will be fine.big grin
[notify]

Molly

Love Mommy\\\'s- Lap

Barked: Tue Mar 24, '09 3:53pm PST 
I agree! Bring water and food in case of a blood sugar drop - and carry him if he gets tired. He'll let you know when he's had enough - if you haven't had enough first that is! You are going to have so much fun with him!
[notify]
Toby

Barked: Tue Mar 24, '09 4:17pm PST 
Well unfortunately, since the weekend, we have had gale force winds, so no puppy walks. I'm itching to get out there, as is Toby, but when bins are flying through the air that weigh twice the weight of him, I'm not risking it.
But we're getting our exercise with fetch and training, and he now gets sit... most of the time.
[notify]
Luna

scratch my- booty...come on- just a lil!!!

Barked: Tue Mar 24, '09 6:34pm PST 
Oh, you mentioning wind reminded me of Luna's first fall (2007). She wore a little light pink sweat shirt and when I would take her outside the fall wind would blow leaves around her and she looked just like Winnie the Pooh's Piglet. She was so little and she still had a lil puppy skip in her walk so it looked like the wind was blowing her around with the leaves! It was sooooo cute!

Luna's going to be 2 on March 31st and I am feeling very sentimental! I feel like she has grown up so fast and I kinda miss her puppy dayssmile
[notify]
Toby

Barked: Wed Mar 25, '09 4:48am PST 
Ooh, leaves! Toby would do anything for crunchy leaves, there's only a few on the ground now, but in autumn he'll be in heaven, crunchy leaves and pine cones everywhere.
[notify]