GO!

Hair loss? Tan??

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Buddy Lee

For real, you- gonna eat all- that?

Barked: Wed Aug 22, '07 12:36pm PST 
How many of you fellow chi's out there are, um, suffering from "Chihuahua Pattern Baldness"? I also don't have any hair on the front of my neck down thru and under my belly back to my...nether region. My legs are also shy of hair. I've been tested and while I'm on the low end of the thyroid panel, that vet-guy says it's not problematic. He also says when I get cold to put a sweater on me; read my answer to "do you like clothes" to see how I really feel about THAT.........

What are you doing for hair loss? My skin is clear, what coat I have is shiny, my diet is supreme (Momma's boy, and all...) I don't have frequent baths as Mom says I don't smell. I do scratch on occasion like I have fleas but Mom says there is nowhere on me for a flea to hide; plus I get my frontline monthly. That vet-guy says the scratching could be an allergy to something in my yard. Any ideas?

Also, for those of you either with or without hairloss, do you tan? My skin, where my hair used to be keeps getting darker and darker, even though I don't spend much time out in the sun.confused
[notify]
Molly

Love Mommy\\\'s- Lap

Barked: Wed Aug 22, '07 2:54pm PST 
Buddy - first of all, you are a very handsome guy! cheer
Hair loss - well my collar rubbed all the hair off my neck. I have very dry, flaky skin and my hair just kind of disappeared under my collar. So now I don't have to wear it unless mommy takes me places so I'll have my tag just in case. We have all had the itchies this summer - mommy thinks we are allergic to the grass that they grow for seed around our house. Cause they are done cutting and baling and we are getting much better. No fleas at our house either and we don't use meds for that - they made Sparky and Tucker kind of sick - and we haven't had a problem. It could be a reaction to the Frontline maybe. Have you tried cutting grains or at least wheat out of your diet? Lot's of doggies are allergic to wheat or corn. Other than that, I really don't have any other ideas. Good luck - I bet your hair will grow back.
Oh the tanning - all of our tummies are getting darker than when we were puppies. Not sure why either.
[notify]
Birdie- (12-15-2002/- 7-15-2011)

Lets take a- nap!! - *snickers*

Barked: Wed Aug 22, '07 7:11pm PST 
Buddy,

Molly is right, you are very handsome!! I'm also long haired so I don't have hair loss, but this summer has been my itchiest yet!! I've scratched all the hair off the back of my ears!! And I take monthly flea meds too, so no fleas on me! But I've just been soooooooo itchy!! And as for tanning, dogs do tan!! But don't get a sunburn *snickers*
[notify]

Buddy Lee

Barked: Wed Aug 22, '07 9:02pm PST 
Why, thank you ladies for the compliment! *blush*

We are reconsidering the allergy aspect. I do have the occasional mosquito bite when I come in from attending to my outside business but I don't seem to scratch much at those. Mom is pretty careful about what I eat, and lots of my treats are things like fruits and veggies, and approved for doggies. I've started acting like I don't like walking in the dry grass in the yard, like maybe it hurts my feet. (I'm an indoor guy about 98% of the time.) My sister Phoebe had allergy issues during the growing season; she always had to have medication or she would lick herself raw. Ouch! I don't do that, thankfully!

I did have a tanline from my collar, too, but Mom took it off me to see if some hair might grow back there. No such luck.shrug
[notify]
Baby'Phat - (Baby)

My Chi Baby

Barked: Fri Aug 24, '07 9:30am PST 
Wow I just had this problem. I just started growing hair on my belly and my skin is now getting pink. My mom started getting me groomed at Petco with a oatmeal bath and it worked. I have skin allergies do to different weather,food and our garden. If you don't like groomers ask your mom to get you some oatmeal shampoo and conditioner. I have to bathe ever 2- 3 weeks. But ask your Vet how often you should bathe. ( I also lost hair after I got some shots. that was a side effect)
[notify]
Buddy Lee

Barked: Fri Aug 24, '07 10:17am PST 
Thank you, Baby....

I have been losing more and more hair. My underbody is...um...naked. Nude. Void of hair. It was thin as a pup but now it's gone completely. My skin looks good, which is a good thing considering how much of it you can see!laugh out loud

Mom has some oatmeal shampoo hidden away. I guess she will get it out and try it.........
[notify]
Baby'Phat - (Baby)

My Chi Baby

Barked: Fri Aug 24, '07 10:37am PST 
That's great she had some oatmeal shampoo. Let me know how it makes you feel. I love my oatmeal baths.
[notify]
Eddie

3 Lbs of- Cuteness!

Barked: Tue Feb 3, '09 9:02pm PST 
Hello, I have the same thing - head, neck, belly, back, etc. Every month it's been getting worse. The vet said I don't have fleas or mange - I'm a healthy pup! My mommy did some research and found that 95 percent of Fawn and Blue Chis get something called "color mutant alopecia" or "color dilution alopecia." Here's a site with more info: http://www.dermvet.com/colordilutionalopecia.htm

They say that their is no cure, but my mommy keeps trying. She's been trying to boost my fatty amino acids by giving me a double dose of fish oil every day and boy do I love it! It tastes really good and it makes my skin and coat really soft. Also, I think I might even be getting some of my hair back on my head! (my back though? no luck).

Anyways, I hope all of this information helps you. As long as your not itchy and your comfortable, balding is okay - it just makes you unique! smile

[notify]
Paco

I love food

Barked: Fri Feb 6, '09 8:58pm PST 
OMGH!! Buddy, you are just like Paco,he has the same problem. But his mom was beating him, when he was a baby. and that's were he has no hair.I really don't know what to do too.His brothers who i still know, don't seem to be that way. I just hope it grows back. Hope it does for you too!big grin
[notify]
Nacho

I am master of- all I see

Barked: Sun Feb 8, '09 4:59pm PST 
Nacho's pretty bald also, on his neck, stomach, his entire underside really, and is getting bald spots on his temples, too (but that's probably due to his age). His belly skin is pink during the winter, but as soon as the sun is regularly out and he starts sunbathing (he likes to find a patch of sun and follow it), he develops dark, almost black splotchy spots, on his skin. That happens every year, and they fade when he stops spending time in the sun.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2