GO!

Hello All!

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Mowgli

Barked: Sun Aug 9, '09 9:39pm PST 
Hello! I am new to the site and am a first time Bullmastiff owner. This is my first 'forum experience' and I am pleased to have found a place with so many bullmastiff owners. I have had Mowgli for about 6 months now and he is definately a full-time job! At first I couldn't get him to walk anywhere. He was fearful of everything, even the dark. After EVERYDAY socialization with people, places, dogs, etc he has nearly grown out of that problem. Just as other bullmastiff owners have talked about...we have had waves and waves of medical problems with him from finding a food that works, to doggie flu, skin problems, etc. but he is completely worth it.
He is very sweet, wonderful with our cats (we live in a downtown condo), and calm. BUT the last month he has been going through a terrible 'test' phase. He tries to get away with everything, and sometimes I am correcting him 8-10 times per incident! However, he has been showing some strange behavior: He has a 'pet pillow' shaped like a bone and several times a day he takes it into his bed or kennel and literally 'nurses' on the corners of it, sometimes for an hour. Is this normal? Should I let it continue or take it away? He wasn't taken from the litter early, we picked him up when he was 8 weeks old. He is not yet neutered, but our trainer and vet recommended that we wait until he is two years old (and has quit growing) until we neuter him.
He is very playful but is too big and rough to play with most other dogs at the dog park. He tries but they run and a chase persues. Even though he *tries* to be gentle he is just too big and I am afraid he will end up injuring another person's dog. Does anyone know how I can get involved with a bullmastiff or large breed playgroup in my area? He would love this! When he tries to play with our female Boston Terrier she literally trembles in fear! Thanks! Megan Valentin
[notify]
Jeannie

Stay away from- my SuzyQ

Barked: Tue Aug 11, '09 7:45pm PST 
Hello. Mowgli is beautiful! or I should say very handsome. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of advice to give since I'm new here myself, but I did want to say hello. If we end up moving out there, Parker, CO, I'd love a play date. My husbands family lives out there and we are thinking very hard about moving. We actually just got back from there about a month ago. Let me check with my sister in law and see which playgroup she uses and if she knows of any specifically for large breeds.
[notify]
Mowgli

Barked: Wed Aug 12, '09 9:57am PST 
What a touching story on how you got your bullmastiff!
[notify]

Jeannie

Stay away from- my SuzyQ

Barked: Wed Aug 12, '09 9:22pm PST 
Thank you! She's my sweetie!! I did have a couple of thoughts on maybe finding other Bullmastiff owners for you. When we were out there I talked to 2 guys who were walking an 18 month old female through Garden of the Gods, so I know there is at least 1 other one in Colorado Springs. Where I work we have a bullentin board up where our customers can post puppies for sale, training class notices, etc. You could check with local vets to see if they have bullentin boards, maybe make a flyer "Looking for Large Breed Playmates". Check with pet supply stores even feed stores that carry dog supplies. Who knows, there may be more people like you who don't know how to find the proper sized doggie playmates. It's worth a shot, anyway.
[notify]
April

I love You!!

Barked: Fri Aug 14, '09 9:42am PST 
Hello handsome!! My sister and I just left you a welcome pressie, enjoy.
Have a blast and hope to bark to ya soon.
happy dancehappy dancehappy dancehappy dancehappy dance
[notify]