GO!

Who knows about Chesapeake Bay Retrievers?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Allie

Don't lick the- frog!

Barked: Tue Mar 27, '07 8:57am PST 
We're still trying to figure out exactly what breed(s) our pup is. She's adorable as can be and we love her - but it's a mystery to us. We have no idea who or what her parents were. Her and her brother were found together on the side of the road. We immediately thought she had lab in her. She looks lab...her brother does not. Her brother has thicker & fluffier fur and has the color markings of an Australian Shepherd (although not AS fluffy as an Aussie). His vet immediately said Aussie, mixed with something. Allie has sleek, short fur, webbed feet and long legs. Everyone who sees her says she's a Chocolate lab...even though she is not solid brown (she has white on her chest, a little on her toes and a tiny bit on her nose) Her vet agreed that she might be Aussie - but wasn't sure otherwise and said she can tell better once her adult fur starts to come in. Her webbed feet indicate to me that she is some sort of retriever/water/hunting dog.

Well this week I have started to notice a change in her fur on her back. It has started to get thicker and has a distinct wave to it. I recently became aware of Chesapeake Bay Retrievers. DH and I went to a Hunting & Fishing Expo and they had a demonstration there from a local training place that trains retievers. I mistakingly called a Chessy a Chocolate and was sternly corrected. I noticed that her fur was thicker and had a bit of a wave to it as well.

I have done some reading on Chessy's and found that not only do they have the thick, wavy fur....but they also have amber eyes, long legs and can have white on their chest and feet....and people who don't know what they are often mistake them for Chocolate labs.

Can anyone give me any other ideas of traits (physical or personality) that distinguish a Chessy from a Chocolate? I don't know if Allie really could be one - or if her physical traits are just a combination of breeds (of which we are unsure of what exactly they are).

Thanks!
[notify]
Brandi

Wanna Play?!

Barked: Wed Apr 4, '07 8:29am PST 
Looking at her picture I would say she was a CBR. The crest on her chest seems to be a marking of the chessie. Webbed feet are too as well as the amber eyes. Our Brandi has a tail that curls up and she always looks happy!
Good luck in your search but I would say you have a Chessie!
[notify]
Morgan

Barked: Thu Apr 5, '07 4:18pm PST 
HI there. Your pup is definitely a mix of sorts. From the look of it, I wouldn't guess her to be a Chesapeake. However, she's still quite young and has some growing to do. smile So her looks can be deceiving.

Personally, I don't think she's part Chesapeake.
[notify]

Eli

Eli - The Black Knight

Barked: Mon Apr 16, '07 2:30pm PST 
When I look at her face, I see Chesapeake! One of the odd traits I've read about Chesapeakes and I've witnessed daily in my own puppy is that they 'talk' when they are excited. Eli sounds as if he is growling and I think could scare a stranger if the stranger didn't notice that he is wiggling all over and wagging his tail. In the morning when we first see Eli he tells quite a story. Another trait that I heard from a dog trainer is that the Chesapeake will be the one at puppy class that can't stay away from the water dish. Very true for Eli, too!

Congratulations on a beautiful puppy either way!
[notify]
Mocha

Be lovable to- your pet!

Barked: Thu Jun 21, '07 10:21am PST 
I had a Chessie that died her name was Mocha cry She was there when I came home from the Hospital (when I was born) She died from cancer we put her to sleep *Sniff* *Sniff*
[notify]
Mocha

Be lovable to- your pet!

Barked: Thu Jun 21, '07 10:22am PST 
but now we have Red Labs so everything worked out
[notify]
Thor

Canis Sillius- Maximus

Barked: Mon Mar 31, '08 1:35pm PST 
Hey there!
Looks like your girl definitely has some chessie in her. She should have had blue eyes at birth until four or five months age.
In any event, be aware that Chessies are not like Labs or Goldens. The joke is:
You TELL a Lab
You ASK a Golden
You NEGOTIATE with a Chessie.

Make sure you are alpha in every way and give her discipline. She'll (and you'll) need it.
They crave work and exercise. Give them both and you'll have a mellow, obedient dog.
Good luck!
[notify]