GO!

Cavaliers and Shedding

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Nibbles

Hi! I'm Nibbles.- Play with me!

Barked: Fri Aug 29, '08 6:55am PST 
I have a question for the cavalier owners...how much does your dog shed? If I didn't know better I'd say that Nibbles is "blowing" his coat. It's not just hair, it is clumps of hair. The other day a ball of hair rolled by me in the kitchen like tumbleweed in Dodge City. I thought cavaliers were low shedding. Also, isn't this a strange time of year for massive shedding ? With fall coming on I would think animals would get a thicker coat. I am looking for bald patches on Nibbles but his coat is not suffering any ill effects. Thanks for any insight anyone can offer.wave
[notify]
Candi

As- sweet as- candy

Barked: Mon Oct 20, '08 4:45pm PST 
Hi Nibbles,

Well, it mostly depends on the breed of dog and also depends on just that dog. Candi is a purebred Cavalier and doesn't shed that much. To prevent Nibbles from shedding i would just brush him when you have the chance so there is less fur but there is really nothing else you can do. Good Luck!
[notify]
Hope

Barked: Wed Oct 22, '08 11:36pm PST 
Nibbles,
Mine came to me as a 6yr old puppy mill mama rescue. She was shaved down.
She is blenheim and alot of ppl told me they dont get that hairy.
Boy were they wrong. She has more hair than I ever imagined she would get. She is beautiful but her hair is thick and requires alot of care.
She sheds year round but moreso in the spring. I use a mars coat king on her every few months. It pulls out her dead hair and also thins her coat to make it more managable.
I do think it depends on the individual dog. I also have an English toy Spaniel who doesnt have near the hair as my Cavalier but he seems to shed 10x more.

Hope this helps =)

Edited by author Wed Oct 22, '08 11:37pm PST

[notify]

Finn- (Karvale- Brookhaven- Finn

He's a kissing- machine!! & very- complex.

Barked: Thu Oct 23, '08 10:11am PST 
Hey Nibbles mom!
THis is Finn's mom - My breeder told me that they do shed and need to be brushed daily (yeah and Finn really lets me do that). But I never heard of clumps like tumbleweeds....Finn's is more like a fine misting over all the furniture and clothes we wear...

But anyway, we bought something like a pumice stone at vendor during one of the AKC dog shows we were at. It kind of works like a brush and takes away the loose hair, which remains on the stone. I dont know what they are called but they are pretty good and Finn likes it better than the evil brush...
[notify]
Stella Agnes- CGC/TDI

CGC, Therapy- Dog. My velcro- girl!

Barked: Sat Nov 29, '08 6:49pm PST 
Hi! Stella does shed. Pretty much year round. Her shedding is not "clumpy" tho'. Just lots of white hair everywhere. She gets groomed every other month (at the groomers). She gets brushed about 3 times a week. She also sheds more when she's excited or nervous, so I make sure I don't wear black when we are doing our therapy dog work LOL. laugh out loud
[notify]
Yodels

Yodels-I am- reserved and- ladylike

Barked: Fri Jan 30, '09 8:18pm PST 
Yodels mom here. Yodels sheds year-round, clumps, fine hair. Particularly clumps. She has a beautiful, thick coat and won't let us touch her with the brush.
I was curious to know what a mars coat king is.
Yodels is my third CKCS. Each had a different shedding pattern but all did shed quite a bit. None were particularly cooperative about grooming.
[notify]
Aimee

Barked: Mon Mar 2, '09 5:54pm PST 
I am Aimee's mom. She shedds all year just the fine hair. This spring she is 20 months old and for the first time we do have some hair balls. I use a furrminator comb on her 2-3 times a month. It really helps. Aimee is very cooperative about grooming and I thank her breader for that and then I started out by doing grooming in small doses and worked up to "spa days" now she will actually lay down in a sink for a hot oil bath for 15 min.
[notify]
Chloe

Yes, that's- really me!

Barked: Sun Jul 5, '09 7:50am PST 
My Cavaliers shed like crazy! They absolutely blow coat periodically, and shed smaller amounts year-round. They all carry lots and lots of coat, though (believe it or not, Chloe was *out* of coat in the photo to the left). Others don't--some Cavaliers are very naked in comparison (it's genetic), and I'll bet their vacuums get away with lots less than mine does. shrug
[notify]
Henry

I'm the baby,- gotta love me!

Barked: Thu Aug 6, '09 1:35pm PST 
Henry is a shed-monster, which is embarrassing to a groomer, but what can I do? He gets brushed and combed and bathed frequently, but he's just SUPER thick. I have noticed that on Wellness Small Breed food, he's shedding a lot less than he was on other foods I've tried. They're just furry little babies! (I've heard people refer to them as "moderate shedders"...moderate my foot!)
[notify]