GO!

Training Questions

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Bella and- Bailey

Barked: Sun Jul 19, '09 3:33pm PST 
Hello there! I recently adopted two female bullmastiffs (sisters) who will be 4 in November. They are gentle and I love them. HOWEVER, there are a few issues I have that I believe are caused by the previous owners beingoverly permissive and also because they stopped socializing them over the years. So here it goes--I would love suggesstions:

1. One of the girls (Bailey--the Red) is a BIG time begger. She has even begun to go for the trash and steal food from the counter and table. When she does this, if I can catch her in time, I say "Bailey NO!" Then I make her sit it front of the foodand I say "Leave it!" Then she goes outside for a few minutes. Am I doing the right thing and it will just take time to work?

2. Bailey also has a habit of stealing her sisters food and coming between her sister and me when I am petting. She is trying to establish dominance andI am not sure how to approach it.

3. Bella is a stubborn girl. She is testing me because she will attempt to ignore a command and I have to physically cause her to follow through. Any ideas?

4. Bella has takento growling at the cats and even giving them a little chase. Once again I know she is trying to dominate. She did not do thisduing the 2 month transition nor the first few days she was here fulltime. Now I think that she is taking ownership of the house and is trying to let the cats know that. Right now I tell her "Bella NO!" and make her go outside for a bit.

5. Finally, Bella growls at strangers until she has been introduced. I know that socialization is important in puppy years; but, how can I address this with an adult? She even growled at my grandmother. I want her to learn to trust people that come in the house as long as they are accepted by me.

I would wecome IDeas.
[notify]