GO!

Rodent Ulcer, Indolent Ulcer Homeopathic Treatment?

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
The Thompson- Zoo

Whatever it- is....we didn't- do it!

Barked: Tue Nov 30, '10 9:33pm PST 
Asking for my mom's cat Peter (he also lives with my dad who is a Veterinarian), he has dealt with Rodent Ulcers forever, gets a steroid (Depo Medrol) shot every few months to help, but I saw him today and he is clearly miserable, he doesn't even clean himself, he is a black tuxedo kitty and his poor coat is so unkempt at the moment & his white socks on his feet are just filthy. I am dabbling more into natural/holistic care for my own animals, and was wondering does anyone have any experience treating Rodent Ulcer/Indolent Ulcer/Eosinophillic Granuloma's holistically/homeopathically? May I ask what worked?

FWIW, he is currently eating Kirkland Signature Dry (not a ton) as he mostly eats Friskies or Fancy Feast Canned food. So will be talking to them about switching to a grain free diet.
[notify]
Mo

Save Plants - Let Me Eat- Meat!!!

Barked: Tue Nov 30, '10 10:25pm PST 
Missy had a swollen bottom lip which was due to who-knows-what. My guess is that it was a rodent sore but as soon as I switched her to a raw diet it disappeared. You can’t even tell that it was there anymore. She had the rodent sore nearly her entire life (she is about 3 years old) but it took roughly two weeks of her eating all raw for it to disappear. Nothing else was changed, just her food. Some may say that it disappeared, it was bound to sometime, but I know that it was from her switch from dry/wet food to a home prepared raw diet.

That may not be the kind of answer you are looking for but that is what worked for methinking
[notify]
Lesley

Not a Bobtail - But Not a Full- Tail!

Barked: Wed Dec 1, '10 4:44am PST 
You can try rubbing a pultice of chapparal herb on the rodent sore. I used this when Lesly was bit by a squirrel and it healed it right up!
[notify]

Mister Grey- (Striped- Seven)

TICA M.S. (HHP- Champion)

Barked: Wed Dec 1, '10 12:28pm PST 
My cat has food allergies and eosinophilic granuloma complex and one of the symptoms when he eats the 'wrong' foods is rodent ulcers.
Have they tried using a limited ingredient food? When my vet first thought his issues might be due to food allergies, she told me to use a food for Mr Grey with no chicken, fish, or grains. That eliminates the most common allergies so you can see if there is improvement.
[notify]
The Thompson- Zoo

Barked: Thu Dec 2, '10 10:07am PST 
Thank-you, yes they are going to switch Petey to a LID, as well as trying a Homeopathic remedy we found.

For some reason it's not letting me make a linky, so copy past this:
www.omeopatia.org/upload/Image/my_operatori/CGE .pdf

I will update on how it works for Petey.

Edited by author Thu Dec 2, '10 10:08am PST

[notify]
Hobert von- Kingston III

Is it Caturday- yet?

Barked: Thu Dec 2, '10 1:08pm PST 
Hobie gets these from allergies as well as when he's stressed. The stress induced ones tend to go away on their own, but unfortunately the allergen related ones only seem to go away with a Depo injection. I'd love to hear if something else works!
[notify]
The Thompson- Zoo

Barked: Tue Dec 7, '10 2:38pm PST 
Just wanted to update, my dad gave Petey the Homeopathic Dose on Friday, he said it appears that it isn't bothering him as much as he's not licking it as much, seems drier and looks like it is getting smaller, so the homeopathic treatment seems to be working on Petey....YAY! He's been dealing with this every 3-4 months since March 2009.
[notify]
Mister Grey- (Striped- Seven)

TICA M.S. (HHP- Champion)

Barked: Tue Dec 7, '10 4:25pm PST 
Glad to hear it! What remedy was it?
[notify]
The Thompson- Zoo

Barked: Tue Dec 7, '10 6:16pm PST 
Mister Grey it's in the study, but I sent you a PM with what we gave.
[notify]
Trooper and- Bella

Barked: Thu Mar 3, '11 11:41am PST 
Both of my cats (brother and sister) had severe IBS from around six months of age, and Trooper, the white boy kitty, would get horrible ulcers on his lips, which would then get infected from rubbing his teeth. Even working with a very supportive vet and trying every traditional food on the market (including the LIDs and prescriptions), we were not able to get their issues under control. Both cats took metranidazole regularly for severe diarrhea, and Trooper even had IVs a few times when the diarrhea made him dehydrated. He was also getting steroid shots every three weeks, and we experimented with giving him oral steroids and tapering them down- no luck. Both cats were miserable and had to be bathed regularly because of the diarrhea, and Trooper's anal glands even got painfully infected.

They were miserable. We tried both the low allergen and gastro prescriptions foods, and this made things even worse, giving them stools the color and consistency of molasses. We tried Feliway diffusers for stress, but Trooper still became withdrawn and fearful because I was always trying to give him medicine. I tried a number of brands of novel protein, limited ingredient foods, including limiting them to only wet food at my vet's suggestion. Nothing worked, and both cats were on medications constantly. Trooper's lips would become horribly distorted and scabbed, and he was miserable, spending most of the day hiding under my recliner.

After a lot of research, I tried a frozen raw food from Nature's Variety. My vet was leery of the raw idea, fearing contamination problems (never mind the horrible things found in traditional foods), but I gave her a ton of research and documentation on their foods, and she agreed that it was worth a try, as the constant medication posed significant health problems.

The difference was nothing short of miraculous. Within two days of switching them over to the raw-only food, both cat's stools spontaneously cleared up and became firm and dry- with NO ODOR! Trooper still needed another round of antibiotics to clear up a secondary infection, but from the day we started about three months ago, neither cat has required steroids or any additional medication.

Both cat's coats became soft and shiny, and they quickly returned to their happy, healthy selves. Their weights have stabilized at a very healthy level (Trooper had gained weight from the steroids).

We buy the Nature's Variety medallions in beef, lamb and venison. We also do Bison every once in a while, which they love, but is not approved as the sole diet for cats (the food is for cats or dogs). They didn't like the chicken or rabbit. It can be hard to find (and shipping it is prohibitively expensive because it must be kept frozen. I live in a rural area, but I found a garden store that stocked alternative pet foods that carried it about an hour from my house, and the owner their orders for me every six weeks or so. Between the two cats they get 8 oz. (8 medallions) a day, 4 in the evening and four in the morning. Each night I take 8 more out of the freezer and put them in a covered glass bowl in the fridge for the next day. The price works out to about $1.50 per day per cat- $90/month for two cat's food is expensive, but compares to the vet's prescription food, and we haven't spent a penny on vet bills since we started- compared to the $2700 I spent at the vet last year.

I can't recommend this food enough- it has literally saved my cat's lives. My vet was pleasantly stunned at their recovery, and is now considering using the food with other patients. Look for a place with enough turnover that it's fresh- some chain stores only had expired food. Best of all is if you can find a locally owned place that will work with you to get what you need!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2