GO!

skin conditions

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Magoo

Barked: Fri Jun 18, '10 7:59am PST 
This is my first time here and I'm hoping someone has had similar experiences as I have with my bully. Magoo has a skin condition which almost seems like allergies, but vet tests have ruled that out. He breaks out on his muzzle and his eyes get puffy and red and he is constantly licking his paws until they get red and raw. I have tried numerous food changes hoping it was certain ingredients causing this but no change has been noticed. Has anyone had this happen to their pets and what was done to help them out?
thanks,

Tony and Magoo.
[notify]
Daisy Dukes

Licking is my- Specialty

Barked: Sat Jul 10, '10 12:19pm PST 
Hi, Has your vet indicated that the itchy areas may be hot spots (dermatitis)? The symptoms you described sounds like it may be a possibility. They are usually caused by humid weather, pollen, and a variety of other factors. My gal is currently suffering from this problem due to the weather we have been having in the Northeast.
[notify]
Daisy Dukes

Licking is my- Specialty

Barked: Sat Jul 10, '10 12:19pm PST 
Hi, Has your vet indicated that the itchy areas may be hot spots (dermatitis)? The symptoms you described sounds like it may be a possibility. They are usually caused by humid weather, pollen, and a variety of other factors. My gal is currently suffering from this problem due to the weather we have been having in the Northeast.
[notify]

Daisy Dukes

Licking is my- Specialty

Barked: Sat Jul 10, '10 12:20pm PST 
[notify]
Moose

you eat kibble,- I eat- everything!

Barked: Fri Jul 16, '10 6:20am PST 
My Moose has itchy toes. It could be his PH balance is off or hot spots.. try looking up homemade shampoos that can return the PH balance to normal.
[notify]
Magoo

Barked: Sun Jul 18, '10 9:24am PST 
Thanks for all the replies. Magoo's conditin seems to have periods where it is really bad for a week or so and then clears right up to only flare up again.I did notice though, that when the cooler weather arrives and we get a frost, it seems to almost stop completely. I also have added some natural herbal powder to his diet which looks like it is helping quite a bit. I will get the name of the product later on this week as I don't have it with me.
I don't think its hot spots because I have had other dogs with hot spots and this doesn't look the same. He will lick his inside of his paws until they are almost raw and it takes for ever for them to heal even with medicated sprays or sour tasting lotions. He like the sour stuff. Go figure. I'll keep everyone posted as to the results I'm getting and hopefully it can be used for other dogs who have similar issues.
[notify]