GO!

vicious bullmastiff?!?!?!

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Tiggi

tigger- \\\'bouncy- bouncy\\\'!

Barked: Thu Oct 28, '10 3:10pm PST 
hello, I got my 1yo bullmastiff bitch yesterday,was told she was due to come into season in the next few days, the journey home was fine etc! she was very cuddly and loving towards me,my sister and mother, let her sleep the night and when she woke up my father came into the room where Tiggi was and she growled at him warning him to stay away, he moved forward showing he's boss and Tiggi bit him on his face(he' okay, it's minor), she has continued to growl throughout the day yet shes fine with females, is the because she's due on heat or is it that i have a troubled and genuinely vicious dog? please share any advice you have, much appriciated!
[notify]
Kahuna

Only my cover is- scary. Read my- book.

Barked: Thu Oct 28, '10 5:52pm PST 
Like human (women) we can be quite nasty when hormones are raging. To add ANYTIME a dog of any breed or mix growls at you you do not continue to move forward. You give them their space. The who's boss thing is over rated. Your female gave fair warning (didn't start with a bite) and your dad did not listen. All she had left was a bite. I mean she can't talk and say, "Get away or I'll bite. I don't feel good". Know what I mean?

Please don't breed her. No reason to. Spay her, she's not vicious. d
[notify]
Kahuna

Only my cover is- scary. Read my- book.

Barked: Fri Oct 29, '10 8:26am PST 
Like human women we can be quite nasty when hormones are raging. To add anytime a dog of any breed or mix growls at you you do not continue to move forward. You give them their space. It doesn't mean she wins and you lose. SHE does not see it this way, only humans do and that thinking is misguided (Cesar Milan comes to mind). Your girl was uncomfortable for whatever reason and let your father know. Maybe before she came to you she was mistreated by a man, who knows.

Anyhoo, the who's the boss thing is over rated. Better to *lead* your dog, not be forceful or threatening. We've raised two well behaved Bullmastiffs from pups. There was never any need to be bossy. Plus Bullmastiffs don't respond well to this type of handling, they're extremely sensitive.

Your female gave fair warning (didn't start with a bite) and your dad did not listen. All she had left was a bite. I mean she can't talk and say, "Get away or I'll bite. I don't feel good". Know what I mean? So she gave a growl, but your dad pushed her by moving forward. You havn't had her long. It will take weeks for her to settle in to her new surroundings. Pushing her will cause setbacks. Right now trust needs to be built, she does not know you or your family. Give her time and treat her gently. Get her into obedience, classes are cheap. She needs to be taught what is is you want from her. However it must be done appropriately with patience and understanding. Have your dad feed, walk, train and play with her EVERYDAY so she'll come to see him as the giver of all good things. She'll soon bond to him. That's how he'll gain her respect. Not by force but by giving her the respect she wants and needs, she'll return it in ten fold to him!

Please don't breed her. No reason to. Spay her, she's not vicious wink
[notify]