GO!

wanting a new dog

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Mrs troublemaker

Barked: Fri Sep 4, '09 10:31pm PST 
I have one dog right now, a female bullmastiff X Rottweiler. Im looking into getting a pure bred puppy, as I would like to get into showing dogs. I definatly want a male dog, and Im very interested in getting a pure bred mastiff, they are one of the top breeds on my list. I would just like to get some more info from people first hand, ones that have owned/own one =) like do they have lots of health problems and such. How are they to train, energy level... just any tips would help =)
[notify]
Zeus

The ledgend- lives on.

Barked: Sat Sep 5, '09 1:03pm PST 
My first question to you would be - have you ever owned an intact male dog of a guard breed? If not? I'd pass past the Bulllmastiff - and go onto his cousin the English Mastiff.

I have experienced first hand an adult male Bullmastiff (not one of my own) when socialization and boundries were not key priority in the owner's life. It was a rogue attack with no warning signs - and I barely came out of it with the right side of my face. If you do not have hours a day to go into socialization from day one - and cannot set firm rules, boundries and limits for such an incredibly dominant breed - please pass.

(I know my above paragraph seems a little "much" - so forgive me. The inident just happened this past Wednesday - and the memory of it and the wound it opened in me are still wide open.)

Below I will provide some likes - and I hope you will read them all.

*The American Bullmastiff Association Prospective Owner Pamphlet

*"The Bullmastiff" (A wonderful comprehensive read from our very own Dogster Tiller!)

*Bullmastiff Temperament A FANTASTIC real-life view of the Bullmastiff temperament.

*Is the Bullmastiff the right breed for you?

*American Bullmastiff Association Health & Research Information (TONS of valuable information and links on this one.)

I hope this helps some! Please let me know if you have any questions! I have been reading pedigrees, skimming through health databases, researching genetics, temperament and health - and doing some massive networking in the breed for five years now in anticipation of my own conformation dog - and accumulating knowledge to know what will satisfy and represent both myself and the breed standard the best in the ring.
[notify]
Mrs troublemaker

Barked: Sat Sep 5, '09 8:30pm PST 
I have never owned a male dog myself, but Ive been around dogs lots, helped taken care of friends dogs before, so im not concerned about that. No matter what dog, breed or gender I will always be the leader in the home, and I start from day one. Do they tend to get lots of health problems ?
[notify]

Zeus

The ledgend- lives on.

Barked: Sat Sep 5, '09 9:37pm PST 
Yes, they are born with the tendancy to have a number of health problems. Read the full descripton of their health problems here.

Just today in our Bullmastiff group - two members have had to seek medical attention! Both are most likely allergy related - and one of them sounds like it's costing beaucoup bucks to chase down and treat! This is not uncommon!

Allergies (that lead to some serious skin/ear issues) are the biggest life long struggles - and become expensive from the day they start. Antihistamine and food alone empty my pocket. Skin and ear issues also go along with allergies - and all three have to be managed together.

Next comes orthopedic. Hips and elbows are your first concern - followed by the fact that these guys blow their knees out like birthday candles. Arthritis is inevitable is such a giant breed - and supplements, pain medication and surgical procedures for the above run you in the thousands.

Cancer plagues a great percent of these guys at the end of their life - and I don't have to tell any dog lover what the price of cancer treatment costs. Almost all Bullmastiffs succome to either osteosarcoma, lymphoma - or another common cancer in their short 7-9 year lifespan.

It is definitely a high maintenance breed to say the least. (And I'm lucky that I'm a veterinary technician - get free exams - free heartworm/flea/tick preventative - and a 40% discount on everything else. Otherwise? I couldn't afford them.)

Honestly - if you've never owned a male dog of any breed before that is absolutely something to be concerned about. At least it is in my opinion - as somebody who has been in the breed for years, is familiar and has lived and worked with them, and been mentored by some of the big hitters in the breed. If you read Tiller's post you read the description of them in situations mirroring a "maned lion" - and it can be oh-so very true.

Edited by author Sat Sep 5, '09 9:53pm PST

[notify]
Zeus

The ledgend- lives on.

Barked: Sat Sep 5, '09 9:45pm PST 
Double Post

Edited by author Sat Sep 5, '09 9:54pm PST

[notify]