GO!

Grooming Questions

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Geordie

Bitey Dog!

Barked: Sat Jun 9, '07 11:22pm PST 
I am relatively new to owning a Cairn, so I'm trying to learn about taking care of their coats. Do all Cairns have similar coat types? If you strip their coats, which hairs are you removing? Is stripping necessary? What does it mean if a coat is "blown"? I comb my dog every day, and I am wondering if I am doing enough for him. Geordie isn't a show dog, just a family member who doesn't like warm weather very much. Any suggestions will be appreciated!
[notify]
Kosar

"Love me, love- me, love me!!"

Barked: Tue Jun 12, '07 6:44am PST 
I have been a proud Cairn owner for three years. Kosar isn't a show dog, either- just an incredibly spoiled lap dog! We have never had him professionally groomed- we just make sure he gets brushed everyday and bathed once a week to keep his coat from getting out of control! However, if you want more info, we also got a book from a pet supply store about taking care of a Cairn puppy- feeding, grooming, training, habits, temperamant. Those can be really helpful when you get a breed you aren't familiar with. Hope I could be of some help!puppy
[notify]
Geordie

Bitey Dog!

Barked: Wed Jun 13, '07 12:38am PST 
Wow, Kosar, you are a beautiful dog!! If brushing Geordie's fur will have him looking as nice as you, I'll be very happy. Thanks for the book recommendation. I've been reading online, but the information hasn't been very in-depth. I'll guess I'll make a trip to the pet store. Thanks.
[notify]

Max

Max king of the- wild things

Barked: Tue Jul 3, '07 8:34am PST 
I actually get maxie puppy cut for the summer..and by fall he grows out to have that great cairn look again...he hates the heat and i found he is just happier in the summer this way and he looks like a puppy again..and it always grows out wonderful..of course this is a matter of what ya like...have the best day!!!!!snoopy
[notify]
Maggie

Dogs rule!

Barked: Tue Jul 17, '07 2:54pm PST 
I have Maggie trimmed really close and she seems to like it but she is averse to having us brush her. I can get her head brushed most of the time and maybe her back and sides but forget the legs.
I never pulled any hairs out of my dog. I don't see the point in that God made her with a double coat she still has it.dancing
[notify]
SONNY

Son Son,- Stink,Sonny- Bunny,

Barked: Wed Sep 10, '08 2:33pm PST 
Sonny gets the puppy cut Which is a short cut and grows back for winter. Our groomer suggests not to have him stripped as long as I have my hair combed just about every day then Ill be fine!
[notify]
whisky

You have any- food.

Barked: Mon Oct 6, '08 9:48am PST 
Some Cairns have very coarse coats, others have softer coats. you dont need to strip unless it is a show dog. keep it bruhed, trim the eyes ears and paws and under coat and that should be enough. I bathe mine once amonth with only oatmeal shampoos, cairns can be prone to skin allergies so never use anything harsh.
good luck with your cairn.
[notify]